Oil sands jobs?

Diemkoff

Feb 19, 2007
Hey guys,

My name is Andrew, I'm 18, and I'm from Minnesota, USA. I heard a report a while back regarding the oil found in the sand around Alberta. I heard that the jobs are very high paying.

I was just wondering if any of you might have more information about the oil-related jobs in Canada.

I would appreciate any insight,
Thank you;
Andrew

lieexpsr

Electoral Member
Feb 9, 2007
I may be able to help you Andrew. I was involved with a consulting firm in 99 in the Syncrude plant just north of Ft. McMurray, Alberta. And also in the three following years in engineering projects for 2-3 months at a time. Yes, the money is very good but the conditions are not what I would want to be stuck in for very long. At the Syncrude plant and the Suncor plant It smells sort of like sticking your head in a drum of Diesel fuel. For a young guy starting out and trying to get a trade or trying to get a start in almost any occupation it is a great place to go. One more thing though, if you go up there be prepared to pay big money for a place to stay. It's best to have a job to go to and if you have any work experience background there are many companies in Edmonton who hire from there for the tarsands. If you have a trade you may be able to live in a camp with room and board porvided. Any other questions let me know via p.m. if you like.

Konstantin

Apr 2, 2007
Hi lieexpsr,

Can you tell me where to go about to start looking for oil related job in Ft. McMurray. Unfortunately don't have any related experience, but working at construction site in Calgary right now. I am 34 years old and willing to learn. What are the best steps to take?

P.S. Sorry didn't find how to p.m. here. ;)
Thanks.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
lieexpsr was banned.

You can't Pm till you've got some posts under your belt

welcome to the forum

karrie knows quite a lot about oil jobs, maybe she will see your request and post some answers...

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Andrew,
My advice is to stay in the states until you have got a job lined up over the phone.
Canada Customs is going to want to see a work visa`(unless you lie).
Work visa's are no problem for the Canadian company who is hiring you to provide.

James02

May 17, 2007
Andrew,
My advice is to stay in the states until you have got a job lined up over the phone.
Canada Customs is going to want to see a work visa`(unless you lie).
Work visa's are no problem for the Canadian company who is hiring you to provide.

Correct me if I’m wrong, if you live in Europe they are not going to batter an eye lid employing you over the phone
Also you could always try for a working holiday visa

loyal747

Jul 12, 2008
orlando fl
hi there

my name is rode, any body can tell where can i start aply for thi oil sand job or any body know a company that hire me b4 i can aply for a work visa.

jmaatman

Mar 10, 2011
hey there

my name is justin and i am inerested in getting a job in the oil sands. i hear that the pay is quite well. how would i go about acquiring this employment with no experience

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I would politely ask all the foriegners to seek work in their own countries. We are facing our highest unemployment rates in decades here and there are plenty of Canadians that need the work, me for one.

No offense but we need to look after our own first. Hope you understand.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I would politely ask all the foriegners to seek work in their own countries. We are facing our highest unemployment rates in decades here and there are plenty of Canadians that need the work, me for one.

No offense but we need to look after our own first. Hope you understand.

Are you willing to come to Alberta and work?

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
I'll repeat this from the Alberta Camp job Post.

Any kind of construction job in Ft Mac requires a certain amount of training ie safety, etc etc.
And anyone on a constuction job where you could be expose to petroleum vapor, will mean that you have a clean shaven face, no mostach either, clean means clean! This is because you need to have a tight fit for a fresh air mask.

Having been up there I often saw young people sleeping outside in the parks, or wherever, because they could not find a place to live in. So if your going to survive up there you gotta take a lotta money with you and maybe hotel it or something till you can get yourself established. Many people will not rent to new comers or those who have no rent history.

If you know nothing about working, my suggestion is to go up there and begin by getting a job at a service store like Walmart, Timmys or any other fast food place.
Forget about making the big bucks in construction, nobody will hire you until you have proven yourself first.
By starting at the bottom you can feel you way around and slowly work yourself up into a better job if you got the right stuff.

Unless your really committed and have over come hardships and diversity before, forget going up their, you'll never survive.