Winter weather extreme 2005 in Alberta

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Albertans - have you noticed how its not freeezing there this winter?

WE tend to think that "mild" can't be extreme, but if you know historical Alberta winters at all you would know that this winter's above-freezing temperatures are very very abnormal.

Normally, Alberta would see at least one hit of -20oC by Halloween, and a couple days of -30 by Xmas, and hitting -40 a few times before Febuary ends, with no period above freezing other than in a Chinook in those months.
- THAT is normally what Alberta has been like for the past several thousand years.

Not this year . This winter, 05, Alberta has barely had any days where the high temp was not above feezing. The FROST isn't even in the ground yet in many places. That might make a difference to some things...

And especially weird is UP NORTH. Same as in BC's north, its been really really warm. Normally it is much colder than the southern half but this year the northern areas have actually been averaging warmer than the south for specific periods.

No mention of this PHENOMENON by the weather men - don't you think they should tell us more about global warming issues than they are? They just distance themselves from the whole thing, yet they could be the main interface for the public and GW changes.

I say this is newsworthy, it should be charted and laid out for the public to see clearly just how HUGE a change has occured in Alberta in one season.

Links Of interest -

"Extreme weather a record in 2005: scientists"
http://tinyurl.com/9fhqw

"Agroclimatic Atlas of Alberta: Climate of Alberta"
http://tinyurl.com/7qrdq

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta
RE: Winter weather extrem

yea i heard it was like 16 degrees yesterday in Edmonton and Calgary. I am here in Sask today and it is damn nice too all i needed was a sweater.

I guess global warming is taking its toll, and I think we will be more concerned when its heat and drought in the summer rather than nice balmy winters.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
this is just another piece to the picture of southern alberta turning into a desert. the glaciers are melting, they project the bow will run dry, etc. If things continue the way they are southern alberta cities are going to be faced with serious water issues.

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
It's too easy to confuse regional conditions with larger trends. There's always wierd weather happening. The position of a front can mean the difference between 10 above and 20 below.

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta

I wonder if we are going to see a shift in cities to our north in the future. I mean like 25-40 years from now when the northern parts of provinces are more hospitable and provide longer growing seasons. I guess the one thing good about Calgary is that it is a naturally air conditioned city. We only have a few days a year over 30 degrees and are no way near as cold as Sask or Man. I think it has to do with the high altitude the city is at.....and no humidity

i feel bad for the heat waves that are going to hit southern Ontario and the US in the future.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Re: RE: Winter weather extreme 2005 in Alberta

athabaska said:
It's too easy to confuse regional conditions with larger trends. There's always wierd weather happening. The position of a front can mean the difference between 10 above and 20 below.

Well that is just wishfull thinking.

Its not a one-time heat spike, its not a single incident, this is part of a larger picture of warming trend.

That much should be obvious by now, and to refute it is to slow our response to global warming by reducing emissions, and in that you are being irresposible in saying what you did. {"there is allways weird weather happening"} .

I know "weird alberta weather" , I lived in Alberta for 40 years, and this is my point - this warm winter is WAYYYYYY out of the most whacky weather scenario, going on for months and months.

In fact, since the mass media won't report it, I will tell you that the present super-cold winter in China and Asia generally, and the warm NA weather means that the planet's dome of cold air over the arctic HAS SHIFTED. This could be more or less permanent, supported by ocean currents which are undergoing massive changes due to melting glaciers putting cold water into the oceans.

IT IS HAPPENING. Please don't say things that diminish the importance of global warming climate change. It tends to slow the human response, as intended by some Oil Elites, and you are being a minion-messenger for their false message.

Ok?
Karlin

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Well if we can get the environmentalists and business
in a joint partnership that threatens neither, then
we will make progress on these issues.

That's the first goal. Not to cartoonize and
condemn each other.

It ain't gonna happen that way.

The second step is to figure out an organic
psychological and economic system of incentive
to make it financially as well as morally rewarding.

Like the noted Economics guru Keynes, said, "In the
long run, we're all dead."

And so short term profit guides our actions too
often but then in the long run we're all dead.

What I hate about this issue of Global Warning
is the tendency for people to get tyrannical on this
subject and yes I understand the motives are passionate
and sincere from the environmentalists.

But they need to get smarter if they want to get it
done, and they need to encourage partnership
rather than condemnation.

