Olympic Opening Ceremonies, a lie...

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The dog and pony show...

Here in Canada, our knowledge on our own history is dismal, and given the dog and pony show we saw in the opening of the Vancouver Olympics, it seems that is further compounded by a lack of knowledge on contemporary struggles as well.

For decades the Native communities across Canada have been abused, subjugated, robbed and murdered. With little more then payoffs and lip service, being the apology, with no real solution achieved. Still, in the new millennium, we are struggling with, fighting against the theft of our traditional lands.Land claims are purposely dragged on by both Federal and Provincial leaders. In some faint hope that they will miraculously go away. Or become the issue for some other elected party.

When the insurmountable evidence is finally to much to ignore, they throw money at us, in hopes of making us go away. And as a collective people, we seem unable to look past that monetary reward and lap it up with glee.

We are still very much enamored by trinkets, beads, shiny bobbles and fire water.

And when push comes to shove, we push back with lawlessness and violence. Only aiding the Gov't in keep the opinion of us, in low standings, in the court of public opinion.

Given the very real fact that there are hundreds of land claims unresolved, the fact that our people are still subjugated in some ways, the opening ceremony struck me as a dog and pony show...

Reminiscent of the my childhood when the odd tourist would wander onto the res looking for "injuns". Being oh so disappointed when they found us wearing "whitemans" clothes instead of sitting around a fire, skinning Deer, in nothing but a loin cloth and sporting the icon head dresses of the midwest tribes.

This only perpetuates the stereotype and certainly was not an accurate portrayal of the contemporary Native community. And how that community is seen by the general public. For had it been an honest representation of how the average Canadian sees the Native community, you would have seen brand new snowmobiles, drunks, the slaughter of hundreds of Moose for no reason, crates of guns being dragged across imaginary boundaries, violent confrontations between masked MWS members and the OPP, faux roadblocks and scores of contraband smoke shops on wheels being dragged around by dancing gas huffing juvenile delinquents. All set to the tune "Ball of confusion" by Love and Rockets.

What we did see was an antiquated lie. Canada doesn't love the noble savage, Canada wants the noble savage to die off. Unless of course, we can be quietly caged and dragged out to perform our dog and pony show, for profit or to show the world how nice Canada is to it's Native communities. What a farce.

My ceremony would have been much different, highlighting the growth in my community, how my community has contributed to Canadian society and how we as a people, despite the adversity we have been forced to struggle through, have achieved so much more, then just feather, leather and colourful costumes.

Doctors, lawyers, entrepreneurs, leaders in business, musicians, artists, and so much more.

But no, we were relegated to our past, a culture that has long since died a painful death, one that we should be as proud of, as we should try to distance ourselves from.

To me the opening ceremonies were a lie.

Last edited:

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Bear, The Olympic opening ceremony is a show . A show of what is iconic of Canada and Canadians , not a politically correct one , but one we are identified with . Just like the Americans are identified with cowboys .

Politics was not on the fore front of this show. Did you expect an updated show? Com 'on. It was entertainment plain and simple , not educational.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Bear, The Olympic opening ceremony is a show . A show of what is iconic of Canada and Canadians , not a politically correct one , but one we are identified with . Just like the Americans are identified with cowboys .

Politics was not on the fore front of this show. Did you expect an updated show? Com 'on. It was entertainment plain and simple , not educational.
That's true EB, but still as much a lie, as if I portrayed myself as I looked in pictures from the mid 90's in uniform, non?

The opening show, made it look as if the general consensus was that the whole of Canada embraced the very culture they highlighted.

The 4 honourary heads of state?

The costumes?

The dancing?

A lie!

This is not a political statement, as much as it is just a misrepresentation of fact. The portrayal of Natives in the opening ceremony, was not how we are viewed day to day, by both the Gov't and the general populace.

I'll liken it to a child abuser, who when in public appears to be a kind and gentle person with children.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I think there are bigger battles , and bigger nails to hit on other than what we have here in this thread op.
In lilihammer , did they have Vikings portrayed in the opening show?
Vikings are long gone yet it is very much associated with the Scandanavian countries.

Bear you need to hit elsewhere IMO .

Not that I am taking away what you have said , but it doesn't stick here with the Olympic Ceremonies.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I think there are bigger battles , and bigger nails to hit on other than what we have here in this thread op.
In lilihammer , did they have Vikings portrayed in the opening show?
Vikings are long gone yet it is very much associated with the Scandanavian countries.

Bear you need to hit elsewhere IMO .

Not that I am taking away what you have said , but it doesn't stick here with the Olympic Ceremonies.
I think it does EB, IMHO, I think Canada unfairly and unrealistically portrayed us a partners. Which we are most definitely not.

