Need some info (IT jobs/Edmonton/Etc) please

tom.krysiak

Apr 17, 2007
Hello Everyone

I am not really sure where to look for help so I will ask the questions here hoping that people will kindly share their information with me.
My name is Tom, I am 24/Polish and looking to move to Edmonton in about a year or so. I used to live in Alberta between 2001 and 2004 when I went to college and had some good times ;-)
Currently I live in Dublin Ireland where the IT market is BOOMING, and I mean that - there is plenty of work in this sector. I know pretty much everything about Alberta and the west in general but as I never worked in Canada during my stay I am not sure what are the salaries like.
I know that there is plenty of work in the west, it has been like that for a while now - but is there a demand for computer staff/IT professionals?
If any of you know anything please kindly share it with me, or even send me an email to tom.krysiak@gmail.com if you dont want to post info publicly.
I want to know what kind of money I would be looking at. I have 5 years of IT experience to date, finished IT College in Canada, have a few exams done mostly Comptia and MCP's working on MCSA and currently work as a main site engineer for a government agency here in Dublin.
If you know a place where I could look for a job or at least some info please be so kind and provide it - I ll bring you a Pint of Guiness when I arrive :cool:

Thanks everyone and hope to see you soon!

Jsan

Nominee Member
Apr 6, 2007
Tom,

A good site to search for jobs in Canada would be workopolis.ca . As far as relocating to Alberta, I don't want to discourage you however currently Alberta is incredibly expensive due to the province being in the middle of an oil boom. Houses have gone from an average price of around 170K to over 400k plus. There is practically zero vacancy rate for apartments and prices are very expensive and going higher every month. Unfortunately even though the cost of living is skyrocketing, the wages for the majority of jobs including IT positions have not even come close to keeping up with the escalating prices. The boom will not last for ever and prices will eventually come down and hopefully not crash like the last economic bust but in the mean time I personally would search somewhere else in Canada. This is just my opinion but my best advice would be for you to do your own research and determine if it is worthwhile to make the move.