Cancer Society Pushing for Flavoured Tobacco Ban

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The Canadian Cancer Society is pushing for a ban on candy and menthol flavoured tobacco, and harsher laws preventing the sale of tobacco to minors.

In their case regarding the issue of flavoured tobacco, they've made the following points...

Two out of three youth smokers, smoke candy flavoured cigarettes.

Candy and fruit-flavoured tobacco products lure kids into experimenting with tobacco, which puts them at risk of addiction

Tobacco companies are deliberately targeting kids with flavoured products, slim cigarettes and attractive packaging.

One in four Alberta youth who use tobacco smoke menthol cigarettes. In comparison, less than one in twenty-five adult smokers smoke menthol cigarettes.

Menthol is the most dangerous flavour because it covers up the harsh tobacco taste, and reduces the throat irritation that comes with smoking, enabling deeper inhalation for increased uptake of cigarette smoke.

Newer flavoured tobacco products like cherry, grape and chocolate are gaining popularity fast. All flavoured tobacco must be banned
Alberta has the highest rate of youth spit tobacco use in Canada. Banning flavoured spit tobacco will mean fewer kids are tempted to start.

Alberta is the only province in Canada that has not passed a law making it illegal to sell tobacco to kids. A recent investigation by the Canadian Cancer Society and Action on Smoking and Health found that two out of every three stores tested were willing to sell tobacco to minors.

Tobacco sales to minors should be regulated as strictly as alcohol sales to minors. Just like liquor stores, stores that sell tobacco should have to get a license and face the risk of losing their license if they get caught selling to kids.

Help protect Alberta?s kids from the tobacco industry?s immoral marketing practices.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Alberta is the only province in Canada that has not passed a law making it illegal to sell tobacco to kids. A recent investigation by the Canadian Cancer Society and Action on Smoking and Health found that two out of every three stores tested were willing to sell tobacco to minors.

Wow, that is surprising. I did not know that. There should be a law, in my opinion. At least it would afford some level of prevention against young kids starting.

A ban though? I don't know, how far can the government go in banning what is still a legal product over flavour? I get the point behind it, I do, but to me it's analogous to banning wine coolers because their fruit flavoured but leaving alcohol as a whole as a legal product to purchase and consume.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Wouldn't making it illegal for kids to smoke, or sell kids cigarettes be a better place to start than banning flavoured smokes?

Which are gross btw.