how is electrician paid in Calary, for beginner?

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
electrician program is a four year long apprenticeship you must work a certain amount of hours every year to be eligible to attend nait or sait (the trade schools) for a six to 8 week training course which will advance you on your carreer track towards a journeymans ticket the pay scale is as follows
1st...50% of a journeymans wage about 19.00/hr 1.5x after forty hours and sometimes 2x on weekends
2nd year 60%
3rd year 70%
4th year 85%
these are an aprroximation,but should be fairly close
Les

Anthony_czl

Jun 12, 2007
electrician program is a four year long apprenticeship you must work a certain amount of hours every year to be eligible to attend nait or sait (the trade schools) for a six to 8 week training course which will advance you on your carreer track towards a journeymans ticket the pay scale is as follows
1st...50% of a journeymans wage about 19.00/hr 1.5x after forty hours and sometimes 2x on weekends
2nd year 60%
3rd year 70%
4th year 85%
these are an aprroximation,but should be fairly close
Les
Thank you SO much!

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
That forumla is right. So, the actual pay comes down to what the journeyman is paid, which differs from project to project. Probably about $18 to $30 an hour, depending if it is maintenance of office buildings [less pay] or construction of new facilities - oilpatch construction pays well, but so do oil facility "shutdowns" where the work needs to be done right and fast.

Actually, I was a "beginner" electrician in Alberta, but that was back in the 1985-90 era. In downtown Calgary office maintenance job, as a "Second Year" apprentice I was making only $7.50 an hour [44 hours a week]. Third Year - after passing the 7 week schooling [for each year] [with only UIC paid] got me up to about $9 an hour. Terrible - but it was bad for journeymen too, obviously, who were only paid about $14 an hour.

But it may all be different now - there was talk of abandoning the apprenticeship program altogether. I don't know if it happened yet.