Vikings were the forefathers of Scandinavia, and their being embraced, was appropriated. We as a collective community, have not been embraced by the collective country.

Vikings were never subjugated, Vikings were never lied to, robbed and murdered.

This wasn't a show of Canada's historical figures, that I could live with. This was a dog and pony show. Pure and simple. We were dragged/lured out, and paraded with "Look at how cool we are with our "Injuns", see how they dance, aren't they pretty, aren't we a cool country".

That's how I saw it. Because today, we are all in the same boat we were in before the Olympics. Look in the threads on my peeps EB. People still haven't clue one what the real history is, yet that won't stop them from spouting off negatively and with great ignorance.

As a side note: There was a reason I waited until after the Olympics to start this thread by the way. Because I believe in the Olympic spirit, i did not want to detract from it in anyway while it was in progress.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I think it does EB, IMHO, I think Canada unfairly and unrealistically portrayed us a partners. Which we are most definitely not.

Vikings were the forefathers of Scandinavia, and their being embraced, was appropriated. We as a collective community, have not been embraced by the collective country.

This wasn't a show of Canada's historical figures, that I could live with. This was a dog and pony show. Pure and simple. We were dragged/lured out, and paraded with "Look at how cool we are with our "Injuns", see how they dance, aren't they pretty, aren't we a cool country".

That's how I saw it. Because today, we are all in the same boat we were in before the Olympics. Look in the threads on my peeps EB. People still haven't clue one what the real history is, yet that won't stop them from spouting off negatively and with great ignorance.

As a side note: There was a reason I waited until after the Olympics to start this thread by the way. Because I believe in the Olympic spirit, i did not want to detract from it in anyway while it was in progress.
Oh , I see your angle here.
I see just two problems about this. The media which they pick and choose to show what they do , and the people who don't bother to go beyond what the media shows.
We are a society of puppets .

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Oh , I see your angle here.
I see just two problems about this. The media which they pick and choose to show what they do , and the people who don't bother to go beyond what the media shows.
We are a society of puppets .
Agreed...

But in this case, the COC is the puppet master.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Not really in this case as it was a 'show'.
Just because something is a show, doesn't mean it can be a lie, especially in this case, where the purpose of the show, was to 'showcase' Canada's relationship with its Native partners. Which IMHO was a complete farce.
How would the ceremonies be more politcal correct or true ?
I'm not talking about political correctness, hell, I don't think I have a politically correct bone in my body.

My issue stems from the lie Canada told the world, in that we do not enjoy the status they portrayed in that "show". We are not partners, we are not a dog and pony show, we are a people still struggling to get what was promised us in treaties, that have been historically ignored, lest we be referring to the part of the treaty that benefits everyone else but us.
No one would see a show in that .
I agree. So they should have chosen a theme that was a better representation of Canadian culture. Because the one they chose, was an outright lie.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I believe coc consulted with the 4 host nations and they signed off on the ceremony.I think you are grasping at straws here.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
What i dont get is that the natives only bitch at whitemen but never pakis or the chinesse. My family moved here after the fact your people were on reserves, just like the majority of pakis in this country. But because im white you expect me to bend over backwards, come on ..... My family didnt move to this country to get pushed around by people blaming me for something my family never had a part in

Slim Chance

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2009

Ironic example; The Vikings were notorious for being the ones that did the robbing and murdering.

I mention this as there seems to be a disconnect between the "colonizers" (Brits and French mostly) that were the ones primarily responsible for the many actions you have identified.

But in this case, the COC is the puppet master.

Are you suggesting that the 4 First Nations that directly participated in the opening ceremonies had no say whatsoever in their role? I am left with the impression that they were forced by teh government under threat.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
In 1984 the opening ceremonies included 84 grand pianos. What could be more extravagant(ten thousand dollars each) and phony than that. We have to remember that it is only a show. Do the costumes and dances show the first nations as anything approaching the reality of today? No they don't. It is only a show. The Vancouver opening ceremonies were a very good show that most people enjoyed. In spite of all the flaming towers not standing up on cue and the rain, it was still a good show.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I'm sorry to say I was not at all impressed. I didn't catch the opening ceremonies, and only a bit of the closing ceremonies... but what I did catch wasn't that great. I'm not overly comfortable with the idea of tooting our own horn quite so brazenly... it seemed a bit over the top. What I saw had the same bad taste as the whole "Own the podium" campaign... it felt like someone hijacked my Canadian-ism and defiled it a bit. All that "Lookit us! Lookit Us!" ... ugh.

