Accomodation in Edmonton

driekus

Jan 6, 2007
I have accepted my job in Edmonton and start late April. Im looking for advice as to whether it is better to find a place prior to leaving for canada or take my chances that I can find something quickly.

I will be looking for 1 bdrm/studio apartment close to university of alberta.
If anyone can suggest any websites for finding accomodation please post them here, would greatly appreciate it. Any other advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Hmmmm...well, I know this is probably a bit later than will work for you, but my wife and I live near the University (she's just finishing up there) and are moving to Turkey. We will be vacating our rental home. The landlords are AMAZING. While everyone elses rents have been shooting through the roof, they have not touched ours in the 4 years we have lived here. Right now, we pay 750 dollars for a two bedroom home, complete with appliances, a HUGE yard, a garage, and a great location. I imagine they would up the rent for the next renter, but even still, they are very fair about things.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Your moving to Turkey?

Wha.. why?

Permanently?

A third world country? Willingly?

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Your moving to Turkey?

Wha.. why?

Permanently?

Well...my wife got a job there. It's for two years. And, I'm prettty excited. It's going to be different. I don't think Turkey is really a third world country. I mean, Ankara, where we are moving is very modern...so are parts of Istanbul. Towards the east it's a little more...ummm..rustic...but, I like the idea of seeing that as well. No, I think it's going to be quite the life experience!

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Well...my wife got a job there. It's for two years. And, I'm prettty excited. It's going to be different. I don't think Turkey is really a third world country. I mean, Ankara, where we are moving is very modern...so are parts of Istanbul. Towards the east it's a little more...ummm..rustic...but, I like the idea of seeing that as well. No, I think it's going to be quite the life experience!

I hope you have internet their that can get on N. American websites.

Kiwicat

Feb 4, 2007
New Zealand
Hmmmm...well, I know this is probably a bit later than will work for you, but my wife and I live near the University (she's just finishing up there) and are moving to Turkey. We will be vacating our rental home. The landlords are AMAZING. While everyone elses rents have been shooting through the roof, they have not touched ours in the 4 years we have lived here. Right now, we pay 750 dollars for a two bedroom home, complete with appliances, a HUGE yard, a garage, and a great location. I imagine they would up the rent for the next renter, but even still, they are very fair about things.

When are you moving? I am looking for a place as well....

Youstah

Oct 29, 2007
hi falks...I'll be moving to Edmonton in January. Anyone else have been blassed with great landlords, just like snfu73 was? I'd be looking for a 1 bdrm place to live (could be an appartment or a basement...or maybe I could even consider roommates...). I calculate my budget to be $700 to $850....wouldn't want go any higher.
The company I'll be working for is located on 15811 112 Avenue NW...so I'll probably be looking somewhere in this area...or maybe close to UofA as I plan to go to school on a PT basis. Anyone?
P.S. I love this site, there's so many helpful people here :)

ccinarbas

Dec 3, 2007
Why not?

Your moving to Turkey?

Wha.. why?

Permanently?

I believe you have no idea about Turkey and you think that Turkish people using camels for transportation.
First I want to say before you comment about something you have to know what you're talking about. And yes Turkey has internet and in fact it's much better than Canada.
Snfu73 I wish you best luck in Turkey, and I am from Ankara, I am sure you gonna love Turkey. Ankara is kinda boring because it's capital city but Istanbul is one of the best cities in the world.
If you have any question or advise you're more than welcome.

warrior_won

Time Out
Nov 21, 2007
When I was in Edmonton, I stayed at the Church of the Republic of the People of the Street. Brothel city, baby. I was laid up in jail for protesting Ralph Klein and his merry band of oil slurping hooligans in the northwest. I'll never forget. The energy was amazing. It was the time of my life.

No! Wait! That was someone else. Ya know, maybe it wasn't Edmonton either. Oh, right! Sorry! That wasn't me. I've never been to Edmonton.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I believe you have no idea about Turkey and you think that Turkish people using camels for transportation.
First I want to say before you comment about something you have to know what you're talking about. And yes Turkey has internet and in fact it's much better than Canada.
Snfu73 I wish you best luck in Turkey, and I am from Ankara, I am sure you gonna love Turkey. Ankara is kinda boring because it's capital city but Istanbul is one of the best cities in the world.
If you have any question or advise you're more than welcome.

I'd like to visit Turkey, there must be some excellent museum.:smile:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
When I was in Edmonton, I stayed at the Church of the Republic of the People of the Street. Brothel city, baby. I was laid up in jail for protesting Ralph Klein and his merry band of oil slurping hooligans in the northwest. I'll never forget. The energy was amazing. It was the time of my life.

No! Wait! That was someone else. Ya know, maybe it wasn't Edmonton either. Oh, right! Sorry! That wasn't me. I've never been to Edmonton.

What school are you from man? I'v been cloistered for a long time and have not related to the RW in a meaningful way so I'm ignorant. Perhaps we could exchange diplomatic papers. :cool: