talloola
that's right, we expect our hockey players to be 'perfect',
well, human beings are not perfect, except for, um -----
no, I wouldn't dare, the list of impefections I would
receive back would be frightening.

lol

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

What the IIHF don't seem to realize is that Canada could have fielded at least one, maybe two more Olympic teams that would have been competitive in that field.

Thats a fact for sure. I am not big on NHL hockey but my brother seems to follow it and he said he doubts many of the Americans would have even made the Canadian squad. I bet Canada could have fielded three teams and possibly won all three medals.

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Thats a fact for sure. I am not big on NHL hockey but my brother seems to follow it and he said he doubts many of the Americans would have even made the Canadian squad. I bet Canada could have fielded three teams and possibly won all three medals.

Don't sell your team short... They had everything they needed to win. One hell of a game.

TenPenny

Oh, I think most of the US team would have made any Canadian team; they're pretty damn good players.

What I loved about the game was that it was hockey, it wasn't MMA mixed with hockey. They weren't out to smash and crash, there were good checks, but nobody did anything stupid, trying to end the careers of the good players. It was what good hockey really is - puck handling and skating, passing...that's hockey. I really wish the NHL would get to this level. It makes hockey fun to watch.

Mind you, I'm not impartial, because I have a daughter playing, and I like to see real hockey, not stupid goons trying to be stupid.

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Oh, I think most of the US team would have made any Canadian team; they're pretty damn good players.

What I loved about the game was that it was hockey, it wasn't MMA mixed with hockey. They weren't out to smash and crash, there were good checks, but nobody did anything stupid, trying to end the careers of the good players. It was what good hockey really is - puck handling and skating, passing...that's hockey. I really wish the NHL would get to this level. It makes hockey fun to watch.

Mind you, I'm not impartial, because I have a daughter playing, and I like to see real hockey, not stupid goons trying to be stupid.

As long as Bettman remains in charge, the NHL will never change. It is unfortunate, but the man has no concept of what the real fans want.
Yes, the Canada-US game was played like the game was intended to be played. There is no place for goons.

Kreskin

That actually happened at the 2008 world under-17 tournament on Vancouver Island. All the major hockey powers sent their top young junior prospect teams and Canada put three teams in (Eastern Canada, Ontario and Western Canada) and won gold silver and bronze.

Having said that, the US has really closed the gap over the last decade and many Team USA players are as good as anyone. The future looks very bright for US hockey. I see the US as being one of the big four who will compete and challenge at all levels.

talloola
The u.s. is doing just fine. They are much closer than
a few years back, they definitely have the population
to keep getting closer as well, however, canada is much
deeper, as Kreskin explained.
eg. Ryan Kesler of the canucks, was on the u.s. olympic
team, and would not have made the canadian team, and
those examples are still there, but getting fewer and
fewer, but canada could have dressed another team who
could have competed with the winning team.

Bar Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by HighballView Post

I'm a Hockey fan and I don't care who you supported in the USA/Canada Gold Medal game it was the best Hockey game I have ever seen. Both teams were really sharp and worked very hard.

What do you mean? Where were all the fights? Everyone knows that fights are a part of the game and greatly enhance the sport.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

What do you mean? Where were all the fights? Everyone knows that fights are a part of the game and greatly enhance the sport.

lol lol, we should all write to the ioc and insist that
they introduce fighting to olympic hockey, so that the
brainless who want to see the fighting might show up.

Kreskin
Remember that Flyers-Red Army game in 1975? What a gong show that was.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

Remember that Flyers-Red Army game in 1975? What a gong show that was.

I don't remember, guess I'm too young.

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

I don't remember, guess I'm too young.

It was a 'friendly' match at the Spectrum. I believe the Flyers won 4-1 but that was the Broadstreet Bullies team and they tried to turn the game in a street brawl. Midway through a period, after a number of Red Army players were mugged, the coach, Victor Tikonov, took his team off the ice and into the dressing room. About 10 or 15 minutes later they returned.

I'm sure the Russians were happy to get out of there alive.

#juan

It was a 'friendly' match at the Spectrum. I believe the Flyers won 4-1 but that was the Broadstreet Bullies team and they tried to turn the game in a street brawl. Midway through a period, after a number of Red Army players were mugged, the coach, Victor Tikonov, took his team off the ice and into the dressing room. About 10 or 15 minutes later they returned.

While the Russians were here they played the Habs and it was one of the best games I've seen even though it ended in a tie.

YouTube - 1975 Montreal Canadiens vs Soviet Red Army Hockey

Mowich

Oh for sure, talloola - Not!

One of the main reasons I enjoy Olympic and World hockey is because there are no fights. The games are won or lost by players who stick to the plan, play good clean hockey and show sportsmanship that is not on display in the NHL.

JLM

Well, you could count on having Don Cherry there for sure.

talloola

Now I remember, guess I got older overnight, as I do remember tikonov pulling his team off the ice.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Well, you could count on having Don Cherry there for sure.

that's for sure, I think someone must have punched
him a little too hard somewhere along the way.

wulfie68
I'm going to speak out in defense of the NHL here. I'm not going to say fighting is absolutely necessary but it does have a place and it would show up if this tournament was longer. Personally, I would much rather see a fight than some of the possibly career ending incidents of stickwork, and hits from behind. If we're honest, we should acknowledge that in the 10 games that these guys played, there wasn't as much time to build the hatred that you see in the 82 game NHL season. Some was there (like when Semin headhunted Boyle and Bloyle retaliated at the end of the Russian game) but nothing like what you see in a longer schedule. If you combined the sub-standard IIHF officiating (which generally is poorer the NHL's) with a longer season, you would see the nastiness... a lot of it. Hockey is a contact sport: its not ice dancing.

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by wulfie68View Post

I'm going to speak out in defense of the NHL here. I'm not going to say fighting is absolutely necessary but it does have a place and it would show up if this tournament was longer. Personally, I would much rather see a fight than some of the possibly career ending incidents of stickwork, and hits from behind. If we're honest, we should acknowledge that in the 10 games that these guys played, there wasn't as much time to build the hatred that you see in the 82 game NHL season. Some was there (like when Semin headhunted Boyle and Bloyle retaliated at the end of the Russian game) but nothing like what you see in a longer schedule. If you combined the sub-standard IIHF officiating (which generally is poorer the NHL's) with a longer season, you would see the nastiness... a lot of it. Hockey is a contact sport: its not ice dancing.

It is a contact sport, but it is not a boxing match...