NDP bans hiring TFWs for 29 high-skilled jobs

tay
The Alberta government initiative, believed to be the first of its kind in Canada, will be watched closely by the federal government to see if it can be implemented federally or in other provinces, federal Employment, Workforce Development and Labour Minister Patty Hajdu said in Edmonton Wednesday.

The job categories covered under the new employer liaison service include civil and mechanical engineers, plumbers, electricians, carpenters, construction millwrights and heavy equipment mechanics.

Under the 24-month pilot program, those job categories will be placed on a "refusal to process" list within the temporary foreign worker program.

Instead, any company seeking a permit to bring in a foreign worker in those job categories will be contacted by staff in Alberta Labour and directed to potential local hires.

The job categories were selected because there is a sufficient pool of unemployed workers with those skills within Alberta.

The initiative was announced in Edmonton Wednesday by Alberta Labour Minister Christina Gray. Hajdu was also there.

Gray said the program will be evaluated every quarter and future adjustments could be made to the job categories covered by the initiative.

"The data we gather, as Minister Gray has just finished speaking about, is going to be essential in deciding at a federal level whether or not there's application in other provinces or other regions that are experiencing downturn," Hajdu said.

"The focus of the federal government with the temporary foreign worker program is always to make sure Canadians have the first crack at available jobs, and then after that is done, then to look at supporting employers with prolonged labour shortages in very specific areas."

Alberta bans hiring foreign workers for 29 high-skilled jobs - Edmonton - CBC News

Scooby
+1
#2  Top Rated Post
That's because low end retail and the fast food industry are simply too big to fail.
NDP should have banned TFW's in Alberta completely, the process distorts the economy, and just ticks people off.

TenPenny
I can't wait for the usual suspects to come along explaining why this is a horrible idea.

Me, I'm glad I no longer have to deal with 'engineers' who can barely speak or write in any recognizable language, no do they understand anything about engineering.

Nick Danger
+1
All I can say is "It's about damn time". The TFW program, meant to bolster the Canadian work force in places where we are short of labour has been treated as a source for discount labour in areas where no shortage exists. I'ts long past time to take a firm hand with those abusing the program at the expense of Canadian citizens.

There was actually a Chinese mining company with an operation in BC who sought to make speaking Mandarin an employee requirement in order to freeze out BC miners. Give these bozos a slap.

taxslave
I work for international construction companies. The way I read this it means they can no longer bring in their regular staff to do a project in Canada. Craft workers I can see but not engineers that already work for the company or is for a specific task. One would think that if this was actually about protecting Canadian jobs the dippers would ban TFWs for fast food restaurants.

Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

I can't wait for the usual suspects to come along explaining why this is a horrible idea.

Me, I'm glad I no longer have to deal with 'engineers' who can barely speak or write in any recognizable language, no do they understand anything about engineering.

Quebec probably isn't included.

Nick Danger
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

I work for international construction companies. The way I read this it means they can no longer bring in their regular staff to do a project in Canada. Craft workers I can see but not engineers that already work for the company or is for a specific task. One would think that if this was actually about protecting Canadian jobs the dippers would ban TFWs for fast food restaurants.

You'd think that would be easy enough to get around by giving the in-house engineers some sort of management status, wouldn't it?

Lower end employers, fast food and accomodations are a couple of perfect examples, are some of the worst offendors here. For them, like many, it's not about a shortage of labour, it's about the opportunity for cheaper labour.

Jinentonix
Quote: Originally Posted by Nick DangerView Post

You'd think that would be easy enough to get around by giving the in-house engineers some sort of management status, wouldn't it?

Lower end employers, fast food and accomodations are a couple of perfect examples, are some of the worst offendors here. For them, like many, it's not about a shortage of labour, it's about the opportunity for cheaper labour.

Actually, I believe it is about a shortage of labour. Want to have some "fun" one day when you have nothing to do? Count how many fast food locations there are in your city, or the closest urban center to where you live. Market saturation doesn't apply just to having more of the same service/product than you need for a given population. It also applies to employment potential.
How many fast-food franchises can you cram into a city of 160,000 people and still have an available pool of potential employees? And that's just one low-end McIndustry that's also competing for workers with other businesses in the food and drink industry, the accommodations sector, retail sales etc etc.

That's not an excuse to bring in TFWs, but it is a damn good reason for due diligence before opening a business that relies heavily on minimum wage labour.

TenPenny
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

They all hire temporary contract engineers for these projects, very very few are long-term company employees.