Where to Settle Edmonton or Calgary

certainreality

Aug 29, 2007
Hi Everyone,
I have been reading this forum for a while and thanks for all the words of advice, the I have gained from other's postings. I am from Trinidad and will be immigrating to Canada soon. I have just visited Toronto and have decided, its not for my family and I. My wife is a nurse and I am a Business Analyst with the largest oil company in Trinidad, Petrotrin. I cannot seem to decide which city would be better, Edmonton or Calgary. I would like to settle in a place that is open minded, friendly, good to raise a family,has good job prospect, a place I can live peacefully and a friendly environment. We are simple people who just would like to live comfortably and not an ostentatious lifestyle. Any advice as to where we should settle Edmonton or Calgary?

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Welcome to the forum. Someone else might be able to tell you more about these cities than I, but they both have good job prospects. You might want to check the reality market though. It's a boom out west. Check here.

Good luck in your new life.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Each city has different things to offer.

Calgary is the location of the Canadian head offices for the oil companies, so, if you're looking for work in that area again, that's where you'll want to be.

Edmonton has marginally cheaper realestate, but both are still expensive.

From what I've seen, Edmonton is much more multicultural, peacable, and arts focused.

Frankly, I think the best way to decide would be to visit them. I know that can be a very expensive endeavor, but, I think in the end it will save you a ton of headache.

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
Calgary or Edmonton

Calgary is Oil, so there is where you should be, if you want your career path to follow where your experience is. Your wife will be most welcome in either city as a nurse. Not sure what she may have to do to get Licensing though.

Calgary weather is way better than Edmonton's simply because of Lattitude. Calgary is closer to the Mountains if that interests you, but both are Prairie cities and mostly flat except for the river.

I would say they are about even for Culture and Arts, just somewhat different.

The Universities are highly regarded and Graduates from both enjoy good esteme and Salaries. U of A in Edmonton does lean more to the Sciences and U of Calgary to Commerce.

I hope you enjoy your life in Canada.

certainreality

Aug 29, 2007
Thanks

Thanks so far for all the words of advice, I think I feel closer to Edmonton. Please keep the advice and cautions coming.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I live in edmonton and I like it here. I know nothing about Calgary, though. The winter is harsh, yes, but I kinda enjoy that. I'm from the UK originally

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
well it was different for me because I didn't come straight to edmonton. I moved directly into my wife's apartment in a little tiny remote town in the FAR north of alberta, on a Cree reserve. It was only during the winter I came to edmonton so I was already here in alberta.

Immigration for me was easy because I came by the family class immigration route, which takes only about 6 months. It wasn't convenient or cheap but from what i've heard it's a lot better than the skilled worker route. The actual travelling is no big deal... I came as a visitor, and got my permanant residence while I was here, then I had to cross the US border and re-enter to validate it. I spent a total of 45 minutes in the USA. Setting up alberta healthcare is simple enough, just follow the instructions on their website...

Coming from trinidad I expect you might not be prepared for the winter here... In edmonton it sometimes gets down to -30°C, and where i was to start with it hit -50°C a couple of times. Having said that, it's quite dry here so you don't feel it too badly. Lots of layers and a cheerful disposition help. I think the winter in Calgary is usually better but it can still get cold at times, and I think their weather is less predictable because they're so much closer to the mountains.

The biggest difficulty for me was crossing the road. In england we drive on the left so I always looked the wrong way. Also here when you stand by a road, cars stop to let you cross, which is very embarrassing if you were just trying to decide whether you needed to cross. Also they have jaywalking laws here which don't exist in england, so you have to cross at crossings.

Another thing I'll never quite get used to is the SIZE of Canada. Everything is further apart, and bigger. The towns are bigger, the houses are bigger, the cars are bigger, the roads are bigger... and it's perfectly normal to drive for 24 hours to get somewhere. In england, if you drive for 24 hours, you'll get wet, unless you go in circles.

As Karrie mentioned, Edmonton is highly multicultural... my landlord is from trinidad, in fact. Unfortunately there are some Canadians who see this as a bad thing, but generally I feel very safe and happy in the city.

The REALLY hard thing in either edmonton or calgary is finding a place to live. I spent months looking for an apartment which allows children, and when I finally got someone who answered the phone, they always turned out to be either not renting, or not renting to families with children. When I found an apartment I had no choice but to take it, despite the fact it's not ideal. Canadians whine about the cost of the rent in edmonton, but for a british person it's actually quite cheap. The same goes for a lot of things.... gas, for instance costs half of what it costs at home, and yet the Canadians moan about it all the time.

My overall impression is that Canada is a fantastic place to live, alberta is the place to get a job, for sure, but not a house, and most Canadians don't know how good they've got it.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to add me to msn or email me or PM me or whatever. I'm happy to help.

certainreality

Aug 29, 2007
well it was different for me because I didn't come straight to edmonton. I moved directly into my wife's apartment in a little tiny remote town in the FAR north of alberta, on a Cree reserve. It was only during the winter I came to edmonton so I was already here in alberta.

Immigration for me was easy because I came by the family class immigration route, which takes only about 6 months. It wasn't convenient or cheap but from what i've heard it's a lot better than the skilled worker route. The actual travelling is no big deal... I came as a visitor, and got my permanant residence while I was here, then I had to cross the US border and re-enter to validate it. I spent a total of 45 minutes in the USA. Setting up alberta healthcare is simple enough, just follow the instructions on their website...

