Edmonton woman gets veiled apology after burka ban

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Edmonton woman gets veiled apology after burka ban
By Dave Lazzarino
First posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 06:58 PM EST | Updated: Sunday, February 07, 2016 07:58 PM EST
She was kicked out of a store because of her clothing and then dealt with the social media fallout of her story online. But 19-year-old Sarii Ghalab has no intention of letting it break her spirit.
"That's just going to be how it is. For the rest of eternity there will be people hating on you because of the way you dress and the way you act," said Ghalab, whose brother's Reddit post last week about his sister being denied service at a north Edmonton shoe repair store got attention from readers across the country.
"Are you going to respond with hatred just like he acted with hatred?" she said. "If you're a good person, you're a good person, it has absolutely nothing to do with how you dress."
Ghalab went into Edmonton Shoe Repair in Northgate Centre Mall Jan. 28 but the owner, Ryan Vale, told her he wouldn't serve her because her face was covered.
Ghalab left and returned later with flowers and a letter explaining the reasons for her choice to wear the burka - that wearing it allows her to take power away from anyone who might choose to judge her for her looks and demand they pay attention to her character and what she has to say.
But she was turned away a second time and says witnesses can attest to Vale saying it was because of his "ethics" and not just security.
Vale has since issued an apology, saying he didn't mean to hurt her feelings, but added "if a lot of people started wearing full mask burkas in the store and shopping around I would definitely feel uneasy from a safety and security point of view."
Some places like banks and pharmacies have rules against balaclavas and hoodies to discourage criminal behaviour.
But without substantial evidence to show people wearing niqabs or burkas have committed crimes like robbery or shoplifting, that wouldn't be enough to defend against a human rights complaint.
According to Susan Coombes, a manager in education and engagement with the Alberta Human Rights Commission (AHRC), each complaint is dealt with differently but offering service to people based on what they are wearing - something Vale admitted to doing - could be considered against the law.
Ghalab said rather than react to ignorance with a formal complaint, she prefers to take the high road, and suggests others who find themselves in her position do the same.
"Show the world that, through the way you carry yourself, through the way you talk or the way you interact, that you are not just a little girl," she said, "you're not just some random person. You're unique."
david.lazzarino@sunmedia.ca
twitter.com/SUNDaveLazz
The owner of an Edmonton shoe repair store says his decision to deny service to a woman wearing a burka was motivated by safety, not because of religious or cultural differences.

Edmonton woman gets veiled apology after burka ban | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The owner must have a bad day when the north wind is blowing and most of the people on the street are wearing ski-masks.
No hints as to if his nationality or background had some bearing on his despicable behavior, I wonder if that is intentional?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The owner must have a bad day when the north wind is blowing and most of the people on the street are wearing ski-masks.
No hints as to if his nationality or background had some bearing on his despicable behavior, I wonder if that is intentional?

I'm not defending this merchants behavior, but looking
at the picture of his shop in the O.P. if the north wind is
blowing inside of that shopping mall so that most people
coming into his store are wearing ski-masks, then there
are real issues with that mall.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I know IF I were a criminal and planning a bank robbery, this would be a perfect disguise. Everybody would think I was a moslem woman.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Well Ron, it would appear your reading habits have changed as you should have picked up on 'the street' part as it doesn't appear that he gets to drive his car all the way to 'the store. Forget what I said about the wounded dog. A person shouldn't get any pets if he has to include them in his will as most relatives just ship them off to the pound and look for better thing in the document. Dying at home is also better than being carted off to the vet.
If it came to the last meal I would prefer me to be his rather than the other way around. I'm sure the dog has a list of people looking at giving him a home and I would thing another lost dog might. In my neck of the woods a stray dog is gradually introduced to 'the family' Seeing how they get along with cats is a good indication of how they will interact with people. My dog and a cat will play the reflex/race game where the dog will charge the cat and the cat then runs away to a 'safe spot'. If a fence is in the way they 'race to the tree on the corner' is the 'game'.
Leaving some food on the table is also a quick way to find out if kitchen habits need to be altered until the dog is trained to the way you want it to be, over a undetermined amount of time is a given .
Anyway . . . that is about as up to date as it gets. Bye.

I know IF I were a criminal and planning a bank robbery, this would be a perfect disguise. Everybody would think I was a moslem woman.
They track cards and things when you come in. All the shop has to do is put up digital items and pay for it and pick it up at the exit.

More likely the sight of an leg and no facial contact was making his wiener bigger and that is 'hard' to hide from a woman. She might have enjoyed it as she even brought him flowers the next day. That is a western tradition for 'getting lucky on the first date'.
Solution, hire a white guy to fit the shoes on the client's feet and the owner keeps his eyes on the money end of things.