Need a Camp Job in Alberta

PaddyB1957

Sep 29, 2006
Hi everyone,

I realize that there is a boom in Alberta and there is lots of work, but when I look on the internet there doesn't seem to be too many camp jobs....is there somewhere on the net that I have not found, ( i doubt it tho ), how does one apply or find out about these jobs ? Is it better to drive to Ft. Mcmurray and take your chances ???? I'm moving out west from ontario in the next week...any help would be appreciated..thanks :confused:

Clara Lights

Feb 12, 2007
Did you find a job at one of these camp yet. if so I am seeking some info on this. Can you help??
Thanking you in advance

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You can't just get a camp job, because the rigs don't stay in one spot, thus they never know when they will be in camp and when they won't. The only way to get a 'camp job', is to apply to a camp company to be a cook/janitor/campy. But the pay isn't what people moving to AB are expecting, you're likely looking for rig work. My best advice is to phone a rig company and ask them some questions.

Clara Lights

Feb 12, 2007
Do you have any company names or phone numbers for the oil rig jobs????????? the right direction would help.
Thanks again for your reply.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Do you have any company names or phone numbers for the oil rig jobs????????? the right direction would help.
Thanks again for your reply.
Alberta's a huge province, with tons of small rig companies. Where exactly is he planning on working? You need to narrow down what it is exactly you're looking for.

RUEZ

Nominee Member
Feb 12, 2007
PG
Might I suggest as a first step check the HRDC job bank website for jobs in Grande Prairie and Fort MacMurray, as that is where most of the camps are. Also a google search for Alberta oil companies will turn up a list of various ones in the province.

Clara Lights

Feb 12, 2007
sorry about that he is looking for heavy exquipment or backhoe or excavator jobs, with 21 yres of experince.
Thank you again for replying so fast.

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
Sanjel pays stipend

Get a job and a place to live * before * you get here.

I know companies like Sanjel are looking for drivers, and they're willing to train.

Know a young fellow who works for SanJel. He hired on with $3100 a month stipend for which he only has to take his turn in the shop when there is no hauling to do. Last Fall they increased that to $3600. He gets this regardless of work; just to be available should there be something that needs to be done. He has had rather a time with a place to stay though. Has moved 3 times in one year, as he has stayed with friends etc.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
sorry about that he is looking for heavy exquipment or backhoe or excavator jobs, with 21 yres of experince.
Thank you again for replying so fast.

Okay, he should shoot for Fort McMurray then. Not a camp job, but the company will work out housing with him. They are always screaming for heavy equipment operators. Google "Fort McMurray, heavy equipment operations", and you'll likely end up with pages upon pages of info.

Best of luck.

James02

May 17, 2007
Get a job and a place to live * before * you get here.

I know companies like Sanjel are looking for drivers, and they're willing to train.

I have read part of there web site.
All the driving jobs are for class 1 Artic, but it did not say weather or not it was driving on the road or driving in the quarry, or is it for heavy equipment operators
I did not see from there training link that they offer class 1 driver training

You can't just get a camp job, because the rigs don't stay in one spot, thus they never know when they will be in camp and when they won't. The only way to get a 'camp job', is to apply to a camp company to be a cook/janitor/campy. But the pay isn't what people moving to AB are expecting, you're likely looking for rig work. My best advice is to phone a rig company and ask them some questions.

What is the difference between a camp job, oil sands job, and a rig job?

Might I suggest as a first step check the HRDC job bank website for jobs in Grande Prairie and Fort MacMurray, as that is where most of the camps are. Also a google search for Alberta oil companies will turn up a list of various ones in the province.

Do you have a link for the HRDC please

Jsan

Nominee Member
Apr 6, 2007
Have you actually looked at what the cost of living is in this Province? Just over the last month renters in Edmonton have been getting hit with 500 dollar per month rate increases. There is practically zero vacancy and rents are going through the roof everywhere. Sure there are other jobs outside of oil but do not expect salaries much higher than other places in Canada. The misconception that everyone in Alberta is making huge salaries etc. is just that, a misconception. The reality is people are having to take on extra jobs just to pay their living expenses. Some people are literally being forced out onto the streets due to the skyrocketing cost of living and Inflation rate. Yeah, great place to live!

James02

May 17, 2007
So how much do you think a laborer would earn in the oil industry in the hot spot area
And how much do you think a laborer would earn out side the oil industry in the hot spot area
I take it there has not been a big slow down in the oil industry as of yet, other wise house prices would of dropped

Jsan

Nominee Member
Apr 6, 2007
I'm not sure how much a laborer makes because I am pretty much out of touch with that side of the job market. From what I have seen posted on signs and such around the city the starting wages seem to be between 12 - 15 dollars per hour. If you have your ticket in a trade or are a truck driver (class?, air brakes) the wages will be higher. The problem is though that the cost of living is VERY expensive and getting higher everyday. You have to have a very Well paying job to get ahead in this province nowadays. get a well paying job is not nearly as easy as everyone outside of the province is led to believe. People in lower income jobs are really struggling in this boom economy. Here is another of many news articles on the issue.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=1e317ecd-178d-4a55-b619-129cd0e3f629