Want to move to Edmonton or Calgary.

sim242

Oct 16, 2011
U.K
Hi,
Can anyone help me? I live and work in the U.K, never been to Canada but for the past 3years I have been really interested in moving to Edmonton or Calgary but I cant make my mind up. I work as a Pre-School manager and have 2 lovely children a 16yr old son and a 13yr old daughter. I don't know much about the areas but which is better? By that I mean employment, schools, colleges, weather (we like the winter snow and the summer). I know I need to go and visit Edmonton and Calgary in the near future but I think I would do that after I have had some feed back from people who have always lived there or people who have already moved from the U.K.

Many Thanks
sim242

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Hi,
Can anyone help me? I live and work in the U.K, never been to Canada but for the past 3years I have been really interested in moving to Edmonton or Calgary but I cant make my mind up. I work as a Pre-School manager and have 2 lovely children a 16yr old son and a 13yr old daughter. I don't know much about the areas but which is better? By that I mean employment, schools, colleges, weather (we like the winter snow and the summer). I know I need to go and visit Edmonton and Calgary in the near future but I think I would do that after I have had some feed back from people who have always lived there or people who have already moved from the U.K.

Many Thanks
sim242

You'd be wise to travel to both cities prior to making a decision and it'd be best to make the trip in winter as you'll get a taste of what they are like in the more difficult season. Edmonton is only a 3 hour drive from Calgary, so you can kill 2 birds with one stone over a single trip.

As far as which city is preferential, well, there's an old saying: "The only good thing to come out of Edmonton is the road to Calgary"

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You like winter snow but do you like Siberia type winter? They both have their pros and cons. What type of amenities are you seeking?

As far as which city is preferential, well, there's an old saying: "The only good thing to come out of Edmonton is the road to Calgary"
I was once passed by a John Deere combine on Hwy 2. I was doing 130km/h at the time.

sim242

Oct 16, 2011
U.K
Hi, thanks for the replies.
I would like not being to far from local amenities nursery schools, secondary schools, a uni, supermarkets, leisure complex and a hospital. A nice quiet area would be good not to close to city centre. Here in the UK I drive an hour every morning to work and I would like to work close to home now. I live on the boarder of Bradford and Leeds, if I drive 10 to 15 mins either way I am in the city centres which is fine, because where I live it is quiet on an evening.
So if you can, could you tell me about areas, which are good and bad, what is the property market like? What is the job market like? Most of all what are the people, schools like?

We don't mind the snow, it snows here as well maybe not that much but enough that schools and colleges close, however, my work place has never closed and the children's school has never closed which is great!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Hi, thanks for the replies.
I would like not being to far from local amenities nursery schools, secondary schools, a uni, supermarkets, leisure complex and a hospital. A nice quiet area would be good not to close to city centre. Here in the UK I drive an hour every morning to work and I would like to work close to home now. I live on the boarder of Bradford and Leeds, if I drive 10 to 15 mins either way I am in the city centres which is fine, because where I live it is quiet on an evening.
So if you can, could you tell me about areas, which are good and bad, what is the property market like? What is the job market like? Most of all what are the people, schools like?

We don't mind the snow, it snows here as well maybe not that much but enough that schools and colleges close, however, my work place has never closed and the children's school has never closed which is great!

Which communities and area of town you'll live in will be partly determined by the money you're prepared to spend on a home. In conjunction with this, where you'll be working will also have an impact. Both Calgary and Edmonton are (physically) very large cities, each with a population of close to a million. That said, there are numerous communities to choose from that vary greatly in terms of location, amenities, cost of a home, etc..

If you have the misfortune of working downtown in either city, plan for a legnthy commute (traffic congestion) if you live in the burbs.

These sites should start to give you an idea about location and price. You'll have to search the individual communities for schools, rec facilities, etc individually.

CREB® | Real Estate Resources For Calgary
Welcome to the REALTORS® Association of Edmonton

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I've lived in Edmonton for a few years and now live in the south. While I don't live in Calgary, I get Calgary news and do spend a fair bit of time there. I'd go with Edmonton.

sim242

Oct 16, 2011
U.K
Thanks to everyone again,
I will check out the links sent to me,both areas seem good. I do have a clearer vision of were or what sort of area I want to move to. I think we are the type of family that would also be spending our family time out and about driving to Calgary or Edmonton.
Here in the UK I have lived in the south and the north, the south was a very fast lifestyle, the weather was great, commuting to different places was easy,schools are very good, public transport is great but everyone's in their own world and not bothered what has happened to their neighbours and yes it is good to have competition but competition about everything is unbelievable . The northerners are quiet different, they are at a slower pace, will go and see the neighbours, appreciate a simple lifestyle, but I do find they don't like change much.

Thanks sim242