World's oldest man says he has no special secrets as he turns 112

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
2240406-world-oldest-man-wm-1159a-f475f0.jpg

The world's oldest living man has declared he has no "special secrets" to pass on about his longevity as he celebrated turning 112.

John Tinniswood, who was born in Liverpool on 26 August 1912, told the Guinness World Records he had "no idea at all" why he had lived so long.

The lifelong Liverpool fan, who lives at a care home in Southport, became the world’s oldest living man in April when 114-year-old Juan Vicente Pérez Mora died.

He said he had been "quite active as a youngster" and did "a lot of walking", but believed he was "no different" to anyone else, adding: "You either live long or you live short and you can’t do much about it."

Mr Tinniswood, who was born the year the Titanic sank, said he would be taking turning 112 "in my stride like anything else".

Read more: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy8xvepqvn6o

1912, the year John was born:

"Unsinkable" British ocean liner the Titanic sank on her maiden voyage;

King George V was on the Throne and Herbert Asquith was Prime Minister;

A British team led by Robert Falcon Scott discovered that Roald Amundsen and his men had beaten them to the South Pole ("I am just going outside and may be some time");

Denys Wilson becomes the first person to fly across the Irish Sea;

The Royal Flying Corps is founded. In 1918, towards the end of World War I, it would become the RAF, with 3300 aircraft, the largest airforce in the world.

Last edited: