Visiting Banff

DavidB

Nominee Member
Apr 24, 2006
www.akiti.ca
This summer, for the first time, I drove from Vancouver to Calgary.

I would have liked to stop at Banff to buy a shot glass (my wife collects them) but, on the way there, I missed the exit. I saw a sign that said Banff Avenue, or something like that, but didn't realize that was the only exit to Banff. Dang!! Whoever is in charge there should have put up some indication that to go to Banff people have to get off the Trans-Canada Highway. As somebody new to the area, I didn't realize the highway bypassed the town of Banff. I watched that exit disappear in my rear-view mirror, cursing at the poor signage. I think the next opportunity to turn around was Canmore. No thanks!

However, the people I stayed with in Calgary told me that we would have needed a Park Pass to stop in Banff anyhow. Seriously?!?! Not sure if he was pulling my leg; otherwise, I would have liked to stop there on the way back to Vancouver. As it is, Banff missed out on a few more visitors. And who knows how many more people make the same mistake I made.

Can anybody here confirm for me if a Park Pass is necessary to stop at Banff? The next time I go past, I'd like to stop by just long enough to buy a souvenir shot glass, but I am not willing to buy a Pass for the privilege of doing so.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This summer, for the first time, I drove from Vancouver to Calgary.

I would have liked to stop at Banff to buy a shot glass (my wife collects them) but, on the way there, I missed the exit. I saw a sign that said Banff Avenue, or something like that, but didn't realize that was the only exit to Banff. Dang!! Whoever is in charge there should have put up some indication that to go to Banff people have to get off the Trans-Canada Highway. As somebody new to the area, I didn't realize the highway bypassed the town of Banff. I watched that exit disappear in my rear-view mirror, cursing at the poor signage. I think the next opportunity to turn around was Canmore. No thanks!

However, the people I stayed with in Calgary told me that we would have needed a Park Pass to stop in Banff anyhow. Seriously?!?! Not sure if he was pulling my leg; otherwise, I would have liked to stop there on the way back to Vancouver. As it is, Banff missed out on a few more visitors. And who knows how many more people make the same mistake I made.

Can anybody here confirm for me if a Park Pass is necessary to stop at Banff? The next time I go past, I'd like to stop by just long enough to buy a souvenir shot glass, but I am not willing to buy a Pass for the privilege of doing so.

Banff National Park, Alberta- Banff Lake Louise Tourism- AB Travel Vacations, Canada

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
haha given its a town of about 2000 people it shouldnt be too surprising that there is only one way in. I went there a few years ago and loved it. Though the downtown area seemed like an outdoor shopping mall.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
haha given its a town of about 2000 people it shouldnt be too surprising that there is only one way in. I went there a few years ago and loved it. Though the downtown area seemed like an outdoor shopping mall.

Lake Louise might be a better choice.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard

Actually there are two ways in. The OP missed both.
Yes, you need a day pass.. free if you are a 'commercial caller'.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Thanks for the clarification.

In that case, I won't be visiting Banff in the foreseeable future.
And I'll be discouraging other people from doing so too.

I wouldn't worry too much about the day pass.... The parking control guys are almost nonexistent. As long as you're not planning on spending hours and hours, you'll be fine.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I spend my time in Canmore, but on those rare occasions wherein I find myself having to cart someone to Banff for the day, I refuse to pay those morons.... I take solace in the fact that the $8.00 I pay for each beer covers-off any deficiency that may have been experienced in the lack of gate payment

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I spend my time in Canmore, but on those rare occasions wherein I find myself having to cart someone to Banff for the day, I refuse to pay those morons.... I take solace in the fact that the $8.00 I pay for each beer covers-off any deficiency that may have been experienced in the lack of gate payment
gonna speak to you to find all the back roads in when we visit :p

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard

deleted...

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

your loss.

and btw, the signage on the highway for the 2 Banf exits are more than adequate. Only a blind retard would have missed it.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle

We learned about Banff in the early mid 60's and spent our time in Jasper which actually liked Albertan and other Canadian residents. Fishing was better also ;-)
Not sure what it is like now as i have not been there for 25 years other than driving past.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
your loss.

and btw, the signage on the highway for the 2 Banf exits are more than adequate. Only a blind retard would have missed it.

I'm not so sure about that, Ger.......... a few years ago hauling the 5th wheel, we were thinking of camping near Banff and missed the turnoff and wound up camping at some lake, I think it was Minny Wanker! .

We learned about Banff in the early mid 60's and spent our time in Jasper which actually liked Albertan and other Canadian residents. Fishing was better also ;-)
Not sure what it is like now as i have not been there for 25 years other than driving past.

Jasper is good as long as you don't have to buy anything.