Calgary vs. Edmonton

Between Calgary and Edmonton, which city do you feel is the better place to live?

• Total voters

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Albertans always seem so united, so I thought I'd try to provoke some interprovincial rivalry (since there are no Oilers/Flames game to do the same).

I went to Alberta for my 25th birthday in April of 2003. It was my first and only time there. We were there for 5 days and we managed to do a lot. Based out of Calgary, we managed to see most of Calgary and go to Banff, Lake Louise, Edmonton, and Drumheller.

I must say that I found Calgary to be phenomenal. Everything was so new, clean and efficient. It just seemed like a city that worked. We saw all the major sites, rode the C-Train everywhere, and drove on just about every trail. It was just great.

Then we drove up to Edmonton. Wow what a boring drive, the only time I used my steering wheel was to get around Red Deer.
We went to the WEM, drove downtown, saw the parliament and then drove across the river to the Muttart conservatory. I tried to get Game 6 tickets (Oilers vs. Dallas) but couldn't. I must say that I wasn't impressed with the city. It seemed dirty, lifeless, abandoned. There were a lot more ghetto like neighbourhoods in and around downtown, including around Skyreach or Rexall Coliseum. Perhaps I was expecting too much from the city of Champions.

Anyhow, I'd love to hear other's opinions. I know I was in E-Town for only a day, and I would definitely go back and see more of it and kind of give it a second change, but for now Calgary is the jewel of Alberta.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Thats DEADMONTON can't stand that place it's not quite the asshole of the universe but you can see it from there :lol:

choppie

Nominee Member
Mar 24, 2005
Edmonton.....what can i say.....The hockey team sux......and all 3 times that i have been there, we were in car accidents.... :wink:

Audio

May 2, 2005
Edmonton
Calgary is a nice city it has a much more scenic downtown. But Edmonton has a much larger footprint and because it is a blue coller city people do not use the downtown as much and buisneses are spread out through out the city not just in the downtown corador. Housing in the east side of downtown is not great but Calgary has its lousy areas as well. Edmonton has a grat river vally compared to the creek that runs through Calgary. And Edmonton has Trees everywhere unlike Calgary because of winterkill. The mountians are not that far of a drive from Edmonton and Jasper is much less comertialised and you can actualy walk anywhere you want without beeing fenced in. Traveling through Edmonton is muc faster then in calgery as we have way better main roads then they do (I have lived in both citys so I can say this) and the LRT (C-Train) in Edmonton was here first and goes underground downtown so you dont freez in the winter and soon will go all the way south so it will cover just as much area. Have you ever tried to leave Calgarys downtown during rush hour? NOT, Edmonton is much better to get around.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
I've lived in edmonton for a few years. Never have lived in Calgary though. Relatives in law that I knew that lived in Calgary did favor it as more green and friendly over Edmonton.

Edmonton...well it is a little impersonal, everyone is in a rush and very aggressive and ignorant drivers. It is like a concrete block, but that depends where you live there. All and all it wasn't much of a fun experience there, every neighbour had their own little bubble and didn't like associating very much.

Mind you, I liked the transit system there. I wish that had that going on here in C-town.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Having lived in both, I must say I prefer Calgary. Calgary seems much more vibrant to me, and the weather is much better. First snow in Edmonton in the fall is the last to melt in the spring. Calgary gets chinooks to break up the winter. Three hours from Calgary you are into BC, into Montana, into Sask (why, I don't know :lol: ). Three hours from Edmonton, you are in Calgary. 'Nuff said.

choppie

Nominee Member
Mar 24, 2005
hmm.....I did not see the Oilers in the playoffs last year.....I wonder why... :roll:

choppie

Nominee Member
Mar 24, 2005
choppie said:
hmm.....I did not see the Oilers in the playoffs last year.....I wonder why... :roll:

OH WAIT!!!! :idea: I know why! It is because they suck! :lol: :lol:

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
I'm not so sure that was the greatest team that ever existed you all conveniently left out the Habs they have won more cups than the Oilers ever will more back to back too

I preferred Edmonton. More real, more grass roots culture, more diversity FAR more attractive, a University that is world class.

The airport sucks, but not because it's in Leduc but there is so little choice. Eventually I moved to the States, it simply took too long to get anywhere and not enough choice. A one day consulting gig cost three days.

Calgary is great too, I just found the community to be more like Toronto except with cowboy boots. Although originally from Montreal, I very much dislike the East in both countries, so Calgary get's a nix from me for being too Eastern on the business and personal elite level .

I loved that so many regular Joe's make a good living and sometimes create very large companies in Edmonton and they still seem to be real, approachable and the other piece is it always seemed to me that I would be doing business in Edmonton with so many people from different lands whereas somehow they were all white guys in Calgary. I know that's not the complete landscape, but for 20 years that's what happened to me over and over again.

Gleb

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
gftrcoach said:
Iwhereas somehow they were all white guys in Calgary.

I understood your point of view for the rest of your post, but I was baffled by this point. I'm not Caucasian, so I'm not preaching that an all white city is the way to go, but I don't see how this is a negative and that is the way it came off.

Should a community be penalized and be associated negatively for not having visible minorities? Does it make it any worse than somewhere that does?

