Moving to Alberta to Start a New Career. PLZ Help!

Nima

Aug 24, 2012
I'm in my early twenties and I have a dead end job at an accounting firm. I'm close to finishing up my BBA, but I have a two year diploma in Business Management. I've done some thinking and I've decided that this isn't for me (office job and having to work my way up etc...). I'm barely making anything and I'm 20K in debt (student loans). In short, I'm dead certain that I want to pursue a trade and work in Northern Alberta (oil sands).

I have saved up about 6K to move to Alberta. I've also done a good amount of research and I know that I have to be accepted as an apprentice in order to move up. What I'm having a difficult time with are the specifics. I'm already in debt and I don't know anyone outside of BC so I need to have a solid plan prior to moving out.

1) If I take a pre-employment course (example) in the trade I'm interested in, will I have a better chance of getting accepted as an apprentice? I have no trades experience other than the odd labour jobs I had in high school.

2) If I take the pre-employment program at keyano College up in Fort McMurray, will I have a better chance of getting accepted as an apprentice? Even though I want to work in Northern Alberta, I'm scared of the high rent up in Fort Mc.

3) Any other advice you could give that's relevant to my situation would be highly appreciated. I need to do something with my life and a dead end job with crap pay wasn't how I imagined my life 5 years ago. Is it generally hard to become an apprentice?

Thanks in advance

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Alberta is the bible belt of Canada so see which church has a lot of people in it then join it in BC then move to Alberta and they will help you get a job and a place to stay

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Alberta is the bible belt of Canada so see which church has a lot of people in it then join it in BC then move to Alberta and they will help you get a job and a place to stay

Fess up. You've recently gotten a job with the Welcome Wagon haven't you?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
First off,all jobs are deadenders unless you are doing something that dosen't feel like work because you are interested in that field, whereas that 'job' or work willseem more like a hobby.

Secondly, check with either provinces Apprenticeship programs and the Local Union Halls of which ever fieldyou want will be ableto help as well as Employment Canada .

Thirdly, you might want to learn how tosearch for info on the google machine...............

How to Apply for the Apprenticeship Incentive Grant

Government of Alberta - Programs and Services

Nima

Aug 24, 2012
First off,all jobs are deadenders unless you are doing something that dosen't feel like work because you are interested in that field, whereas that 'job' or work willseem more like a hobby.

Secondly, check with either provinces Apprenticeship programs and the Local Union Halls of which ever fieldyou want will be ableto help as well as Employment Canada .

Thirdly, you might want to learn how tosearch for info on the google machine...............

How to Apply for the Apprenticeship Incentive Grant

Government of Alberta - Programs and Services
thanks for the info and the links, will check em out.

I kept reading online that it's 'impossible' to become an apprentice if you don't have any experience etc... That's why I opened the thread.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
thanks for the info and the links, will check em out.

I kept reading online that it's 'impossible' to become an apprentice if you don't have any experience etc... That's why I opened the thread.
Google operating engineers local 955 fort mac and start applying and dont worry if your not in a union.
Send them a resume.I'm in the patch east of edmonton and they advertise all day on the bear fm radio for oil field jobs.
You can get an apartment in fort mac for about $1200.00 or find someone with a new house and lots of bedrooms for about $650.00 a month.

Horrible place to work,hope to never see it again.

Nima

Aug 24, 2012
Google operating engineers local 955 fort mac and start applying and dont worry if your not in a union.
Send them a resume.I'm in the patch east of edmonton and they advertise all day on the bear fm radio for oil field jobs.
You can get an apartment in fort mac for about $1200.00 or find someone with a new house and lots of bedrooms for about $650.00 a month.

Horrible place to work,hope to never see it again.
Thanks for the info
I currently live in the North Shore area here in Vancouver (grew up here as well) and will probably go through a bit of a culture shock in Fort Mac, but that's life. We Canadian have been given a great opportunity. I can either stay here in Vancouver and slave away in an office for the better part of the next decade and barely make anything or go to Alberta, learn a trade and make a ton of money in the next 5 years. After that I can go and work anywhere in the world as well.

greatcarpenter

Jan 27, 2014
I'm in my early twenties and I have a dead end job at an accounting firm. I'm close to finishing up my BBA, but I have a two year diploma in Business Management. I've done some thinking and I've decided that this isn't for me (office job and having to work my way up etc...). I'm barely making anything and I'm 20K in debt (student loans). In short, I'm dead certain that I want to pursue a trade and work in Northern Alberta (oil sands).

I have saved up about 6K to move to Alberta. I've also done a good amount of research and I know that I have to be accepted as an apprentice in order to move up. What I'm having a difficult time with are the specifics. I'm already in debt and I don't know anyone outside of BC so I need to have a solid plan prior to moving out.

1) If I take a pre-employment course (example) in the trade I'm interested in, will I have a better chance of getting accepted as an apprentice? I have no trades experience other than the odd labour jobs I had in high school.

2) If I take the pre-employment program at keyano College up in Fort McMurray, will I have a better chance of getting accepted as an apprentice? Even though I want to work in Northern Alberta, I'm scared of the high rent up in Fort Mc.

3) Any other advice you could give that's relevant to my situation would be highly appreciated. I need to do something with my life and a dead end job with crap pay wasn't how I imagined my life 5 years ago. Is it generally hard to become an apprentice?

Thanks in advance

There are hundreds of openings for apprentices all across Canada. Simply go to "indeed" or "job bank" to view them. The great advantage is your paid to learn something that will pay you more than $50 an hour, and Double Time on weekends. There is a huge demand for all kinds of people with trade skills.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
There is a place in Edmonton, they train you for the first portion of an Electricians trade. They guarantee a job placement. There is no charge for the course.
That is why they can pick and choose. Approx 7 or 8 weeks.
I will check and see who to contact.

Found it

http://www.wirtanenelectric.ca/Home.html