Would like to open a grocery store in Calgary

InaCalgary

Sep 20, 2014
Hi guys, I will move to Calgary within a few months. I plan on opening a fine "ethnic" grocery store in the city next year. But I have a hard time finding the average cost per month of renting a small or middle sized place in the city. Im sure it depends on the area, so if you have any information, it will really help me to prepare myself

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Kijiji should give you some leads. I would locate the part of the city where that 'ethnic' group is located and see if the community can use another place like that. If that is over crowded perhaps a partnership might work with one of the established stores already open.

InaCalgary

Sep 20, 2014
Hi guys, I will move to Calgary within a few months. I plan on opening a fine "ethnic" grocery store in the city next year. But I have a hard time finding the average cost per month of renting a small or middle sized place in the city. Im sure it depends on the area, so if you have any information, it will really help me to prepare myself
Well I went to Kijiji but didn't find anything :( Thanks for the piece of advice ! I also wanted the general population of Calgary to discover fine ethnic food that they may not be used to. So I want the place to be "visible" enough

thank you for this link !

InaCalgary

Sep 20, 2014
Which ethnicity?
it will be an african / carribean grocery store. And the products (fresh and dry food) will be very well "packaged" (for marketing purpose). And its "fine" and healthy food. I really want the general population of Calgary to try my products.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I believe there is an African grocery on 17 ave SE already. Caribbean, I haven't seen yet.

InaCalgary

Sep 20, 2014
I believe there is an African grocery on 17 ave SE already. Caribbean, I haven't seen yet.
Yes indeed ! I know their store. Its very different from what I want to do. We might become partners in the future since I also want to do wholesale. Who knows ?
Well, lots of products eaten in Africa are also eaten in the caribbeans and in parts of Asia (India, Thailand, Vietnam, China for example). But its cooked differently of course

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Don't be alarmed if the customers stare and whisper. Keep well stocked in vinegar and motor oil dressing.

InaCalgary

Sep 20, 2014
If Regina can support a Caribe grocery joint, I think Calgary can handle two.
Oh and even more than that. Its all about the selection of products that you have to offer I think. And also about trying to cater to the general population, instead of just one small community.