Jobs In Fort. Mac - Camps - Please Read (Fort Mac)


caperdan
#1
Hello,

I'm from the east coast of Canada. I have heard many stories and know many people who tell me about "The Great Opportunities" and "High Wages" people get paid out Fort. McMurray.

The reason Iím writing this is because I would like to know where to begin. One friend of mine has a sister who works out Fort Mac. I'm told she gets paid $28.00 an hour, all the over time you want, and living in a camp just to fill water jugs. Can this be true?

I would like to know how and where you can apply for these magical jobs. I work full time in the Networking/I.T. field. With student loans and credit cards loans I have, I like the thought of going out to do brainless "filling water jugs" type of work and coming back to completely pay off all my debt. I also would like to add, that I like the thought of being in a camp in the middle of no where. Because that means I can sit on my money and save without any temptations.

Is it possible to apply for these jobs? Where do I apply? How do I obtain them? I hope you can help. I find this all a bit confusing!
 
OilSands.InfoMine
#2
I participate with a company that posts as many FT McMurray jobs as possable. The site is www.Oilsands.InfoMine.com this site focuses on the Mining/Oil and construction aspect enjoy. We have also lauched another www.fortmcmurrayonline.com this is new and we offer lots of information on the territory shortly we will be offering a job board here as well the focus will be a little diffrent enjoy ALL!!!
 
Lester
#3
no temptations huh, there is booze, gambling, dope, hookers,nutters you name it. there are 7000 to 10000 bored people with tons of money in these places its anarchy with a thin venneer of civility
 
newfieboy26
#4
Hey can anyone be able to help me find a camp job in alberta I'm from newfoundland and I would reall like to find a camp job in alberta
 
karrie
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by LesterView Post

no temptations huh, there is booze, gambling, dope, hookers,nutters you name it. there are 7000 to 10000 bored people with tons of money in these places its anarchy with a thin venneer of civility

yeah... when you hear of guys getting tossed from camp for selling themselves for drugs, you realize that they can, quite often, become not much more than a glorified prison. Or when the police show up to arrest the campy for having raped a prostitute at gun point on the last supply run.
 
Ten Packs
#6
I haven't been there, but I have talked to enough people who have. It's a lot like Ft. St. John was 25 years ago - a small City with bars, gambling, drugs, hookers - like Lester says. The cops back at that time would be outside a beer parlour before NOON, with a Paddy Wagon. There was ALL KINDS of Domestic abuse, and guys on their days off wandering around drunk with a roll of cash that they could barely stuff in their pockets.

If you have ANY weakness in your self-discipline, it is NOT the place for you - you'll be sorry.
 
#juan
#7
I worked on the original project in 1965. It was the only camp job I ever worked on. I was there until the project was finished........The money was good but the boredom was deadly.
 
baseball08
#8
If someone could help me or give me some advise on how to get work at a good camp that would be muchly appreciated. I have four-teen years experience in management but I am willing to try any of the positions.

Thanks
 
lisap123
#9
Hi,
I am also looking for information on camp work in Alberta.Did you find out anything?I am from Nfld as well and living ing in Ontario.Similar situation as you.
Would like to hear back ,
Thanks, Lisa
 
baseball08
#10
Hi Lisa,

I wish I had some info for you but I have not heard a thing.If I hear anything I will let you know. I think they need more women in these camps,What do you think,HaHa!! Just
joking,I am willing to start anywhere and work myself up as I'm sure you are.

Velvet
 
Single caper
#11
Im looking for some help in trying to find a camp job in Fort Mac. Im not sure how to go about it . Im thinking of a cleaning job cleaning rooms. I would need camp as I am from the east coast. So anyone with any suggestions please reply.
 
harleyhunny
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by caperdanView Post

Hello,

I'm from the east coast of Canada. I have heard many stories and know many people who tell me about "The Great Opportunities" and "High Wages" people get paid out Fort. McMurray.

The reason Iím writing this is because I would like to know where to begin. One friend of mine has a sister who works out Fort Mac. I'm told she gets paid $28.00 an hour, all the over time you want, and living in a camp just to fill water jugs. Can this be true?

I would like to know how and where you can apply for these magical jobs. I work full time in the Networking/I.T. field. With student loans and credit cards loans I have, I like the thought of going out to do brainless "filling water jugs" type of work and coming back to completely pay off all my debt. I also would like to add, that I like the thought of being in a camp in the middle of no where. Because that means I can sit on my money and save without any temptations.

