Red Deer College - Apprenticeship - Prospects

eeekay333

Jul 8, 2012
Ive made the decision to attend RDC in the spring of 2013, currently something in the industrial trades, and seek employment in the oil industry. Im 27, have no prior mechanical experience (Ive been a chef for 5 years, now hate it.) I currently live in St. John's NL, and have the same programs available through College of the North Atlantic, but their waiting lists are 2-3 years for trades.

Does anyone have any experience with RDC? Are the a reputable school? At my age, would you think I will have trouble obtaining employment? How hard is it to get a fly in/out based job, or at least 2 week on/1 off position?

My main goal is to expose myself to new career paths, and hopefully apply my experiences to pursuing a more academic career such as engineering, geo-sciences, or something in the technology field.

Any input anyone has on these topics, criticisms or words of advice please share.

Thanks.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Ive made the decision to attend RDC in the spring of 2013, currently something in the industrial trades, and seek employment in the oil industry. Im 27, have no prior mechanical experience (Ive been a chef for 5 years, now hate it.) I currently live in St. John's NL, and have the same programs available through College of the North Atlantic, but their waiting lists are 2-3 years for trades.

Does anyone have any experience with RDC? Are the a reputable school? At my age, would you think I will have trouble obtaining employment? How hard is it to get a fly in/out based job, or at least 2 week on/1 off position?

My main goal is to expose myself to new career paths, and hopefully apply my experiences to pursuing a more academic career such as engineering, geo-sciences, or something in the technology field.

Any input anyone has on these topics, criticisms or words of advice please share.

Thanks.

RDC has long been a well respected college. Your age? If i was 27 today i would be damn well off by age 40 ish. In Alberta you only need a pulse to get a job.