Why do you like living in Edmonton?

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
The transit system was it's saving grace for me.

Other than that it was pretty impersonal and like living on a grid. And of course in my case the housing there is run by a bunch of shysters. If you can avoid renting from BOARDWALK and WEST EDMONTON VILLAGE. If you do you may as well bend over and let them see how much they can fit in.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
hey jo - couldn't ya just pass go and collect $200!!!!!

man, one of my friends recently moved to edmonton. she hates it. there is no culture and everyone she sees is fat and drives huge dodge rams....and eat's fries. lots of fries and fat women. ouch. not a pleasant site. i dunno, maybe she is kinda biased 8O

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
galianomama said:
hey jo - couldn't ya just pass go and collect $200!!!!!

man, one of my friends recently moved to edmonton. she hates it. there is no culture and everyone she sees is fat and drives huge dodge rams....and eat's fries. lots of fries and fat women. ouch. not a pleasant site. i dunno, maybe she is kinda biased 8O

Okay, I've been sitting silently listening to my beloved Edmonton be trashed over and over and over, and I can't do it anymore!

I'm not sure what kind of "culture" your friend is looking for, but Edmonton is chalk full of fun and cultural things to do.

It isn't called Festival city for nothing.

Jazz Festival
Roots and Blues Festival
Street Performers Festival (this one is alot of fun, and super cheap!)
Fringe Theater Festival - One of the biggest and best in the world. People from all over the planet come to Edmonton to perform in this one. The shows are only about $10 each, and can be absolutely excellent. There are also free street shows, and kiosks and food. Lots of yummy food.

Edmonton Folk Music Festival. I've gone to this 6 or 7 times, and it's an absolutely amazing musical experience. The performers are from all over the world, and one can truly immerse themselves in four days of international music.

Edmonton has their New Year's Eve first night festival down in the pedway systems, Klondike days in the summer (which is like the stampede but better cause there is none of that cowboy crap), all over the city are music venues that have live performances from jazz, to blues, to rock, to folk, to pop.

The Provincial Museum in Edmonton is always interesting. The Space Science Centre has some great exhibits (they just changed the name to Telus World of Science or some other equally god awful name), there is a Ukranian Cultural Centre about 30 minutes east of Edmonton, which has some of the best perogies I have ever had.

On any given day, in any given season, one can wander the river valley and check out the natural beauty, stroll along Whyte ave and browse in an eclectic mix of shops and eateries, or if all else fails, there is always the mall for sheer size and of course, if you like shopping.

I'd rather live in Edmonton than Calgary any day (I know, I know, wrong thread, but still....)

Reactions: Pangloss

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Diamond Sun, I would certainly like to visit Edmonton one day, based on what you say.

I have been guilty myself of bashing a city (not Edmonton) and I've recently come to realize that I'd rather not do it anymore, for by doing so I am bashing something beloved to someone else.

Further, I have recently been bombarded with proof that Pea was right a long while back when she said every city or town has something wonderful about it (okay, I am quoting from memory here, but it was something to that effect). I keep having the nicest damn experiences with total strangers around here, all of whom seem determined to challenge my firmly-held views about this town.

Yikes, sorry, I really am totally off-topic here.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Natural Beauty Edmonton Bwahhaahahahahah that place is not the asshole of the planet but you can see it from there :p There is nothing atractive about Deadmonton :lol:

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
mrmom2 said:
Natural Beauty Edmonton Bwahhaahahahahah that place is not the asshole of the planet but you can see it from there :p There is nothing atractive about Deadmonton :lol:

I seem to recall the same thing about Kamloops.... :D

Seriously though, the river valley in Edmonton is absolutely stunning, especially in the fall. Heritage park is wonderful and beautiful just to sit in and picnic, or toss a frisbee.

There are numerous acreages around the city that are chalk full of pine trees, and birch, and poplar. There is plenty of beauty in Edmonton. One just has to open their eyes.

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Re: RE: Why do you like living in Edmonton?

Haggis McBagpipe said:
Diamond Sun, I would certainly like to visit Edmonton one day, based on what you say.

If you do, try to hit in the Summer, because you pretty much can't miss some festival of some kind. The summer months are wonderful, and I do miss living in the city of festivals.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Why do you like livin

Hey, do you guys know who that Haida artist who makes totem poles is? The famous one, I mean? He was here a couple years ago giving demonstrations so they had him on the news. He starts out with a large chainsaw, then uses a smaller one, then finishes up with hand tools.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Real atractive weather :lol: :lol: :lol: I was there May long weekend a few years a go and it was -6 abd snowing no green or nothing so sorry Diamond you can ruun down Kamloops all you want but WHY IS THIS PLACE FULL OF PEOPLE FROM EDMONTON IN THE SUMMER? :? Because its nice and hot and we have tons of lakes You stay in the drunk driving capital of Canada and I'll stay here :wink:OH YEA the place is full of people from DEADmonton in winter too .No mountains to ride sleds there either :lol:

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
mrmom2 said:
Real atractive weather :lol: :lol: :lol: I was there May long weekend a few years a go and it was -6 abd snowing no green or nothing so sorry Diamond you can ruun down Kamloops all you want but WHY IS THIS PLACE FULL OF PEOPLE FROM EDMONTON IN THE SUMMER? :? Because its nice and hot and we have tons of lakes You stay in the drunk driving capital of Canada and I'll stay here :wink:OH YEA the place is full of people from DEADmonton in winter too .No mountains to ride sleds there either :lol:

I'll give you the weather, Edmonton is sadly lacking in nice weather, but in terms of things to do, Edmonton kicks butt. Over Kamloops, Kelowna, and all those other Sunny Hot Spot Destinations.

