All four of Banff's grizzly cubs born in 2014 have been killed

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
All four of Banff's grizzly cubs born in 2014 have been killed
Michael Platt, QMI Agency
First posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 06:33 AM EST | Updated: Friday, January 16, 2015 06:53 AM EST
CALGARY -- A grisly end -- but hopefully not an end to grizzlies.
That's the cautious concern being expressed by top bear experts in Alberta and Montana, after Banff National Park confirmed all four grizzly cubs born in the park last year have been killed.
"Anytime you have a complete mortality like this, it is cause for concern," said Brian Horejsi, a respected Alberta biologist and grizzly expert.
"I don't think anybody should panic about it, but we should look at it in the context that this is another indication that the population is having a difficult time staying viable."
Officials with Parks Canada have confirmed that the quartet of cubs, which emerged in pairs last spring behind two collared females, never returned to their dens for hibernation -- and the best guess is they were killed by roving male grizzlies.
"We can't be sure, but based on 40 years of research, I can say most of these bears die from reasons other than other bears killing them."
The four cubs were the only bears known to have been born in the Bow Valley in 2014, and in a year in which two grizzlies were killed on national park highways, the six-bruin death tally is a serious blow to a struggling population.
For one of the two grizzly sows, this marks the second time she has lost both of her cubs in a single season -- indeed, not one of Bear 130's four cubs so far has managed to survive to maturity in the Banff region.
In October 2012, the yearling pair from her first litter was killed on the rail tracks west of the Banff townsite.
All park officials know about the fate of Bear 130's latest cubs is that they were last seen in late June.
Banff's human-wildlife conflict department suspects the two fell victim to male bears roaming the same area -- and that's also their belief for the two cubs belonging to Bear 138, who denned near the Lake Louise ski hill last year, forcing the closure of an area.
She emerged in spring with two cubs, and photos of the trio were a social media sensation -- but a short time later, one of the small bears was found on the Trans-Canada Highway in state of distress, having been separated from the mother.
Parks staff managed to herd that cub back to Bear 138, but the second cub was never found -- and in an area where large male grizzlies were known to be roaming, the fate of both cubs may have been sealed.
Biologist Horejsi says that is probably just pure speculation -- and with up to 70% of grizzly cubs dying in their first year from all manner of accidents and mishaps, Horejsi says blaming male bears is likely a guess.
"We can't be sure, but based on 40 years of research, I can say most of these bears die from reasons other than other bears killing them," he said.
"What it means for the population, it's too soon to say at this point -- but certainly, it is a concern anytime you have a year with no known recruitment."
If not for the already tenuous state of Banff's grizzly population, says Horejsi, four cubs dying would not be an issue, because the mortality rate is always high.
But the Bow Valley is different, in that bears and wildlife in general are in constant conflict with people -- and natural infant mortality cycles are competing with very unnatural and often deadly surroundings.
"This only increases the tension in a population trying to maintain itself, or in the case of Banff, trying to recover, because I believe the population in Banff is far below what it would be with less human impact," said Horejsi.
"The bear population in Banff is subjected to what I would call over threshold levels of cumulative effects, whether it's death on the tracks or the road or other reasons."
The most recent estimate has 65 grizzlies roaming Banff National Park, 109 in Jasper, up to 15 in Yoho and between nine and 16 in Kootenay National Park.
In July, male Bear 149 was killed on Hwy. 93, while male Bear 123 -- an orphan who lost his mother to a train four years ago -- was fatally stuck down on the Trans-Canada Highway through Yoho in October.
Montana-based wildlife biologist Michael Sawaya, who has conducted previous studies on the Bow Valley grizzly numbers, says the death of the four cubs is bad news -- but it remains to be seen whether the loss is a serious blow to the seemingly fragile population.
"What it means for the population, it's too soon to say at this point -- but certainly, it is a concern anytime you have a year with no known recruitment," said Sawaya.
michael.platt@sunmedia.ca
All four of Banff's grizzly cubs born in 2014 have been killed | Canada | News |

