Environmentalists look to Ottawa to save Alberta caribou

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Environmentalists look to Ottawa to save Alberta caribou

A teaser:

Alberta environmentalists are turning to Ottawa for help in trying to protect a group of endangered caribou.

A coalition of groups, led by the Sierra Legal Defence Fund, says Alberta's woodland caribou population had declined by 90 per cent since the '60s and is at imminent risk of extinction.

There are fewer than 3,000 caribou left in the province.

"What we'll be doing with the petition is providing the minister with the evidence that indicates the nature and rate of the caribou decline and asking for an emergency order," he said.

Environmentalists say oil and gas developments and logging has encroached on the caribou's habitat in northern Alberta and caused a drop in their numbers. [/teaser]

Click link for rest of article.

I hope they succeed. The Caribou need protecting and since all the Alberta government thinks about is money and not the environment, wild animals or people, Ottawa must step in and protect them. Way to go Ralphie you

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks for posting this info - it is one I didn't know about.

I was going to post a reply to tell you "there are no caribou in Alberta", but up north I guess there are! Never too old to learn stuff.

Worth repeating:
Environmentalists say oil and gas developments and logging has encroached on the caribou's habitat in northern Alberta and caused a drop in their numbers.
The province has programs to mitigate damage to caribou habitate but environmentalist say it hasn't been effective.

- more evidence of corporate ir-responsibility, an attitude typical in the oil and gas and logging industries is to see the caribou as being "dispensable".
Many of them really do believe that humans can wreck nature because it is just there to help humans anyhow - "what we ruin wasn't doing it right".

Its time to get them off the land...

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
i remember seeing a program on the devistation of alberta a few years ago and it was frightening. the whole resource greed is appauling. I remember the satellite shots of access roads in the western part of the province and the presenter saying how in a few years that area would look like a city grid from space. It also talked about the high rate of animal killing for "sport" where people shoot the animals from these ever increasing access roads just to shoot the animal and leave it to rot.

Alberta has a messed up mentality when it comes to the environment it seems.

animator

Dec 27, 2005
no1important said:
Alberta environmentalists are turning to Ottawa for help in trying to protect a group of endangered caribou.

A coalition of groups, led by the Sierra Legal Defence Fund, says Alberta's woodland caribou population had declined by 90 per cent since the '60s and is at imminent risk of extinction.

There are fewer than 3,000 caribou left in the province.

"What we'll be doing with the petition is providing the minister with the evidence that indicates the nature and rate of the caribou decline and asking for an emergency order," he said.

Environmentalists say oil and gas developments and logging has encroached on the caribou's habitat in northern Alberta and caused a drop in their numbers. [/teaser]

Click link for rest of article.

I hope they succeed. The Caribou need protecting and since all the Alberta government thinks about is money and not the environment, wild animals or people, Ottawa must step in and protect them. Way to go Ralphie you

Maybe Ralphie is just listening to what the scientists are so far saying about the caribou situation.

"In Alberta, the woodland caribou has been listed as endangered because its survival is in question. Understanding the factors that limit its existence is essential to developing strategies that ensure the long-term survival of this species. Caribou population growth is constantly affected by a variety of natural and human-caused factors, including predation, hunting, vehicle-kills, habitat change, disturbance, parasites and disease, and climate change. One of these factors is limiting if it prevents a caribou population from reaching the maximum size the habitat will support (carrying capacity). It is seldom the situation that a population increases or decreases in size due to one limiting factor alone and this is the case for caribou in Alberta.

The number of research studies of Alberta's woodland caribou populations has increased substantially in the past decade resulting in a greater understanding of the factors limiting population growth. In Alberta, scientists and managers agree that predation by wolves is the major cause of death of caribou that inhabit natural, undisturbed habitat." (http://www3.gov.ab.ca/srd/fw/threatsp/wcar_lim.html)

Look at the source: http://www.sierralegal.org/m_archive/pr05_12_21.html which claims that: "Woodland caribou, cousins of Santa’s reindeer and one of the most emblematic species of Canada’s boreal wilderness, are at particular risk of extinction in Alberta, where their numbers have dropped by about 60% since the 1960s." and "The petition marks the second legal action by Sierra Legal to test the strength of the federal Species at Risk Act, following a recently launched federal court case earlier this month to seek emergency action to protect British Columbia’s endangered spotted owl."

