Edmonton Relocation

Vexy

Jul 11, 2006
Calgary
Howdy!!
I always hate joining forums just to ask a question, but I stumbled across this site and have so far found the members to be very kind and knowledgeable. Hopefully this will be the start of a long-term posting experience for me and I'll become a familiar face for all of you :D

Anyways, my partner and I are planning on moving to Edmonton within the next month or two. We've searched a few rental websites to get a feel for the housing situation (it's much better than Calgary's current crisis!), but are still a little unsure. I currently work at the hospital in Calgary and hope to find a job at the University of Alberta Hospital, and my partner will be working at Colt Engineering. For the first few months we will be relying on public transportation.

What are some neighbourhoods in those areas that are good? Or ones to avoid? Any advice or comments is greatly appreciated, and I can also answer any questions you may have.

Thanks in advance!

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
I think I mentioned it before on another moving-to-edmonton thread. But if you want things to go well with your housing, never NEVER rent from Boardwalk or West Edmonton Village. It'll save you some money and headaches man.

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
The rental situation in Calgary is tight but exaggerated on the news. Our house is inner city and there are signs on a few houses for rent...and basement suites, etc. A fellow who consults for us just came from Newfoundland and found the upper flor of a nice bungalow for rent for $1050/month. It's within walking distance of his job downtown so he save's on bus fare or parking.

What's tight are actual apartments. the way to go is to rent a condo or house. Apartmentsjust aren't built anymore when mortgage rates are so low. Even many folks in their early 20's here can make a nest egg and are buying and not renting

Fort Mac, Brooks and a few mid sized towns have an accomadation 'crisis' but most of the province isn't all that dire.

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton
I completely agree about the Boardwalk Properties thing. Just walk away and keep looking.

Ok..so i looked up where Colt Engineering's offices are. You will definately want something on the southside of edmonton (south of the river). I do not know your financial situation to tell you what is affordable. But you might do well to move to the Millwoods area. Its close to the industrial area, which is where the Colt Eng. co is located. Your partner could take buses all over Millwoods to Millgate and catch connecting buses to the industrial area. In the meantime, there are a bazillion buses that go to the University area from Millwoods. Its nice and quiet and affordable.

The other area is suggest is possibly Southgate area for the same reasons as above. A tad busier, but the Southgate bus terminal is the major hub of busing, and im sure they have buses that go to the industrial area. But they also have buses that go to the UofA..even more so than Millwoods.

Both places are equally affordable. Southgate because it is a thoroughfare, is a bit louder. Millwoods is a bit more distant. Both are equal in the shopping area/access to grocery stores. Its really about equal. Southgate would proably be more central for you and your partner by way of travelling to work, cuz Millwoods would be further for you. I am not sure if rentals are cheper in Millwoods or Southgate. I do know that Southgate has more rentals available than Millwoods.

The other option is maybe near the whyte ave/sask drive/garneau area. But i would be less inclined. It would be harder to get to Colt. Its louder. Lots of university students. Part of the places are dirt cheap (and look it). Others are waaay overpriced. THere are places somewhere in the middle but they are hard to come by.

So overall, i vote Southgate or Millwoods area.

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton
I forgot to add, also consider Capilano/.bonnie doon area. They are close to UofA/industrial area...even closer than Southgate/Millwoods. Im sure there are affordable places, and i know for sure that they serve the industrial area for busses.

Les

Jan 29, 2007
Edmonton
www.rentexhomes.com
In the matter of interest why do you say never never rent from Boardwalk Properties Edmonton? I have heard they are top notch albeit pricey. By the way the best area to live in my opinion is around the University of Alberta. You do not need a car if you want to shop or do something in the evening and one of you can walk to work!

www.rentex.ca

Stanley2009

Aug 5, 2009
I will be relocating to Edmonton, Alberta this December. I would appreciate any advice on choice of family-friendly and safe neighborhood, school, etc. My wife and my 6-year-old daughter will be with me.

snobeach

Well Preserved
Jun 23, 2008
Calgary
Laurier Heights is a great established neighbourhood in the west end. Close to the Valley Zoo, good schools very close by. Easy access to shopping (groceries etc), close to downtown and close to the Whitemud freeway and Anthony Henday ring road.