Russian Olympic hockey cowards

#juan
I coached hockey for close to twenty years and what I saw was that the Russian lines were not balanced. What I mean is that it is not generally a good idea to have all your best players on one line. I would have put Ovetchkin, Malkin, and Kovalchuk(sp) on different lines except for powerplays. I was surprised how easy it was to check Ovetchkin. I thought he was gonna get a ton of goals, along with Malkin but he didn't.. The Russians were humiliated just like Canada would have been if they were beaten by a weaker team knocked out of the medals
(external - login to view)

bill barilko
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

I do think the Russian 2 line, breakaway pass style should be purged though.

It's an exciting play but maybe too easy enough to defend against.

EDIT-I saw the Russian women's team game against the Finns and was surprised how sluggish and unmotivated the Russians were, also a few players were definitely overweight.

The Finns were at first quite tentative but their textbook positional play meant they kept gaining while the Ruskies kept sinking.
Last edited by bill barilko; Mar 1st, 2010 at 02:32 PM..Reason: details

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

It's an exciting play but maybe too easy enough to defend against.

EDIT-I saw the Russian women's team game against the Finns and was surprised how sluggish and unmotivated the Russians were, also a few players were definitely overweight.

The Finns were at first quite tentative but their textbook positional play meant they kept gaining while the Ruskies kept sinking.

It is exciting to see, I'll give them that. The Russians seemed to have one game plan for all opponents regardless of skill level.

#juan
Here are some of the team they are sending over next year:

www.holytaco.com/25-sexy-snow-bunnies (external - login to view)

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

Well, the hockey team might have played with a little more determination knowing they would be going to the gulag courtesy of Stalin if they ended up in the loss column.

I might be wrong, but did Russia even have a team in the '36 olympics? I thought Great Britain actually won the gold, and Canada silver.

#juan
This is what I was looking for:

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by RisusView Post

I might be wrong, but did Russia even have a team in the '36 olympics? I thought Great Britain actually won the gold, and Canada silver.

I haven't a clue to be honest, just having a little fun with a what would Stalin do?

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

This is what I was looking for:

LMAO

Why?

Is that a Wussian Wabbit?

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

LMAO

Why?

LOL, but I think a snow bunny...

#juan

LMAO

Why?

This is more of a Russian snow bunny:

EagleSmack
Wow

The Russians do have some beautiful women and thats for sure. Gone are the days of the "Big Babushkas".

Johnnny

LMAO

Why?

thats a house rabbit, a cute one tooo

Kreskin

Wow

The Russians do have some beautiful women and thats for sure. Gone are the days of the "Big Babushkas".

That's when they were all named Olga.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

That's when they were all named Olga.

I saw a picture of a Russian named Olga and she sure didn't look like a traditional Olga. But I do get what you mean Kresk.

Risus
From CBC.ca:

In the latest International Ice Hockey Federation world rankings that were tabulated after the Vancouver Olympics, Canada moved back to No. 1 from the second spot. The rest of the top 20 is as follows: 2. Russia; 3. Finland; 4. Sweden; 5. United States; 6. Czech Republic; 7. Slovakia; 8. Switzerland; 9. Belarus; 10. Latvia; 11. Norway; 12. Germany; 13. Denmark; 14. Austria; 15. Italy; 16. France; 17. Ukraine; 18. Slovenia; 19. Kazakhstan; 20. Hungary.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by RisusView Post

From CBC.ca:

In the latest International Ice Hockey Federation world rankings that were tabulated after the Vancouver Olympics, Canada moved back to No. 1 from the second spot. The rest of the top 20 is as follows: 2. Russia; 3. Finland; 4. Sweden; 5. United States; 6. Czech Republic; 7. Slovakia; 8. Switzerland; 9. Belarus; 10. Latvia; 11. Norway; 12. Germany; 13. Denmark; 14. Austria; 15. Italy; 16. France; 17. Ukraine; 18. Slovenia; 19. Kazakhstan; 20. Hungary.

Interesting that Russia is in second place since they lost to 7th place Slovakia and the United States, who lost only to Canada are relegated to 5th place.

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Interesting that Russia is in second place since they lost to 7th place Slovakia and the United States, who lost only to Canada are relegated to 5th place.

Yeah, I have no idea how they arrive at their rankings.