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005

Karlin said:
athabaska said:

Well that is just wishfull thinking.

Its not a one-time heat spike, its not a single incident, this is part of a larger picture of warming trend.

That much should be obvious by now, and to refute it is to slow our response to global warming by reducing emissions, and in that you are being irresposible in saying what you did. {"there is allways weird weather happening"} .

I know "weird alberta weather" , I lived in Alberta for 40 years, and this is my point - this warm winter is WAYYYYYY out of the most whacky weather scenario, going on for months and months.

In fact, since the mass media won't report it, I will tell you that the present super-cold winter in China and Asia generally, and the warm NA weather means that the planet's dome of cold air over the arctic HAS SHIFTED. This could be more or less permanent, supported by ocean currents which are undergoing massive changes due to melting glaciers putting cold water into the oceans.

IT IS HAPPENING. Please don't say things that diminish the importance of global warming climate change. It tends to slow the human response, as intended by some Oil Elites, and you are being a minion-messenger for their false message.

Ok?
Karlin

The world environment has little to do with what happens in a particular region in a given year. Warm winter or cold winter. If next year is colder than average does that say anything about global warming? No. If the summer is cooler? No. Accurate weather statistics have only been taken in Alberta for 90 years or so. What's is 'normal' for Alberta.?

I'm an advocate of taking global warming seriously but the science 'to prove' it is often anything but science. The problem with confusing regional weather conditions with climate change is that when the temperature gets cooler than 'normal, such as a cool summer, then folks will say 'what global warming?' . There's always going to extremes of weather to look at but they shouldn't be cherry picked out of context.

lena

Electoral Member
Feb 20, 2005
ab

k I'm guilty of not really reading all posts of this one but...Is Alberta the only province or territory or and other part of the world haveing climate change??????? Just a question.Iol people really need to chill WOW

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
I believe I am a product of nature, and therefore I must be a defender for nature. Otherwise, the hand that feeds me will be bitten off. This is a much stronger connection than say, "the hand that feeds me being a corporate or economic hand" as we tend to believe. Everything originates in nature, we tend to froget that.

It is a bigger picture that we are failing to see.

Alberta - 2006 winter temps -

Normal Averages are -20c as a low, and -9c as the daily high.

Today it will be +3c and-2c.

There is no frost in the ground yet, which is a traditional major "mover and shaker of all things natural" in Alberta. Frost drives many cycles, many creature's habits, and its going to all be out of kilter this spring.

Eh? Not your life, what me worry? .... {ok, so you are completely separated from nature, too bad for you]

Reply to Detractors:
Well, ok, so it is regional.
Still, it is PART of a larger trend that is real, measurable, and dangerous.

It is also an act of serious betrayal of a necessary respect for nature. Anyone who has any kind of a spiritual connection to nature is feeling quite queesy about the effect humans are having on our one and only planet earth and it's weather.

IF I could have my equal rights to practise "my religion", there would be much less encroachment on nature and its many cycles and so on.

I believe I am a product of and therefore should be a defender for - nature. Otherwise, the hand that feeds me will be bitten off.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
I believe I am a product of nature, and therefore I must be a defender for nature. Otherwise, the hand that feeds me will be bitten off. This is a much stronger connection than say, "the hand that feeds me being a corporate or economic hand" as we tend to believe. Everything originates in nature, we tend to froget that.

It is a bigger picture that we are failing to see.

Alberta - 2006 winter temps -

Normal Averages are -20c as a low, and -9c as the daily high.

Today it will be +3c and-4c [avg] - quoting the weather guy on Edmonton Global TV.

There is no frost in the ground yet, which is a traditional major "mover and shaker of all things natural" in Alberta. Frost drives many cycles, many creature's habits, and its going to all be out of kilter this spring.

Eh? Not your life, what me worry? .... {ok, so you are completely separated from nature, too bad for you]

Reply to Detractors:
Well, ok, so it is regional.
Still, it is PART of a larger trend that is real, measurable, and dangerous.

It is also an act of serious betrayal of a necessary respect for nature. Anyone who has any kind of a spiritual connection to nature is feeling quite queesy about the effect humans are having on our one and only planet earth and it's weather.

IF I could have my equal rights to practise "my religion", there would be much less encroachment on nature and its many cycles and so on.

I believe I am a product of and therefore should be a defender for - nature. Otherwise, the hand that feeds me will be bitten off.