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
For one of the two grizzly sows, this marks the second time she has lost both of her cubs in a single season -- indeed, not one of Bear 130's four cubs so far has managed to survive to maturity in the Banff region.
In October 2012, the yearling pair from her first litter was killed on the rail tracks west of the Banff townsite.
All park officials know about the fate of Bear 130's latest cubs is that they were last seen in late June.
Banff's human-wildlife conflict department suspects the two fell victim to male bears roaming the same area -- and that's also their belief for the two cubs belonging to Bear 138, who denned near the Lake Louise ski hill last year, forcing the closure of an area.
She emerged in spring with two cubs, and photos of the trio were a social media sensation -- but a short time later, one of the small bears was found on the Trans-Canada Highway in state of distress, having been separated from the mother.
Parks staff managed to herd that cub back to Bear 138, but the second cub was never found -- and in an area where large male grizzlies were known to be roaming, the fate of both cubs may have been sealed.
so some of the deaths are natural and some are due to man...don't know how we will solve this one

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
so some of the deaths are natural and some are due to man...don't know how we will solve this one

You can't solve the natural one. Its a part of life.

We need better signs on our railways and roads warning the grizzlies of the danger of being on the tracks and roads.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
You can't solve the natural one. Its a part of life.

We need better signs on our railways and roads warning the grizzlies of the danger of being on the tracks and roads.
true...we should probably move the grizzly crossings, they have obviously been incorrectly placed

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Men lie, bears don't.
"one of the small bears was found on the Trans-Canada Highway in state of distress, having been separated from the mother.

Those two don't match. Being an easy photo target is why she was left in the area rather than being taken to the back country where they would still be alive.
Bears will do that if mom is in heat, for a male to go near a cub he really risks not having any balls left after the meeting.
I'm going to say being unable to get across the road safely is what caused the destruction of all 4 cubs, this year and last year.
I'm also going to say park officials are quite happy to see this bear be a dumpster diver and the cubs being that way from birth would be 2nd generation, tourist attractions and you can bet you bottom dollar when wildlife is beside the highway a lot of people stop like they aren't supposed to.

IMO if you are going to run an open air zoo in the middle of a business corridor you better move the ones you value most. Also in this day and age the back country can be expanded as it is wilderness and the forestry can do their photo shoots by drone or by remote cameras on game trails.

In the sensitivity area giving the bear a number is meant to do that. Not a big deal if it is a body but when you are taking photos to seel or have her around as an attraction you could at least give her a name. Swapping definitions would be quite justified, names are given to animals and numbers are give to the important ones.

Relocate 'em to your kitchen by right of prior possession.
Wolverine Mountains behind the Hope Dam is looking for female gizz and cubs. The dumpster divers from the parks would starve to death in the true wild.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
true...we should probably move the grizzly crossings, they have obviously been incorrectly placed
That's funny, the last season I was working on cleaning up some of the older well sites our engineer/safety guy was complaining about signs and certain design parameters for any open pits. He was saying the signs should be enough just as a herd of deer came scooting across the field and I pointed and said the pit designs were there for the trespassers who couldn't read. Totally impressed in how he had the how guy remove the 'walls' and slope or bench them, I don't see the park being as sensitive.

What's a whole (baby) bear cub carcass worth on the 'black market' ?

WTF? There are oodles of blacks and browns for photo ops.
What part of grizz did you not see? You want to flour dust some and call it a polar bear go for it. I'll even donate the flour and the 50 lbs of honey that you should wear to keep the bugs away.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Men lie, bears don't.
"one of the small bears was found on the Trans-Canada Highway in state of distress, having been separated from the mother.

Those two don't match. Being an easy photo target is why she was left in the area rather than being taken to the back country where they would still be alive.
Bears will do that if mom is in heat, for a male to go near a cub he really risks not having any balls left after the meeting.
I'm going to say being unable to get across the road safely is what caused the destruction of all 4 cubs, this year and last year.
I'm also going to say park officials are quite happy to see this bear be a dumpster diver and the cubs being that way from birth would be 2nd generation, tourist attractions and you can bet you bottom dollar when wildlife is beside the highway a lot of people stop like they aren't supposed to.

IMO if you are going to run an open air zoo in the middle of a business corridor you better move the ones you value most. Also in this day and age the back country can be expanded as it is wilderness and the forestry can do their photo shoots by drone or by remote cameras on game trails.

In the sensitivity area giving the bear a number is meant to do that. Not a big deal if it is a body but when you are taking photos to seel or have her around as an attraction you could at least give her a name. Swapping definitions would be quite justified, names are given to animals and numbers are give to the important ones.
yes it's certainly possible, sad if true, but possible.