Is it possible to apply for these jobs? Where do I apply? How do I obtain them? I hope you can help. I find this all a bit confusing!

First of all they do not want you going there if you do not have work or a place to stay as they are scarce and expensive. If you google Edmonton Journal, go to jobs and there you will find a place to put in your qualifications, etc. then they pull up jobs in that area, and criteria, fields etc. My husband works there on occassion and he said they do not want you there if you do not have work or a place to stay. We plan to take an rv up there to sell it should go quickly.
And no you do not get paid 28.00 an hour to "just fill up waterjugs", it is not easy work and not for those looking for an easy job at good money. My brother cooks in one of those camps, and it is not an easy life. There are no jobs there that qualify for this brainless trip you are on. And I would not go there saying **** like this, as most are real men, and real hard *** people and would not appreciate some college boy putting them down.
They are hard working people that support all the whiners and takers in this country that want it easy.
If you want to work honestly and fit in you better change that attitude towards the work or you will not make it there. These are tough towns.They are also not brainless enoughto not know an insult when they hear one.
Good luck with that saving money thingy you sound like you are not very good at it, or you would not be in the fix you are in, and temptation would not get the better of you, and looking for an easy way out, does not always work. Working in these remote places is not easy.
 
harleyhunny
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by lisap123View Post

Hi,
I am also looking for information on camp work in Alberta.Did you find out anything?I am from Nfld as well and living ing in Ontario.Similar situation as you.
Would like to hear back ,
Thanks, Lisa

My husband and brother, as I said has worked there, and unfortunately only choice was a camp. It is clean, but crowded, and the women are not debutantes most are more hard *** than the men, and not many good to look at, reason they are in a camp, they at least can get some. I would say look into it more, it is not a nice place for a woman,Not nice ones. I hear of manyh not nice stories. This year my husband is going to have the RV at hand in case he has to go back because he will not stay in a camp ever again.
Look in any Alberta Paper. If you want to work in the kitchen just google camp jobs in Alberta, or PPI. Good luck I would not let my daughter go there, not for a million bucks. No way.
 
Chriskander
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by harleyhunnyView Post

My husband and brother, as I said has worked there, and unfortunately only choice was a camp. It is clean, but crowded, and the women are not debutantes most are more hard *** than the men, and not many good to look at, reason they are in a camp, they at least can get some. I would say look into it more, it is not a nice place for a woman,Not nice ones. I hear of manyh not nice stories. This year my husband is going to have the RV at hand in case he has to go back because he will not stay in a camp ever again.
Look in any Alberta Paper. If you want to work in the kitchen just google camp jobs in Alberta, or PPI. Good luck I would not let my daughter go there, not for a million bucks. No way.

I think harleyhunny offers good advice to you inexperienced hopefuls who want to make big money in Ft Mac. This is one ugly town -- I started in the oil-patch in Libya in the 60s, Benghazi was considered the ******* of the world -- well Ft. Mac can give it a run for that money.

I've not worked out of the city since January 2002 and even then it was hard to find a room to rent or get into a restaurant without standing in line. I'd suggest the camps are no worse than the city, although I only drove past them, or saw the herds climbing on the buses in the morning.

I saw some construction camp life when I worked on building a dam. Luckily my home was only a few miles away from the construction site. They reduce men to a tribal level -- prey for any bullies (or worse) unless they belong to strong group. That means you need to be a skilled member of a trade so that your buddies value you. Anyone unskilled should first work in a smaller league to establish themselves. Of course that means you have to become a beer swilling member of a clan group with brains like hockey pucks.

The women can get on quite well if they're tough enough. As some female soldiers from Iraq have written, even generally uninteresting women can become queens in a world filled with lonely men, but I wouldn't want my daughter there either. There are usually women there looking to hook up with the next guy with money to come along -- they'll be back on the street when the job (and money) ends.

When winter oil exploration meant staying in a camp in the Arctic or the wilds for the winter (30 years ago) I've stayed in smaller camps where the weed smoke coming through the heating system would choke you, where you need to clear the mouse droppings out of your bunk before using it, and the swill on offer in the mess trailer would turn your stomach. The only difference I see with today's camps is that the accommodation and the food is better. The company you live among is a lot worse.

I'd go to the Middle East again before I'd work in Fort McMurray.

