What should be the International Olympic Committee's official language policy?

View Poll Results: What should be the IOC's official language policy?
French, English, and the local or national language, as is now the case. 16 39.02%
The local or national language only. 5 12.20%
The national and local indigenous languages. 0 0%
The six official languages of the UN plus the local or national language if different. 1 2.44%
An international auxiliary language like Esperanto plus the dominant local language. 14 34.15%
Other answer. 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Machjo
Vote as you like.

lone wolf
There is too much politics getting into the Olympics now....

When you are a guest in someone's home, what language does one speak?

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

There is too much politics getting into the Olympics now....

When you are a guest in someone's home, what language does one speak?

Feel free to vote.

Kreskin
It should be whatever they want it to be. They aren't a government.

Machjo
I started this poll as a spin-off from another thread complaining that French was given predominance over English at the Olympic Opening Ceremony, implying that the policy was likely one decided by the Canadian Federal government when in fact our government likely had little to nothing to do with it. This was likely the result of a long-standing policy of the modern Olympics of using French as its First official language, along with English as its second, both alongside the local or national language as might be appropriate if it is different from either of the official languages of the Olympic games.

Strangely enough, I'd never heard any Chinese complain that the Beijing Olympics had to be conducted in three languages. In fact, Beijingers were making great efforts in learning basic English as a sing of their welcoming spirit. And what do we do when French comes before English?Instead of bing thankful for the fact that we never need interpretation at any of the Olympic games around the world (which is not the case for most of the world's citizens), we bitch that our language is not numero uno. Britannnia still rules in the spirits of some I see.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

It should be whatever they want it to be. They aren't a government.

That's a reasonable answer too. And if some don't like it, they're free to boycott the Olympics.

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

That's a reasonable answer too. And if some don't like it, they're free to boycott the Olympics.

Absolutely. If someone doesn't like their policy then they shouldn't attempt to host the games.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

Absolutely. If someone doesn't like their policy then they shouldn't attempt to host the games.

Hey, I likes that. You just keep coming up with ever better answers.

TenPenny
I assumed the first would be French, as the IOC is based in France, isn't it?

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

I assumed the first would be French, as the IOC is based in France, isn't it?

Lausanne, Switzerland. But that's a French-speaking city too.

Machjo
A simple solution would be to say that the Canadian government should not fund the Olympics at all. That way, it would be a purely private sector matter, and then they could speak Klingon if they wish and it would be none of our business.

Mowich
As far as hosting the Olympics, the IOC should sit down and seriously talk about having a single venue for the summer Olympics and the same for the winter sports. It is so costly to hold these games that some countries will never be able to host them.

Why not hold a vote on what country/ies would be the best places to build a permanent Olympic site(s) - one for winter, one for summer.

All the countries of the world could contribute to the cost of construction and then in holding the games.

countryboy
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

As far as hosting the Olympics, the IOC should sit down and seriously talk about having a single venue for the summer Olympics and the same for the winter sports. It is so costly to hold these games that some countries will never be able to host them.

Why not hold a vote on what country/ies would be the best places to build a permanent Olympic site(s) - one for winter, one for summer.

All the countries of the world could contribute to the cost of construction and then in holding the games.

Greece would be my choice for the summer games. State of the art facilities would only have to be built once. A winter one? Canada, of course!

Risus
The IOC language policy doesn't really make a difference, since its the local olympic committee that calls the shots.

Machjo

Again, if the government just stops funding the Olympics, as it should, then the IOC could do what it wants. Seeing that this would mean that the IOC would have less money, what you propose is likely what they'd do anyway.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by countryboyView Post

Greece would be my choice for the summer games. State of the art facilities would only have to be built once. A winter one? Canada, of course!

Why 'of course'? Russia, Sweden, Argentina? Heck, even Peru. Though Peru is tropical, it does have elevated areas with permanent snow caps. I think Lebanon has such an environment too. Canada is far from the only country capable of hosting Winter Olympics.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by RisusView Post

The IOC language policy doesn't really make a difference, since its the local olympic committee that calls the shots.

Perhaps. But it still has to consider that many of the spectators are from around the world, and that owing to tradition, they'd essentially assume an expect both French and English to be provided side by side with the local language if it is different.

Hazmart

I think that having the Olympics in only one location would take away something from them. Spotlighting a country I think is a large part of the excitement.
It is costly but a lot of the venues will be in use for many years and I don't doubt that there is a financial benefit to the host country from all these travelers!

Mowich

Why 'of course'? Russia, Sweden, Argentina? Heck, even Peru. Though Peru is tropical, it does have elevated areas with permanent snow caps. I think Lebanon has such an environment too. Canada is far from the only country capable of hosting Winter Olympics.

I agree that there are many countries capable of hosting the games - winter or summer. The idea is that there would be permanent facilities that could be shared by all countries of the world thus cutting the intial costs of hosting the games.

Machjo

I agree that there are many countries capable of hosting the games - winter or summer. The idea is that there would be permanent facilities that could be shared by all countries of the world thus cutting the intial costs of hosting the games.

Again, if the games were left completely to the private sector, this would likely occur naturally anyway. Obviously it would not be for any government to decide if it's not providing funding. But cutting off government funding would likely automatically cause it to choose a permanent location anyway, though of course that would be a decision for the IOC to make.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by HazmartView Post

I think that having the Olympics in only one location would take away something from them. Spotlighting a country I think is a large part of the excitement.
It is costly but a lot of the venues will be in use for many years and I don't doubt that there is a financial benefit to the host country from all these travelers!

Sure it would take something away from them... costs.

Montreal just paid off its Olympic debt recently after many decades.

Machjo
And as for highlighting a country, there are plenty of reasons to visit Canada besides the Olympics anyway.

Nuggler
Urdu.

Spoken by at least a few hundred people in Canada. Should be made one the official
languages.

Risus

Sure it would take something away from them... costs.

Montreal just paid off its Olympic debt recently after many decades.

But there was a lot of corruption and mismanagement there.

lone wolf
The Olympics can no more have a deficit than a man can have a baby. I'm still waiting for all these pregnant guys

L Gilbert

A simple solution would be to say that the Canadian government should not fund the Olympics at all. That way, it would be a purely private sector matter, and then they could speak Klingon if they wish and it would be none of our business.

Exactly.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

The Olympics can no more have a deficit than a man can have a baby. I'm still waiting for all these pregnant guys

Right, it's the gov'ts that run the hosting countries that end up with the deficits.

earth_as_one
I vote for Na'vi.

gopher
whatever choice the IOC makes ...

Johnnny
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

I vote for Na'vi.

i had to google that