That's funny, the last season I was working on cleaning up some of the older well sites our engineer/safety guy was complaining about signs and certain design parameters for any open pits. He was saying the signs should be enough just as a herd of deer came scooting across the field and I pointed and said the pit designs were there for the trespassers who couldn't read. Totally impressed in how he had the how guy remove the 'walls' and slope or bench them, I don't see the park being as sensitive.
yeah it crossed my mind about the relocation too...

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Many side valleys miles wide and access mostly by water on a lake that is 270 miles long, google earth the head-waters of the Peace River. Park like setting but without the insanity, so far. . . . . you are right, nasty place, please don't go there.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Many side valleys miles wide and access mostly by water on a lake that is 270 miles long, google earth the head-waters of the Peace River. Park like setting but without the insanity, so far.
well she has lost a lot of cubs...if the grizzlies really are their priority they will push them into the wilderness, we have miles and miles of it

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Maybe they should ship in some of the "troublesome" bears from other areas instead of destroying them?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Maybe they should ship in some of the "troublesome" bears from other areas instead of destroying them?
I don't understand why they fly some out and just kill others

and I read some bizarre articles lately about white bears that supposedly were supposed to be "spirit bears" but some guy proved they actually exist and they just vanish into the wilds...

we are so destructive at times and at other times over the top insane with our attempt to help and preserve

we truly are so ignorant about so much yet we think we "know"...that's when we are at our most dangerous...when we think we "know"

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I don't understand why they fly some out and just kill others

and I read some bizarre articles lately about white bears that supposedly were supposed to be "spirit bears" but some guy proved they actually exist and they just vanish into the wilds...

we are so destructive at times and at other times over the top insane with our attempt to help and preserve

we truly are so ignorant about so much yet we think we "know"...that's when we are at our most dangerous...when we think we "know"

I think that the decision to kill or relocate is based on the opinion of the individual who has the gun on them and nothing more.

Cubs are always taken to rescue agencies. Adults are not. The animals are expected to know that after 1 or 2 attempts at relocating, if they do not "learn their lesson" they will be shot. Unfortunately, with man wanting to build houses in the wilds and offering all kinds of tasty treats within easy access, bears learn and remember where the food is. If that source is taken away, the bears will revisit for several years. Cause some plants don't come back every year, or even every other year and bears know that.

Here in BC, they offer a course for free on how to get along with black bears to residence who have decided they want to live in the forest, but haven't the skills in dealing with wildlife. These people plant fruit trees and fish ponds in their yards in bear country!

The problem isn't bears. It's people. We have signs on some of the most strenous hiking trails that flip flops and heeled shoes are not appropriate!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I think that the decision to kill or relocate is based on the opinion of the individual who has the gun on them and nothing more.

Cubs are always taken to rescue agencies. Adults are not. The animals are expected to know that after 1 or 2 attempts at relocating, if they do not "learn their lesson" they will be shot. Unfortunately, with man wanting to build houses in the wilds and offering all kinds of tasty treats within easy access, bears learn and remember where the food is. If that source is taken away, the bears will revisit for several years. Cause some plants don't come back every year, or even every other year and bears know that.

Here in BC, they offer a course for free on how to get along with black bears to residence who have decided they want to live in the forest, but haven't the skills in dealing with wildlife. These people plant fruit trees and fish ponds in their yards in bear country!

The problem isn't bears. It's people. We have signs on some of the most strenous hiking trails that flip flops and heeled shoes are not appropriate!
yes it's us, we simply aren't knowledgeable enough yet, we are getting there in increments, I just hope the increments are fast enough in the end

some days I am more hopeful than others

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
yes it's us, we simply aren't knowledgeable enough yet, we are getting there in increments, I just hope the increments are fast enough in the end

some days I am more hopeful than others

The one thing that everyone says that I find really frustrating is "animals are not predictable" and that's bull. They are predictable. We just don't know how to read them or know enough of their body language, rituals and manners. It's our failing, not theirs. We are still too arrogant to see.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The one thing that everyone says that I find really frustrating is "animals are not predictable" and that's bull. They are predictable. We just don't know how to read them or know enough of their body language, rituals and manners. It's our failing, not theirs. We are still too arrogant to see.
absolutely...we finally, FINALLY are acknowledging that animals are way more intelligent than previously understood and have feelings that motivate them too

that scares many because then we would have to change everything; how we raise, how we guardian, how we slaughter, how we market, how we eat