Your favourite food(s)

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
We all have some favourite things we like to eat...could be that special snack, sandwich, lunch dish, or full-bore dinner with all the trimmings. (I have more than one as I've always been a bit of a foodie)

Care to share that special food thing or things that you just love? It might be a lot of fun to see what foodies across the country are 'hooked on.'

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
brie roasted with pine nuts and dried cranberries, served with my homemade rosemary and raisin crisps.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
brie roasted with pine nuts and dried cranberries, served with my homemade rosemary and raisin crisps.

Sounds sinfully great. And, the homemade rosemary and raisin crisps sound mysteriously delicious! But, no wine with it?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Sounds sinfully great. And, the homemade rosemary and raisin crisps sound mysteriously delicious! But, no wine with it?

Red wine with EVERYthing. lol. Carmenere or primitivos especially. Yummers.

Rosemary and raisin crisps, you can find a recipe for if you just Google. ;-)

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Red wine with EVERYthing. lol. Carmenere or primitivos especially. Yummers.

Rosemary and raisin crisps, you can find a recipe for if you just Google. ;-)

Primitivos...makes that experience complete! Will Google for it and thanks for the tip. (Getting hungry here...)

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
My favorite food is the edible type. I love native Canadian, Chinese, Japanese, Greek, fish n chips English style, Russian, Spanish, roast beast with Yorkie turnovers, Italian, German, Ukrainian, Polish, Mexican, pastrami on rye, corned beef on rye, pizza, soups, dukunus, pretty much any kind of fish, tamales, belijun, etc. :D It's pretty much a see-food diet.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Years ago, I was served a simple dessert that I just can't forget...it was a fresh-made green apple ice cream with a shot of chilled B & B poured over top. Simple but fantastic. Have tried to duplicate it many times but it's just not the same...

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
My favorite food is the edible type. I love native Canadian, Chinese, Japanese, Greek, fish n chips English style, Russian, Spanish, roast beast with Yorkie turnovers, Italian, German, Ukrainian, Polish, Mexican, pastrami on rye, corned beef on rye, pizza, soups, dukunus, pretty much any kind of fish, tamales, belijun, etc. :D It's pretty much a see-food diet.

Oooh...a lady after me own heart! OK then, how about naming a favourite...um...MEXICAN dish? (Or more than one if you like...)

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Oooh...a lady after me own heart! OK then, how about naming a favourite...um...MEXICAN dish? (Or more than one if you like...)
Mexican rice is a fave. Preferable with banana pepper or cayenne rather than jalapeno (jalapeno is all heat, no flavor, IMO). Burritos are a fave and I like pretty much any burrito innards. Enchiladas are pretty tasty. Spiced baked spuds with crema is awesome.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
The blueberry-peach-raspberry pies you can buy at some grocery stores....

Never tried one with raspberry in it but sounds good. I have a friend who bakes pies and sells them at farmers markets...they're the real deal, right down to the lard in the pie crust, rendered from her neighbor's pasture raised pigs. Her's have peach and blueberry in them, but I'll have to "suggest" she try adding some raspberries too...yum.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Mexican rice is a fave. Preferable with banana pepper or cayenne rather than jalapeno (jalapeno is all heat, no flavor, IMO). Burritos are a fave and I like pretty much any burrito innards. Enchiladas are pretty tasty. Spiced baked spuds with crema is awesome.

That all sounds yum-yum...spiced bakes spuds with 'crema'...can you tell me a bit more about that one? Not familiar with it...

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Never tried one with raspberry in it but sounds good. I have a friend who bakes pies and sells them at farmers markets...they're the real deal, right down to the lard in the pie crust, rendered from her neighbor's pasture raised pigs. Her's have peach and blueberry in them, but I'll have to "suggest" she try adding some raspberries too...yum.

My mother's cottage has the front lawn half in blueberries...I remember one fine summer day, spent there with my parents, my mother picked berries and baked pies, and I think between the 3 of us, we ate 4 whole blueberry pies that day.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
yea guys raspberries are where its at :)

also i like anything that involves rye bread, especially fish meat salted down with coarse salt and dill

Gawd, I haven't had dinner yet and now my head is swimming with food fantasies! Hey Johnny...rye bread is one of my "go to" staples too. I've found there are many different styles and versions out there too...generally speaking, do you like with or without caraway seeds? (Seems one either likes 'em or hates em...I tend to like them).

(Jeez, this is almost as good as "talkin' dirty!" Almost.) :lol:

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
My mother's cottage has the front lawn half in blueberries...I remember one fine summer day, spent there with my parents, my mother picked berries and baked pies, and I think between the 3 of us, we ate 4 whole blueberry pies that day.

Mm...talk about a beautifully stained face! We only get Saskatoons up here in the BC Interior, but I prefer blueberries. Have to 'import' them from the Fraser Valley. Boy, that is one healthy treat though...lotsa' antioxidants in them, and they're mighty tasty...If I had your mother's property, I'd likely be lookin' to fix the other half of the lawn! :lol:

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Hi. My name is Tracy and I'm a see food lover too. Especially sugary goo carmel, chocolate, cheese cake, chocolate, melted cheese in greasy bread stuff. Not big on meat though. :lol:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
That all sounds yum-yum...spiced bakes spuds with 'crema'...can you tell me a bit more about that one? Not familiar with it...
The spuds I had were spiced with flakes of pepper, garlic, and onions and served with crema (CRAY ma is the pronunciation I heard) and here's a couple recipes for it:

Crema I
This version is particularly good with spicy dishes.

• 1 C Whipping cream
  • 2 T Cultured buttermilk (2% or 4%)
Gently stir together the whipping cream and buttermilk in a small non-reactive bowl. Loosely cover the bowl, and allow it to sit at room temperature between 8 and 24 hours until thickened and tangy. Stir well, cover and refrigerate. Crema will keep for at least one week. Makes just over 1 cup. A word of caution: This is not the time to try out the vinegar/milk buttermilk substitution. If you don't have any buttermilk in the house, I'm afraid you're just going to have to make trip to the store.
Crema II
A bit more pourable, this version is excellent with fresh fruit, your favorite poundcake, and fruit pies and cobblers.

• 1 C Whipping cream
  • 1 C Sour cream
Again, gently stir together the whipping cream and sour cream in a small non-reactive bowl. Cover the bowl, and allow it to sit at room temperature for 4 to 5 hours until thickened and tangy. Stir well, cover and refrigerate. Makes 2 cups.