Notley target at oilmen association golf tournament touches off storm of protest onli

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Notley target at oilmen association golf tournament touches off storm of protest online
Emma McIntosh
First posted: Saturday, June 18, 2016 09:30 PM EDT | Updated: Saturday, June 18, 2016 11:12 PM EDT
As politicians reacted with dismay after learning Premier Rachel Notley's face was on a target used at an oilmen's golf tournament in Brooks, the man behind it all offered an apology for his attempt at "light-hearted humour."

"My goal was just to make people laugh," said Ernest Bothi, president of the Big Country Oilmen's Association in Brooks, Alta.

"It was a thing of humour. I sincerely apologize to anyone who was offended by it. . . . It was my idea, and I take sole responsibility."

The photo was first seen in a now-deleted post by Twitter user Ken Fleury, also a commentator for the Brooks Bandits junior hockey team.

The image was captioned: "Just love the #notley target at the oil men's golf tourney."

He later tweeted an apology.

Other users had already taken screenshots and the image quickly circulated on social media.

The Big Country Oilmen's Association held its annual golf tournament at the Brooks Golf Course Friday.

Golf course officials said they were unaware of the sign and don't agree with it.

NDP MLAs, including Minister for the Status of Women Stephanie McLean and Culture Minister Ricardo Miranda, expressed outrage.

McLean called the target "appalling," noting that British MP Jo Cox had been killed talking to constituents only a few days earlier and calling for Wildrose MLA Derek Fildebrandt, who was tagged in Fleury's original post, to denounce the target.

"This is totally unacceptable inexcusable and indefensible beyond words," said Miranda via Twitter.

But Bothi said he hadn't heard about Cox's death.

"One thing I'm guilty of is poor timing," he said. "Had I known that, I never would have put it up."

Bothi said it wasn't a gender issue, and was actually about his dislike for Notley's policies. Though he said he knows low oil prices aren't the Premier's fault, Bothi said said many in the energy sector feel frustrated with tax increases by the provincial government.

"There's massive unemployment here and it seems like the Premier doesn't care," Bothi said.

"I can't help but think if we'd put Stephen Harper's face up there, no one would be complaining about it."

NDP MLA Marie Renaud said the target was "disappointing," but not representative of the province as a whole.

"I've been hearing that same excuse for many years. That's not a joke, that's not funny," she said.

"I know 98 per cent of Albertans are not OK with this... We're so much better than this."

Fildebrandt, who represents Strathmore-Brooks and was temporarily ousted from the Wildrose caucus last month for his own social media scandal, condemned the sign later Saturday.

"It's come to my attention that a casually misogynistic tweet was posted by a random person while I was in meetings this morning, 500 KM away," Fildebrandt said in a Facebook post.

"In light of the senseless murder of female MP Jo Cox in the U.K., this kind of activity has no place whatsoever in decent society. It feeds a growing culture of disrespect of people who chose to dedicate their lives to public service, regardless of political stripe."

Fildebrandt said all his colleagues in the legislature, including Notley, deserve respect, and denied having anything to do with the target.

"To suggest that being tagged in a post by a random member of the public equates to endorsing those views, is cheap politics that feeds this growing disrespect for those of us trying to serve our communities," he said.

Calgary MP Michelle Rempel, who has been outspoken about the online threats female politicians often face, expressed incredulity over the sign.

"You spent a whole bunch of time actually printing up the Premier's face and putting it up as a target?" she said. "Don't do that, people."

More than that, Rempel said she has often faced violent threats.

"It was in such poor taste, so ill-conceived," she said. "Nobody who's entering public service should ever have to fear for their life."

— With files from James Wood

emintosh@postmedia.com

Notley target at oilmen association golf tournament touches off storm of protest

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
A premier's or PM's face is a legitimate target. I remember several people using Mike Harris's face or Harper's face for nefarious purposes back in the day. There was no outrage since it was fair game. It is unfortunate that libtard left winders lack senses of humour.

This is no more or less acceptable than the Donald Trump urinal.

How many golfers successfully hit the target?

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
I agree that it was a poorly considered "joke", but I also think the reaction is out of proportion as well. Our elected leaders will always be legitimate targets for those inclined to take advantage of it, but at an "Oilmens" function it tends to blow back in their faces as, as was openly admitted by the author of said joke, Notely is not responsible for low crude prices. The continued harping on the NDP's tax hikes as a big contributor to Alberta's woes shows limited vision, likely coming from the sort of people who still think of RebelMedia as quality journalism.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Wow, so desperate they're even dragging Jo Cox into it? Jo Cox was shot and stabbed. I could see this being highly offensive if it was targets at a shooting range, but a golf course? Sounds like a bunch of snowflakes need to untwist their panties and pull that pole out of their asses.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Wow, so desperate they're even dragging Jo Cox into it? Jo Cox was shot and stabbed. I could see this being highly offensive if it was targets at a shooting range, but a golf course? Sounds like a bunch of snowflakes need to untwist their panties and pull that pole out of their asses.

I seen the comparison too, i was quite surprised.... In one article i read it said even a female golfer was trying to hit the sign and thought it was funny also... It seems like everyone wants to be a victim these days...