Yours for £2.5 million: A castle once owned by Henry VIII

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
HOUSE-HUNTERS looking for a piece of history can get their hands on one of Henry VIII's castles - for £2.5m.

Grade I listed Devizes Castle in Wiltshire was owned by England's monarchs for about 500 years and was visited by King John and Edward I, as well as being owned by each of Henry VIII's wives.

The original medieval castle was destroyed by Parliamentarians after the English Civil War and the current private home was created in the 1840s.

FIT FOR A KING? Castle built to replace historic home given by Henry VIII to all of his six wives goes on sale for £2.5million

Devizes Castle in Wiltshire has nine bedrooms, five bathrooms and a stunning array of eye-catching period features

By Dan Hall
30th November 2018
The Sun

HOUSE-HUNTERS looking for a piece of history can get their hands on one of Henry VIII's castles - for £2.5m.

Grade I listed Devizes Castle in Wiltshire was owned by England's monarchs for about 500 years and was visited by King John and Edward I, as well as being owned by each of Henry VIII's wives.

Devizes Castle in Wiltshire is now on the market for £2.5million

The original medieval castle was destroyed by Parliamentarians after the English Civil War and the current private home was created in the 1840s.

But the grand property still has lots of period features, such as turrets, stone mullioned windows, impressive fireplaces and oak floors.

The castle is divided into two homes and the principal part is on the market with estate agents Savills.

Devizes Castle is steeped in history and dates as far back as 1080 when a motte-and-bailey castle was built by the Bishop of Salisbury.

The incredible home's history dates back to the 11th century

A modern kitchen is fitted inside the ancient walls, which were once besieged by soldiers in the English Civil War

Castellations surround the lush gardens of Devizes Castle

The home up for sale is the larger part of the castle, which is currently split into two properties

It features stone mullioned windows and beautiful views of the surrounding area

That castle burnt down and was rebuilt in stone during King Henry I's reign and became a popular residence for the monarchy - described as "the most gorgeous in Christendom".

It was later occupied by Royalist troops during the English Civil War in the 1640s and besieged by Parliamentarian soldiers.

But after the war, the castle was dismantled following a Parliamentary Order and all that remains is the original mound, the outline of the moat and traces of the foundations of the great hall.

The striking existing castellated property was built 200 years later by the Leach family in a Victorian Gothic style.

The private home was made in the 1840s when it was built in the Victorian Gothic style

A dining room fit for a banquet

The estate agents describe the castle's labyrinthine passageways and tower bedrooms as 'very magical'

Spectacular panoramic views from the castle of the Wiltshire countryside where Devizes Castle is nestled

Nearby market town Devizes formed around the castle's original limits

As well as its obvious historic appeal, the property sellers believe it's great for entertaining

It was even used in the Second World War as an Italian POW camp.

The property is spread over five storeys, with most of the accommodation on the ground, first and second floors, but it also has a cellar and two tower rooms on the third floor.

It offers 9,117 sq ft of accommodation with an entrance hall, inner hall, kitchen/breakfast room, family room, dining room, library, study, long gallery, drawing room, fernery, nine bedrooms and five bathrooms.

The house is surrounded by beautiful gardens and offers seclusion with mature trees at the front and the castle's ramparts at the back.

It sits on the edge of the picturesque market town of Devizes, which formed around the original castle's outskirts.

George Nares from Savills said: "The castle is very imposing and impressive and this property is the principle part. It's just the South Tower that is separate.

"Naturally it will appeal to a history lover, but I think it will also have to be someone quite fun."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7867956/henry-viii-castle-nine-bedrooms-five-bathrooms-sale/