Besides, the thread wasn't about why Edmonton is better than Kamloops, it was why I liked living in Edmonton. I loved living there, and would do so again in a heartbeat.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
"Hey, do you guys know who that Haida artist who makes totem poles is? The famous one, I mean? He was here a couple years ago giving demonstrations so they had him on the news. He starts out with a large chainsaw, then uses a smaller one, then finishes up with hand tools."

I think that is a question for the BC forum rev :p The haida are from British Columbia....I think the person you mean is Bill Reid. 8)

Sheagatzi

Jun 12, 2005
Thanks.. I was asking because we have an opportunity to move there and scale down the jobs and not be mortgage poor as we are here in Beautiful BC.

Yes, its amazing here scenery wise, I've lived in the lower mainland all my life, but how much scenery is worth being mortgage poor? What's your quality of life, if you're working so much to have a home...no money to do other stuff, you know? I'm not a skier, or a sailor, nor a mountain/rock climber. I like the suburbs, I like parks and walks and the local festivities.

I know the weather is bitter cold, but the weather is awful grey, damp and dark alot here. I'm interested what seasons are all about. Here, we have Summer and Sprwintumn. :p

So I guess why I was asking, was because every time I ask a BC'er what Edmonton is like, I get the same comment - it's f-ing cold and Deadmonton comments...and then when I ask when they lived there, they say never...they went to visit one weekend 10 years ago. I need to get some opinions of residents.

Thanks

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Sheagatzi said:
So I guess why I was asking, was because every time I ask a BC'er what Edmonton is like, I get the same comment - it's f-ing cold and Deadmonton comments...and then when I ask when they lived there, they say never...they went to visit one weekend 10 years ago. I need to get some opinions of residents.

Thanks

Well, I lived there for 20 years, and I'd move back if my circumstances changed here.

Winters are cold, but not as bone chillingly cold as say, Montreal. You just dress warm, and go out toboganning. The summers are wonderful. Not too hot, not too cold, just perfect to get out and enjoy the festivals, and the fun. Autumn is gorgeous because of all the trees, and it's not too cold yet to be outside with out a parka.

If it was so awful, people wouldn't live there. I agree that the coast, and even interior BC has more to offer in terms of weather, and vistas, but the prices are ridiculous, and the people aloof.

Aww. All this talk about Edmonton makes me miss it. Time for a visit!

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Nice promo post, Diamond Sun! Being from Edmonton m'self, I'm glad to see someone jump up and restore our damaged rep lolll...
It is a nice place to live, but I have to admit that I say that mostly because my family is here, so I am here. I lived in Victoria for about 5 years, and absolutely loved it there, but the cost of living there is beyond ridiculous...
and I have to admit, I do hate the winters here. I mean I really really hate them! And I miss the ocean.

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004

Zan said:
Nice promo post, Diamond Sun! Being from Edmonton m'self, I'm glad to see someone jump up and restore our damaged rep lolll...
It is a nice place to live, but I have to admit that I say that mostly because my family is here, so I am here. I lived in Victoria for about 5 years, and absolutely loved it there, but the cost of living there is beyond ridiculous...
and I have to admit, I do hate the winters here. I mean I really really hate them! And I miss the ocean.

Aww, shucks. Although I don't live there anymore, and haven't for, jeez, almost 5 years. I do miss the place.

There's just something about your home town I guess that gets under your skin and keeps calling you back. It makes you forget the winters, and the mosquitos, and the lack of beaches, but it still calls to you. Can't escape. :)

Dec 16, 2005
What is wrong with you guys. okay i admit that i was a bit slow reading this thread but i can't stand to watch you diss edmonton the way you did. If you haven't gone and experienced how edmonton than you shuold comment. have you ever been to the mall and actaully went through it and looked at everything? i highly doubt it. or spent time in the river valley surrounded by the natural beauty? or the festivals held there every season of every year? seeing at least one will be awesome. or seeing the waterfall that is higher than niagara falls and spills over a bridge? if u haven't seen all these things. or experienced them. u have no right to say that edmonton sucks.

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta
edmonton rules, i find it is more fun then calgary because the people are more open and friendly. whyte ave beats our 17th anyday, and edmonton hockey fans are the best. had any of you guys been to an edmonton and calgary game before 2004 when the flames made the big cup run.

it seemed likethe majority of people at the flames games were either cowboys or business men. Edmonton on the other hand always had the rowdy drunks...gotta love em

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

Roy said:
Edmonton on the other hand always had the rowdy drunks

Ok, some of that was my fault when I was there.

If you like Rowdy Drunks, Go to Yellowknife...especially check out the Gold Range. It'd make an Edmonton Drunk fest look like a 4 year olds tea party.