Woo hooooo great day!!!!

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Well, sometimes you have to beat them at their own game 8)

An environmental group has bought the trophy hunting rights in one of the most valuable guide outfitting territories in B.C. – ending the shooting of bears and wolves in a 20,000-square-kilometre area of B.C.'s Central Coast by foreign hunters.

The Raincoast Conservation Society spent $1.35 million to buy out Bella Coola Guide Outfitters, which had the exclusive trophy hunting rights in the area known as the Great Bear Rainforest.

http://www.cbc.ca/bc/story/bc_bear-hunt20051213.html

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Looks like a good plan.

I can't imagine that you can hunt "spirit bears" in BC can you?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
That's right, Pea. Money talks.

I'm sure that conservation is an issue we can mostly agree on.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
peapod wrote:
Hunting of kermode bears in B.C. is banned jay. The spirit bear is a kermode, a sub species of the black bear.

It's funny, when I look at that bear, I see the heavy body and hump of the Grizzley. The broad head is also Grizzley-like. I have read elsewhere that they are related to the black bear. This is the first good at look at them I've had.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Where you getting all those avatars ocean 8) ..It does kind of resemble a grizz juan...cept if you ever saw a grizz, you would think different 8O 8O and than run like hell :p I saw a few in the kootenays...off...over there 8O 8O Wooo hoooooooo 8O

Kitasoo legend says that Raven

The Creator, went among the bears and turned every tenth bear white to serve as a reminder of a time when the Earth's great glaciers covered the landscape.

In the beginning of time, the world was white with ice & snow. Then the Raven came from heaven and made the world green, as it is today. But he wanted to make something to remind himself of the beginning and its whiteness. So on this Island, this special piece of paradise, he went among the black bears and every tenth one he made white. That way he could remember the world as it was. Then the Raven issued a decree: "The white bears would live here forever in peace

Anyhos, this is a great website about the spirit bear

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/ghostbear/html/intro.html

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Woo hooooo great day!

Well Grizzlies (or any other bear) should not of been allowed to be shot for sport anyways. ie: rugs and mounts. I heard Grizzlies are bad eating anyways.

But this buy out won't apply to non guided Resident hunters for Grizzlies anyways. If one gets a tag.

I would never shoot a grizzly anyways, too few of them and like I say, I only shoot if I am going to eat it.

I do not mind shooting the odd black bear for the freezer but black bears along the coast are "fishy" so they are no good to eat anyways. Too many people just shoot bears for the rugs or mounts, they are suppose to take meat, but reality is they do not.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
How does one obtain "the exclusive trophy hunting rights in the area known as the Great Bear Rainforest" anyway????