Alberta court reverses two labour laws that took away the right to strike

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Justice Denis Thomas of Court of Queen’s Bench ruled that section 96 of the Labour Relations Code and section 70 of the Public Service Employee Relations Act violate the charter.

Union lawyer Pat Nugent says the Alberta government did not oppose the judgement.

In January, the Supreme Court of Canada struck down a controversial Saskatchewan law that prevented public-sector employees from striking, saying it was unconstitutional.

The high court also gave the Saskatchewan government one year to change its laws.

Alberta court strikes down labour laws that take away right to strike | Globalnews.ca

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Those scales get balanced every so often in terms of negotiating new contracts.

As the gubmint is the one holding all the purse strings, they craft the overall budget that includes what the union(s) are forced to accept.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Those scales get balanced every so often in terms of negotiating new contracts.

As the gubmint is the one holding all the purse strings, they craft the overall budget that includes what the union(s) are forced to accept.

AKA putting your thumb on the scale. Lol.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Some day the brothers and sisters will chop the fukking thumb off.

Then we can all be commies

Won't that be fun !

I'm still working on becoming universal ruler, then everything will be fine.

As long as everybody brings me chocolate in the afternoon, coffee in the morning, and adoration always. :D

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
AKA putting your thumb on the scale. Lol.

What has happened in the past when the Teacher's Union went on strike was that the gvt would release more licenses for private and charter schools.

It got to the point where the Ministry of Education now had the ability to measure the effectiveness of all schools against each other and thereby had a stronger hand relative to future negotiations with that union.

It was from that stand point that the gvt could more easily dictate terms

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Justice Denis Thomas of Court of Queen’s Bench ruled that section 96 of the Labour Relations Code and section 70 of the Public Service Employee Relations Act violate the charter.

Union lawyer Pat Nugent says the Alberta government did not oppose the judgement.

In January, the Supreme Court of Canada struck down a controversial Saskatchewan law that prevented public-sector employees from striking, saying it was unconstitutional.

The high court also gave the Saskatchewan government one year to change its laws.

Alberta court strikes down labour laws that take away right to strike | Globalnews.ca

Most unfortunate ruling. Civil servants that have a monopoly on the services they provide must not be permitted to hold the citizens hostage. All government services are either essential or redundant. This doesn't mean that they should not be paid appropriately for the job they do.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Most unfortunate ruling. Civil servants that have a monopoly on the services they provide must not be permitted to hold the citizens hostage. All government services are either essential or redundant. This doesn't mean that they should not be paid appropriately for the job they do.

You see it occasionally when some union representing an essential service has their 'job actions' or rotating strikes.... Really rides a fine line between illegal (as is often the case) or in that grey area of legal interpretation.

Too bad there are not more people like Reagan that got fed up with those games and took a harsh action when that was done during his watch

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
What has happened in the past when the Teacher's Union went on strike was that the gvt would release more licenses for private and charter schools.

It got to the point where the Ministry of Education now had the ability to measure the effectiveness of all schools against each other and thereby had a stronger hand relative to future negotiations with that union.

It was from that stand point that the gvt could more easily dictate terms
I blame the teachers' unions for the failure of education in schools where there are no unionized teachers.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
All public school teachers are unionized. Part of the deal for getting a job.

The public school teachers union was the worst here in AB for a long time... It was never a question of IF they would strike every 3 years (they refused anything longer than a 3 year contract), they always hit the picket lines with really heavy demands.

Klein got playing hardballand changed the dynamic within 3 contract cycles... Now, I can't remember the last time the teachers went on strike

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The public school teachers union was the worst here in AB for a long time... It was never a question of IF they would strike every 3 years (they refused anything longer than a 3 year contract), they always hit the picket lines with really heavy demands.

Klein got playing hardballand changed the dynamic within 3 contract cycles... Now, I can't remember the last time the teachers went on strike
And THAT is precisely how it's supposed to work. Klein used the system, which provides roughly equal power to labor and mismanagement, to correct an imbalance that built up over time. If Klein's predecessors had been as intelligent and serious about their responsibility to spend the public treasury wisely, the imbalance would not have built up in the first place.

But it's much easier to shout "Unions suck! Let's outlaw them!"