I've often said that I like Calgary, it seemed like a great place to live. Many of my friends (both Caucasian and non-Caucasian) think I'm nuts cause "there aren't enough coloured folk", but for me I don't see this as an issue.

I've traveled a lot in Europe and found it to be very diverse (excluding people of colour). Czechs and the French are both Caucasian, but very different. Why do people base diversity on skin pigment?

China may appear to be a very homogeneous society, however it is very diverse. Same goes with India, they all look brown, but they ain't the same. :)

Also, I also find it very interesting you say that seeing as you are in one of the more homogeneous cities in America, Salt Lake City. I've been there and I've got relatives there and let me say that if you ain't Mormon, it ain't so great.

DasFX said:
gftrcoach said:
Iwhereas somehow they were all white guys in Calgary.

I understood your point of view for the rest of your post, but I was baffled by this point. I'm not Caucasian, so I'm not preaching that an all white city is the way to go, but I don't see how this is a negative and that is the way it came off.

Sorry. Let me try again. Simply put, I enjoyed having Chinese, Iraqi, Korean, Iranian, Irish, Lebanese and Ukranian business partners in various projects over the years in Alberta. I went to Univesity in three countries, I'm multi-lingual, I just enjoy the overall diversity. I don't know why, and I enjoyed the rancher and oil type dudes in Calgary, AND they were all the same and I rarely met anyone different and some of the old money in Calgary were snobby compared to Edmonton. That's all. The "white guy" thing was a code word more for sameness and snobbiness. Other than that, I said I loved Calgary as well, I just liked Edmonton better.

Should a community be penalized and be associated negatively for not having visible minorities? Does it make it any worse than somewhere that does?

nope, just my preference

I've often said that I like Calgary, it seemed like a great place to live. Many of my friends (both Caucasian and non-Caucasian) think I'm nuts cause "there aren't enough coloured folk", but for me I don't see this as an issue.

I've traveled a lot in Europe and found it to be very diverse (excluding people of colour). Czechs and the French are both Caucasian, but very different. Why do people base diversity on skin pigment?

China may appear to be a very homogeneous society, however it is very diverse. Same goes with India, they all look brown, but they ain't the same. :)

No kidding I just did two weeks there. Wow, they have a possibily devastating culture clash upcoming there, my prediction anyway. It's like modernity and 1000 year old customs are finally clashing VERY hard, there could be a devastating Rural and old Hindu vs new Hindu clash that may cause a revolution.

Also, I also find it very interesting you say that seeing as you are in one of the more homogeneous cities in America, Salt Lake City. I've been there and I've got relatives there and let me say that if you ain't Mormon, it ain't so great.

I don't find this at all here. I have lots of Mormon and other than Mormon friends, partners and I have a diverse investment team. I have no clue what the beef with Mormons is here, all my circles are mixed and I keep hearing about it but I don't experience it. I also don't drink, that seems to be the source of a lot of digs here. Also Mormons really hustle, so sometimes people resent that, much like Jews are resented for their industriousness. My children are grown, and I hear that sometimes issues in schools build up resentments.

Gleb

MarkMayner

May 19, 2005
Nothern Alberta
Well, I like both. I am closer too Edmonton so I guess I like it more, although I find there are a lot of ignorant people. Don't get me wrong, there are nice people too.
Also Edmonton can be pretty dirty, but next year they are adding more attractions and everything.

As for hockey team, I am a die-hard Oilers fan. Wish they kept Nedved though... When they come back they will be better then ever.

Never been to Banff but seeing as I live 1 1/2 hour from Jasper I do go there a lot.

It's also nice to hear that I will be going to a world class university..

Uh, did I let it slip I'm not even 18..whoops

I like most cities, I have gone to a lot..

Least Fav - Winnipeg
Most Fav- Vancouver, Los Angelas, Halifax

elk 6x6

Apr 27, 2005
Montana
I know the question is which city is the better place to live. Since I don't live in either but have visited both, I find them equally attractive for different reasons. Edmonton has the mall which I like very much and alot of other nice places. Calgary has the Stampeed ( alot of fun), an indoor water park, the olimpic village, an amusement park and a very nice zoo amoung other nice places. Both have some excellent eating places. I like the Chinese and Japanese food the best. But if ever you are between Edmonton and Calgary on a Sunday, be sure to stop in Red Deer for the best KILLER buffet I have ever seen and eaten. It is in a hotel, I think its just the Red Deer Hotel not far off the highway. If you have ever been there or stop by later, tell me how you liked it. Thanks Elk

SECONDGEN

Electoral Member
Jun 7, 2005
Near the Rockies
Well because I am basing my vote on pure business. I am a second generation Calgarian (rare as rocking horse spit). I have worked for 18+ years in the thriving oil and gas business and the opportunities this field has opened for me have been spectacular. My SO is a native of Edmonton and leans towards Calgary as well. I can't base my judgement on anything else, but must say if I were to promote it, We are a big city with small town values, big heart, and big goals. We went from cow town to boom town, and let me tell you our international recognitian has far surpassed Edmontons in many fields. I am proud to just plain old be Canadian, secondly, from Alberta.
And one last note, Nothing compared to our RED MILE last year. WOW.