Chriskander
 
baseball08
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by ChriskanderView Post

I think harleyhunny offers good advice to you inexperienced hopefuls who want to make big money in Ft Mac. This is one ugly town -- I started in the oil-patch in Libya in the 60s, Benghazi was considered the ******* of the world -- well Ft. Mac can give it a run for that money.
I've not worked out of the city since January 2002 and even then it was hard to find a room to rent or get into a restaurant without standing in line. I'd suggest the camps are no worse than the city, although I only drove past them, or saw the herds climbing on the buses in the morning.
I saw some construction camp life when I worked on building a dam. Luckily my home was only a few miles away from the construction site. They reduce men to a tribal level -- prey for any bullies (or worse) unless they belong to strong group. That means you need to be a skilled member of a trade so that your buddies value you. Anyone unskilled should first work in a smaller league to establish themselves. Of course that means you have to become a beer swilling member of a clan group with brains like hockey pucks.
The women can get on quite well if they're tough enough. As some female soldiers from Iraq have written, even generally uninteresting women can become queens in a world filled with lonely men, but I wouldn't want my daughter there either. There are usually women there looking to hook up with the next guy with money to come along -- they'll be back on the street when...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Thanks for the good advice Chriskander!!
 
harleyhunny
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by ChriskanderView Post

I think harleyhunny offers good advice to you inexperienced hopefuls who want to make big money in Ft Mac. This is one ugly town -- I started in the oil-patch in Libya in the 60s, Benghazi was considered the ******* of the world -- well Ft. Mac can give it a run for that money.
I've not worked out of the city since January 2002 and even then it was hard to find a room to rent or get into a restaurant without standing in line. I'd suggest the camps are no worse than the city, although I only drove past them, or saw the herds climbing on the buses in the morning.
I saw some construction camp life when I worked on building a dam. Luckily my home was only a few miles away from the construction site. They reduce men to a tribal level -- prey for any bullies (or worse) unless they belong to strong group. That means you need to be a skilled member of a trade so that your buddies value you. Anyone unskilled should first work in a smaller league to establish themselves. Of course that means you have to become a beer swilling member of a clan group with brains like hockey pucks.
The women can get on quite well if they're tough enough. As some female soldiers from Iraq have written, even generally uninteresting women can become queens in a world filled with lonely men, but I wouldn't want my daughter there either. There are usually women there looking to hook up with the next guy with money to come along -- they'll be back on the street...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Thanks. It is the truth spoken from the experience of others that I trust.
 
harleyhunny
#17
Wanted to come back on and apologize for the error in a name of one of the places to look for a broom pushing job, it should say PTI (not ppi). They run one of the better camps in Fort Mac, kitchen is open hubby says 24/7. It will also cost you around 160.00 a day to stay in one, but it is 3 meals a day, lunch (for work), and a room, bathroom. Bare nuts. This year he is going to take the RV if he is there again for any length of time. Camps are for single people he says, Company buys his accommodations no matter where he goes, and he has a choice, but up there he did not, other than his own RV (company will pay for that). Usually he gets to stay in pretty nice hotels etc, but there are none in Fort Mac.
We will also sell the RV this summer out there somewhere too as there are lots looking for RV's. And we will be able to get a better price because of the situation. I have never been to Fort Mac, and do not want to. Some places are not for visiting, and this is one, as is a lot of these "work" towns.

And it is true of Fort Mac and women, a two is a ten.
 
Albertabound
#18
Crack Heads.....watch out for the crack heads. I don't know the percentage but a LOT of the people up there are cracked and coked out. You'll know them when you see them.

I felt the camps where actually pretty good. All the camps I stayed in were new and cleaned daily, 21 inch tv in every room. The food is good if you are in a smaller camp but when you get into a 1200 man camp, you are pretty much eating jail food. It's not the cook's fault it's just hard to cook for 1200 people. These are all oil company camps, that's why they are new and food is ok. But, if you get into a private contractors camp, some can be and often are basically unliveable. You have to be a certain type of person to live in work camps. Like mentioned earlier it's not for everyone. Being single is the big thing, but then you look around at the other people there and they are single or divorced and paying the ex. And you definitely won't meet the love of your life there. So basically as long as you stay in a camp you will also stay single.
 
