Quebec City beckons Calgary for $$$

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Officials in Quebec City are hoping Calgary will make a donation to the city's 400th anniversary celebrations.

Quebec City Mayor Andrée Boucher says she is working to re-establish links between the two cities. Calgary and Quebec City have been sister cities for 50 years.

July 3, 2008 will mark the 400th anniversary of the founding of Quebec City.

A group of business leaders is lobbying to have the city of Calgary donate money to help finish renovations at historic Morrin College, home of Quebec City's Literary and Historical Society.

The society itself has raised about half of the $3.5 million cost of the work.

"We're saying to the city of Calgary come and participate in 2008, and if you want to leave a legacy gift this is the project," offered David Blair, president of the Literary and Historical Society.

Recently, there has been an increase in the number of activities between the two cities.

Boucher says she is renewing contacts left somewhat neglected by her predecessor Jean-Paul L'Allier.

"Mr. L'Allier was indépendentiste, I am not, and so maybe there is difference in the way we see the city," Boucher said Tuesday.

A delegation from Quebec City will be in Calgary next month to promote the upcoming 400th anniversary celebrations.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/cbc/s/23052006/3/montreal-quebec-city-beckons-calgary-cash.html

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: Quebec City beckons C

Wow! Quebec and Alberta are actually getting along. That won't last long.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The fact that Québec would consider asking Calgary for a donation sort of shows that there's at least some semblance of a good relationship there. They wouldn't ask for a donation from a sworn enemy, hehe.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Re: RE: Quebec City beckons Calgary for $$$

FiveParadox said:
The fact that Québec would consider asking Calgary for a donation sort of shows that there's at least some semblance of a good relationship there. They wouldn't ask for a donation from a sworn enemy, hehe.

maybe, or maybe its like a bum on the street .......

jk :p

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Gotta come up with the dough somehow, now that the kleptocracies have been disbanded.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Hank C said:
Well I'm sure a donation might help change the views some Quebecers have of Albertans......why not hey

For sure, and if we can get these two provinces working together little will stand in their way.

Vicious

Electoral Member
May 12, 2006
Ontario, Sadly
RE: Quebec City beckons C

Alberta and Quebec see eye to eye on one key issue. That the federal government should stay out of province affairs. On that they can build a strong relationship

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I agree 100%, Vicious.

The future is looking bright IMO.

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton
As far as I was aware, with the exception of that little issue called Sovreingty, Quebec and Alberta see eye to eye on a lot of issues and often stand shoulder to shoulder on common issues. So it is not surprising.
In fact, Edmonton's twin city is Hull (hence the Hull street that is outside of City hall), so i would conclude that Alberta and Quebec have a long standing alliance.

fintry

Jun 2, 2006
I disagree. We, in Quebec, like spending others money. The provincial government says we have no money, but we have the most expensive universal daycare at $25.00 a day for each children without consideration if the parents are working or not. I know one guy his ex had two kids on daycare but was to lazy to get up in the morning. That costs over one billion. We also have ``universal pill care`` well over one billion. Also. It’s not that l don’t like Calgary’s money, but it is because it is not mine. by the way l love Calgary. I lived there in the 70s.