The hokiest of all were those canoes and ginormous beavers romping around the stage. I have to admit, I laughed out loud - literally - but not with them. I dunno, the whole Canada/BEAVER thang... it's funny ... on a couple different levels. WTH. Is that the best we could come up with? I read a review that said it was campy. That's exactly what I thought. We could have really done a class act with this. But we didn't.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I never saw any of the opening show but I have heard people talking about it and to date I have never heard anyone say they were happy with it. People agree that First Nations should be included but not to the degree and the showing that they were. I have no comment since I never saw it. I watched the entire closing ceremony and all of it was a spoof. I think it was set to show the world that they laugh at some of the things we do and we can laugh with them (because the things they laugh at such as the moose/beavers and canoes) are simply not much in terms of our heritage. Symbols, yes, but simply not a part of our everyday culture. William Shatner poked fun all the way through his speech in regard to us showing the world "how they think we live". It must have been quite a shock to a number of people to come here and see that we do not live in a frozen wasteland and as Bear says - we are not (all of us) sitting around skinning a deer. The dogsleds were not waiting outside to transport people either.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'm sorry to say I was not at all impressed. I didn't catch the opening ceremonies, and only a bit of the closing ceremonies... but what I did catch wasn't that great. I'm not overly comfortable with the idea of tooting our own horn quite so brazenly... it seemed a bit over the top. What I saw had the same bad taste as the whole "Own the podium" campaign... it felt like someone hijacked my Canadian-ism and defiled it a bit. All that "Lookit us! Lookit Us!" ... ugh.

The hokiest of all were those canoes and ginormous beavers romping around the stage. I have to admit, I laughed out loud - literally - but not with them. I dunno, the whole Canada/BEAVER thang... it's funny ... on a couple different levels. WTH. Is that the best we could come up with? I read a review that said it was campy. That's exactly what I thought. We could have really done a class act with this. But we didn't.

Hi Zan

It's too bad you didn't catch the opening ceremony. About the only part I didn't like was Nikki Yanofski torturing of our national anthem. It was unrecognisable . The show itself was an incredible light show. I was impressed from a technical standpoint as well as appreciating the difficulty putting on a show like this. It was worth watching. I understand we will be able to buy a dvd of the opening and closing shows. I will certainly buy a copy though I share your views on the Goddamn beaver
Cheers..

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

The Olmecs Were Related To Blacks Of The Mende Group Of West Africa

The Olmecs carved about twenty-two collosal stone heads in the southern parts of Mexico and their influence have been found in Guatemala and further south. Olmec type sculptures have also been found in parts of the U.S., (the Wa****aw Nation of Louisiana; HOTEP.ORG ), where another prehistoric Black nation (who still has members and land today) existed.
The Olmecs and Wa****aw, Black Californians, Jamassee, Califunami and other pre-columbian Blacks of the Americas were part of a prehistoric trade network that began in Africa and spread worldwide over 100,000 years ago and at various periods afterwards. According to the book, Susu Economics The History of Pan-African Trade, Commerce, Money and Wealth, these Blacks found in the Americas, as well as remnants of their ancient civilizations are not a myth or fairytale.
The ancient Blacks of the Americas are the missing pieces of a large puzzle that would be solved if many of today's writers, scientists, historians and archeologists were not as biased or "embarrassed," like the Mexican archeologists who found out without a doubt, that the Olmecs of Mexico were Black Africans and they introduced the first astronomical calendar to Mexico about 3,113 years Before Christ.
Not only is there an ancient Black African presence and contribution to the creation of civilization and culture in prehistoric and ancient America, but there also is such a presence and contribution in Mesopotamia (Nimrod a son of Kush developed the region, it is said), Sabea/Arabia, India, Cambodia, Southern China and Melanesia/South Pacific region.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
This is a post that I made at another place in response to a similar topic, I hope members will excuse the cross-post:

Chris said:
You’ve made many reasonable points, CDNBear.

The fact of the matter is that it is no longer possible for [I would dare to say] a majority of our aboriginal communities to function independently of Her Majesty’s Government for Canada, in regards to funding and respect for the law. We have seen what happens with what meager funding the Government of Canada is able to supply, and that is corruption, full-stop. Granting exclusive self-government to aboriginal communities would, I fear, be recorded in the history books as a greater travesty than our original encounters some centuries ago.

At least by showcasing the fabulous side of aboriginal cultures in our Opening Ceremonies of the XXI Olympic Winter Games, we’re able to start to shape an altogether better perception of aboriginal peoples. Perhaps that’s what you may consider social engineering, and I suppose it is—but it’s worth a shot if it means that we can improve the relationship between Canada’s indigenous people, and the rest of us. At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter what the United Nations says, or what arguments are brought before the Supreme Court of Canada: Events will be orchestrated behind the scenes in such a way that Canadian interests are always going to overshadow the interests of on-reserve aboriginal communities.

(Probably too honest of an opinion on this one.)