Lester
#19
for the life of me I can't figure out why they bother to do the pre job drug tests- the crack heads just wait three days and the dope doesn't show up in their system so they pass the test and hit the pipe again. but if you smoke pot it takes about thirty days for the drug to get out of your system. so most pot smokers just go to the head shop and get a piss kit.(synthetic pee) doesn't make any sense to me.
 
harleyhunny
#20
Actually the cooks have to keep it rather on the bland side because of people and allergies these days, spices, etc, no salt. My brother cooks in one.
And anything loaded in Vitamin C that makes you pee a lot, will wash the pot out of your drain in no time, three days, you do not have to go to a hemp shop and pay those ridiculous prices, and these juices are better for you. Pomegranate, cranberry, grape, (orange is not as good for flushing the system like these juices).
 
lone wolf
#21
Pee test is easy enough to beat. If management is serious - and it's NOT a democracy - they can require a blood test. There's no way to beat it and TCH stays in the blood for up to 48 days.

Woof!
 
harleyhunny
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by LesterView Post

for the life of me I can't figure out why they bother to do the pre job drug tests- the crack heads just wait three days and the dope doesn't show up in their system so they pass the test and hit the pipe again. but if you smoke pot it takes about thirty days for the drug to get out of your system. so most pot smokers just go to the head shop and get a piss kit.(synthetic pee) doesn't make any sense to me.

You do not have to supply a blood test.
 
lone wolf
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by harleyhunnyView Post

You do not have to supply a blood test.

Correct ... and they do not have to hire you or keep you in their employ either.
Last edited by lone wolf; Feb 28th, 2008 at 07:33 PM..
 
NEEDCASH
#24
i have a question.. i look online for labour jobs on fort mac all the time and only find trade work.. if the trades are there labours must be there as well.. is there anyway for me to find these jobs on line.. it would be must appreciated if anyone could help..
 
karrie
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by NEEDCASHView Post

i have a question.. i look online for labour jobs on fort mac all the time and only find trade work.. if the trades are there labours must be there as well.. is there anyway for me to find these jobs on line.. it would be must appreciated if anyone could help..

what do you mean by 'labours'?
 
NEEDCASH
#26
i mean that there are lots of trade jobs welders electrician, pipe fitters, so on and so on but what about just guys for clean up, dig , rake, lift , lug and any other manual labor job you can think of..
 
karrie
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by NEEDCASHView Post

i mean that there are lots of trade jobs welders electrician, pipe fitters, so on and so on but what about just guys for clean up, dig , rake, lift , lug and any other manual labor job you can think of..

Oh, those are apprentice welders, pipe fitters, etc... lol.... try looking for an apprenticeship.
 
NEEDCASH
#28
thanks
 
sean9l0
#29
i love how people just post random **** not related to the questions asked at all. GO RANT SOMEWHERE ELSE, THE QUESTION WAS ABOUT FINDING HELP ON GETTING A JOB, not crack heads and hookers, you'll find that in every city in the world.

Anyway Im 20 years old and really thinking of moving out west for about a year to do some work. Im a big guy, x-football player so i can handle tuff work. Im looking for long hours, good pay and hard work.

Looking over the internet all night i've basically come up with alot of BS. If alberta is so strapt for workers, why is it nearly impossible for me to find opportunitys?

Can anyone out there give me some advice or direction that isnt BS on how to get moving and working in alberta???

Thank you for your time.
 
Whisky Stuff
#30
theres lots of work here,even more in fort mac my husbend works there.look in the fort mac news papers.you can be a camp cook asistant for 15 buck a hour to start or a bull cook for the same wage i dont recamend that,they clean the rooms ,wash rooms excet,alot of crap in them toilets.15 buck a hour is the base starting wage for non uinion non trade options in the camp its self you get to eat and stay for free though,meet new people that can help you get into a trade. only 25 to 35% of the people you dont want to be seen with.thats if you want to get to know the good guys/woman that can help you on you jurnay to welth.you got a licence to drive?they need bus drivers to take the workers back and forth from camp to work cite thats a good job 25 buck per hour look for somthing like that you get to meet the workers that sit behind ya daily all different trades its easy to get the right job if you get in with the right people. google fort mcmurray jobs good luck
 

Similar Threads

3
Whatever happened to "jobs jobs jobs"
by Nuggler | Feb 5th, 2010
5
Fort Mc Murray
by cber | Jul 20th, 2006
27
Concentration Camps?????
by darkbeaver | Mar 2nd, 2006
0
The Camps of ICE
by mrmom2 | Sep 13th, 2005
no new posts