Alberta'sfinest

Electoral Member
Dec 9, 2005

Wheather hasn't been normal here Alberta since1999/2000, and started this change in the early 90's. Global warming is very much real, and the whole world is experiencing whacky wheather because of it, or have people forgotten about last year's hurricanes?
There is no answer to global warming that doesn't hurt most business, as the answer is to cut consumption of everything. However, because we are capatilists, are economy would cease to function without demand for useless crap. Without plentiful consumable goods other than food, people would have no reason to work long hours, and the class structure would collapse.
The problem that nobody ever seems to recognize is that the problem isn't pollution, but population. The reality is that within 50 years with our current population, profit will be non-existent, forcing us into a system of psuedo-communism distributing food for work. Everyone would live at or near the poverty level. However, it's human nature to want to live with ease and luxury, and such an equal system would result in numerous uprisings, as people would fight for more than their share.
The solution is very obvious, or should be. That is to simply do nothing about the problem, let it fester and create mass tension through the world over the issue, until everyone is forced into a situation of war over the means to endure. Once in a situation of war, the peons of our society will willfully go off to their deaths to benefit those who don't, driven by false motives and patriotic duty. Once it's all sorted out, the mass wealth left behind will be used to rapidly rebuild society. With a target world population of around 500 million, we can pollute at our current per person levels, eat as much as we want, and never worry about shortages of anything, and be able to ensure that our survival of our species is as indefinite as possible.
It's the old," reduce the demand, if you can't increase the supply."

Alberta'sfinest

Electoral Member
Dec 9, 2005

Wheather hasn't been normal here Alberta since1999/2000, and started this change in the early 90's. Global warming is very much real, and the whole world is experiencing whacky wheather because of it, or have people forgotten about last year's hurricanes?
There is no answer to global warming that doesn't hurt most business, as the answer is to cut consumption of everything. However, because we are capatilists, are economy would cease to function without demand for useless crap. Without plentiful consumable goods other than food, people would have no reason to work long hours, and the class structure would collapse.
The problem that nobody ever seems to recognize is that the problem isn't pollution, but population. The reality is that within 50 years with our current population, profit will be non-existent, forcing us into a system of psuedo-communism distributing food for work. Everyone would live at or near the poverty level. However, it's human nature to want to live with ease and luxury, and such an equal system would result in numerous uprisings, as people would fight for more than their share.
The solution is very obvious, or should be. That is to simply do nothing about the problem, let it fester and create mass tension through the world over the issue, until everyone is forced into a situation of war over the means to endure. Once in a situation of war, the peons of our society will willfully go off to their deaths to benefit those who don't, driven by false motives and patriotic duty. Once it's all sorted out, the mass wealth left behind will be used to rapidly rebuild society. With a target world population of around 500 million, we can pollute at our current per person levels, eat as much as we want, and never worry about shortages of anything, and be able to ensure that our survival of our species is as indefinite as possible.
It's the old," reduce the demand, if you can't increase the supply."

animator

Dec 27, 2005

Calberty said:
The world environment has little to do with what happens in a particular region in a given year. Warm winter or cold winter. If next year is colder than average does that say anything about global warming? No. If the summer is cooler? No. Accurate weather statistics have only been taken in Alberta for 90 years or so. What's is 'normal' for Alberta.?

I'm an advocate of taking global warming seriously but the science 'to prove' it is often anything but science. The problem with confusing regional weather conditions with climate change is that when the temperature gets cooler than 'normal, such as a cool summer, then folks will say 'what global warming?' . There's always going to extremes of weather to look at but they shouldn't be cherry picked out of context.
I would tend to agree. Last year it was so cold that, for a while,some of my windows were frozen open and the patio door was frozen shut. The house was built in the early 70s, so there's proper insullation and everything else needed to keep a house functional in the winter. The year before I remember a massive blizzard in early January. Unless the weather remains as warm as it is now for a few years, I would have a hard time saying that the warm weather is a trend.

animator

Dec 27, 2005
Re: RE: Winter weather extrem

lena said:
k I'm guilty of not really reading all posts of this one but...Is Alberta the only province or territory or and other part of the world haveing climate change??????? Just a question.Iol people really need to chill WOW

This isn't about Alberta weather, but this volcano link is interesting because it shows how volcanos all over the world seem to be active at the same time, a fact that I find interesting: http://volcano.und.edu/vwdocs/current_volcs/current.html