If you look at the petition here: http://www.sierralegal.org/reports/sara_petition_re_alberta_woodland_caribou.pdf paragraph 25 (page 14), it says that the 1980 population of caribou in Alberta did not exceed 1500 - 3500 and the linked article claims the population is currently about 3000. That hardly seems like a decline over the last 25 years.

Dino00235

Oct 6, 2005
Brooks, Alberta
Karlin said:
Thanks for posting this info - it is one I didn't know about.

I was going to post a reply to tell you "there are no caribou in Alberta", but up north I guess there are! Never too old to learn stuff.

Well then... how can you honestly say that you will miss them? Until today, you didn;t know that there were any.

I say, let the Caribou move to BC, or Nunavut, where they will be completely unprotected. As long as I get my $400, what do I care.

Dino00235

Oct 6, 2005
Brooks, Alberta
Re: RE: Environmentalists loo

Reverend Blair said:
What the hell has that got to do with anything?

Fine then....

I will do my own research.

According to http://www.manitobahunts.com/ you guys have about 450,000 caribou, and sell 250 of them a year to out of province hunters....

Now then...

Why are our Caribou different from yours? (Other than just being better educated, more employable, and financialy better off.)

Dino00235

Oct 6, 2005
Brooks, Alberta
Re: RE: Environmentalists look to Ottawa to save Alberta car

zenfisher said:
What does this have to do with moving migration routes?

I was more concerned with:

more evidence of corporate ir-responsibility, an attitude typical in the oil and gas and logging industries is to see the caribou as being "dispensable".

Weird how we are being chastised for considering 3000 caribou to be somewhat dispensible...

When Manitoba, for instance, can sell the rights to kill that same number of caribou in 12 years... to out of province and foreign tourists.

Not saying that it is right.... just odd that our caribou are different. If you told manitoba to discontinue the selling of caribou for the blood-lust tourist industry, and rich american big game hunters... you could save twice as many caribou in only 24 years.... and for a fraction of the cost.

And aren;t we all here to save the caribou?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Environmentalists loo

I have nothing against hunting though, as long as it's done responsibly. It is far different than disturbing migration routes. If we were messing with those, 'd be welcoming people from Alberta complaining about it.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
but define responsible hunting? humanity is still pretty dense when it comes to understanding the full impact of its actions.

and don't forget that this "responsible hunting" also leads to some rather nasty hunting (by those that don't see/understand the reasons why limits on killing are in place)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Kill limits mostly, Caracal. We aren't totally ignorant about that. Those that break the rules will always be around.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

We are one of the natural predators. There are fewer people living off wild meat in the area, leaving room for other hunters.

Dino00235

Oct 6, 2005
Brooks, Alberta
Re: RE: Environmentalists loo

Reverend Blair said:
I have nothing against hunting though, as long as it's done responsibly. It is far different than disturbing migration routes. If we were messing with those, 'd be welcoming people from Alberta complaining about it.

I disagree.

The point was that 'Alberta' caribou are 'endangered'. You were calling our government irresponsible for taking the lives of these 3000 caribou too lightly.

Your government on the other hand, issues more than 750 tags a year to kill this 'endangered' species. 250 of those tags are reserved for non-resident hunting/tourism.

And as far as I know.... large migratory grazing animals don;t recognize geopolitical boundaries like we do.....

Would you be more approving of our caribou policies if we were to shoot them or sell them?

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
maybe some people are natural predators, but many gave that up a long time ago to be fed factory-produced product.

If all people went back to hunting, the world would be in trouble given our populations rely on our development of agriculture.