Writers Block? Or Something Else?

MissAnnika

Electoral Member
Jun 30, 2008
Ohau, Hawaii
I'm in the middle of writing my first book. I've been working on it for a year now, but I've been having a typical problem for anyone who has ever had to write something, writers block, sound familiar? But, I'm only experiencing this issue during the daylight hours. As soon as the sun has set however, then my metaphoric ball starts rolling. Is it strange or what?

Don't get me wrong though, this isn't a complaint more like a "does anyone know what is going on? Have a name for it?" or "are there others out there experiencing or have experienced the same?"

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It sounds like the circadian rhythm of your body simply lets your creative juices flow more at night. It's pretty common to have a pattern like that to some of our mental processes. Take the afternoon dip in energy that leaves many wanting a nap, for example.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
As soon as the sun has set however, then my metaphoric ball starts rolling. Is it strange or what?

MissAnika,

Several things come to mind. During the daytime there is too much distraction. Your mind will constantly be looking for something else to do. We are also bombarded with the psychic energy of all those around us (if you are in a city, that could be considerable) and can make clear thought near impossible. At night that energy subsides either because most people are asleep or vegging out by the idiot box.
I just published my latest book and now I can sleep at night. For over a year my sleep patterns were all screwed up. Just go with it and know that daytime writing is not going to work, Rest and nap a lot during daylight hours and be prepared to be up most of the night.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Will you be giving out any autographed copies when you are finished?;-)

What is the book about?:smile:

MissAnnika

Electoral Member
Jun 30, 2008
Ohau, Hawaii
aww thanks shadowsiv, that's encouraging.
sure i'll give out free autographs to all my friends so i'll b sure to do a book signing in Canada
i dont want to give away anything but i'll say that it's a fiction with a lot of other stuff too like historic, murder, war, mystery, romance, adventure. i still got a ways to go though so it might b a while :read2:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
aww thanks shadowsiv, that's encouraging.
sure i'll give out free autographs to all my friends so i'll b sure to do a book signing in Canada
i dont want to give away anything but i'll say that it's a fiction with a lot of other stuff too like historic, murder, war, mystery, romance, adventure. i still got a ways to go though so it might b a while :read2:

Take your time, Annika. It is better to take longer and perfect it rather than rush it and not be satisfied. This is your first book, so I am sure you want it to be as good as possible.:smile:

Just let me know when you're going to do that book signing.;-):cool:

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Well, it's certainly evidence isn't it? ;-)

I wonder if she weighs the same as a duck?

oh wait... that's witches...