NDP table bill abolishing daylight savings time

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Thomas Dang, NDP MLA for Edmonton-South West who will table a bill next spring to repeal the Daylight Savings Act (DSA).

PC leadership candidate and MLA Richard Starke, tabled a petition to the Alberta Legislature that requested legislation to repeal the DSA and require Albertans to observe Central Standard Time throughout the entire year.

Dang said constituency offices receive a “big flood” of emails, letters and phone calls twice a year about the time change and he has been in consultations with members of his caucus and Alberta families in drafting a bill.

“I’d like to see one time all year so you wouldn’t have to change your clock anymore,” said Dang. “I don’t think that anybody really enjoys changing their clock twice a year.”

https://www.metronews.ca/news/calga...daylight-savings-time.html?platform=hootsuite

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
I personally think they should abolish standard time. We should wave more daylight at the end of our workday, when people are usually the most tired driving home. I lived in Saskatchewan long enough to appreciate the no-time-change philosophy. That though is by fluke of geography; the sun travels 15 degrees longitude per hour and the time zone boundary between Central and Mountain Time falls squarely down the middle of Saskatchewan. Sure the days get shorter in Winter, so why make the daylight in the evening shorter as well? Driving to work in the morning you are still driving toward daylight, it does affect the psyche. Seasonal Affective Disorder could probably be largely mitigated by staying on Daylight time.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Why don't they change over to a twenty hour clock, while they're at it ... ten hours of day ... ten hours of night ...
We could switch to Pacific standard time. The point of daylight savings time is to give more daylight hours during the summer time when people are enjoying the outdoors. Slo-pitch, soccer and golf leagues would be significantly reduced if the sun was going down at 8 in July. Switch to Pacific standard time and the sun would go down at 9 on the labour day weekend.