Coming from trinidad I expect you might not be prepared for the winter here... In edmonton it sometimes gets down to -30°C, and where i was to start with it hit -50°C a couple of times. Having said that, it's quite dry here so you don't feel it too badly. Lots of layers and a cheerful disposition help. I think the winter in Calgary is usually better but it can still get cold at times, and I think their weather is less predictable because they're so much closer to the mountains.

The biggest difficulty for me was crossing the road. In england we drive on the left so I always looked the wrong way. Also here when you stand by a road, cars stop to let you cross, which is very embarrassing if you were just trying to decide whether you needed to cross. Also they have jaywalking laws here which don't exist in england, so you have to cross at crossings.

Another thing I'll never quite get used to is the SIZE of Canada. Everything is further apart, and bigger. The towns are bigger, the houses are bigger, the cars are bigger, the roads are bigger... and it's perfectly normal to drive for 24 hours to get somewhere. In england, if you drive for 24 hours, you'll get wet, unless you go in circles.

As Karrie mentioned, Edmonton is highly multicultural... my landlord is from trinidad, in fact. Unfortunately there are some Canadians who see this as a bad thing, but generally I feel very safe and happy in the city.

The REALLY hard thing in either edmonton or calgary is finding a place to live. I spent months looking for an apartment which allows children, and when I finally got someone who answered the phone, they always turned out to be either not renting, or not renting to families with children. When I found an apartment I had no choice but to take it, despite the fact it's not ideal. Canadians whine about the cost of the rent in edmonton, but for a british person it's actually quite cheap. The same goes for a lot of things.... gas, for instance costs half of what it costs at home, and yet the Canadians moan about it all the time.

My overall impression is that Canada is a fantastic place to live, alberta is the place to get a job, for sure, but not a house, and most Canadians don't know how good they've got it.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to add me to msn or email me or PM me or whatever. I'm happy to help.
Thanks for your words of advice, so there are trinis there. I am applying through the Skill work class and its has taken 2 1/2 yrs. I heard finding a place is hard and that scares me.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
This site might help - about halfway down are listings for the Trinidad and Tobago Canadian Association which has contacts in both cities - unfortunately, only the Edmonton one appears to be on the 'net.

http://www.ttmissions.com/nationals.html

For what it's worth, I have spent a fair bit of time in Calgary this year, and find it very multicultural. Here's a listing of their various Festivals this year, and I believe there is one more that's missing - held just a few weeks ago.
http://www.canada.com/cityguides/summerguide/story.html?id=ae820ad4-27be-4bc4-94ca-bebe4ed221ef

I suspect if one compared the sterotypical "white-european" descendants with all others, in two groups, the population would be close to half-and-half. Just from appearances, much of the non-white populace would be South-Asian, Near-Eastern or Oriental - but that's a "visual judgement", of which I am reluctant to make anything further.

They have an excellent Rapid-Transit rail system (at least to the area that I was in), and excellent hospitals, as I am told.

And yes, the weather is somewhat more temperate than Edmonton, but it still gets brutal for a guy from B. C. - you will soon learn what a "touque" is - LOL!

joltek

Jul 12, 2007
Or you can just reside in Red Deer, a small city current populations 47,000 locate [SIZE=-1]conviently. [/SIZE]right between Calgary and Edmonton, from Red Deer it's a 2hrs. drive to Edmonton,1hr. 45 min. to Calgary.

I live in Red Deer and I commute back and forth to work in Calgary everyday, I lose about 3hrs. a day driving time depending on how heavy the Calgary traffic is.

In Red Deer we respect the whole multiculturecism thing, but the standards is that we expects newcomers/immigrants to at least tried to assimilate some of the Canadian's values and cultures, while keeping, celebrates their own cultures.

So if you expect to find a small piece of Trinidad in Red Deer, I'm afraid that you will be disappointed !

BTW: When a policeman give you a fines ticket for traffics violations.. DO NOT tried to pay the fines by giving the money to the policeman.

Giving/paying money to a policeman for anything is against the law!

You take the ticket and pay the fines at the court !

This is just one of those tip from one immigrant to another, to make your transition a bit easier.

I almost got arrested the 1.st time I got a ticket,I was driving over the speed limits, I got ticketed and when I tried to paid the ticket by giving the policeman money...He freaked out .:)heheh

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I have some photos of Edmonton on my Micro****e Winblows Live (TM)(BS)(C) Space here. They're mostly uninsteresting but it might help you formulate an image of edmonton in the winter time. Scroll down through the albums till you find the one named "edmonton".

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
You should probably also mention that Alberta is rat free, because all those photos of cute little gophers might lead someone to believe that they are Alberta's variety of rat.

certainreality

Aug 29, 2007
Going to Alberta

I never thought that I would have chosen Alberta to settle..........I have been to Canada eight years in a row and I have always stayed in Toronto. People in Toronto are nice but everyone complains and people just dont seem to look happy. Dont get me wrong the People are nice and friendly but just negative about their reality. Having researched about Alberta I think its best to go there, I know about oil booms(Alberta is of course different), I am from Trinidad and work in the largest oil and gas company , they may not last forever but if it is well managed its worth for a while to come.I have read this forum everyday and I feel I can make a life there.

Katherine

Dec 17, 2010
Hi,
I am a new immigrant to Canada now living in the US. Can anyone tell me what is the housing situation in Edmonton AB right now? Is it easy to find an apartment to rent? Generally how much it costs for a two bedrooms apartment? How much is the annual auto insurance (basic) for a car say year 2000? Thank you in advance.