Wildrose Alliance Party is it a new fad ?

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
So the Wildrose Alliance Party is gaining popularity in Alberta. This could be great news for many smaller parties in Canada hoping to see a gain in popularity.. This could even affect Federal politics and see the increase in fringe party popularity such as the Greens or some are even calling for a Federal Wildrose Alliance Party..

Two legislature members from Alberta's governing Progressive Conservatives are defecting to the Wildrose Alliance, a fledgling political party gathering momentum in the province.

Calgary-Fish Creek MLA Heather Forsyth and Airdrie-Chestermere MLA Rob Anderson announced the move Monday morning at a Wildrose Alliance news conference.

"Under Premier [Ed] Stelmach, this government has lost its way. And to watch what has happened is nothing more than wrong, and I simply could not stand by and be silent anymore," Forsyth said in an emotional speech.

"This is a decision I have not taken lightly. My first priority has always been, and will continue to be, the people who put me here — the amazing people of Calgary-Fish Creek."

Anderson, a relative newcomer to the legislature, described the political process as undemocratic, saying Stelmach, a few loyal cabinet ministers, and his trusted advisers run the show.

"Our system of government has become entirely dysfunctional and it's not something I can continue to be a part of," Anderson said. "I believe that defending poor public policy that has been developed by a small band of out-of-touch government appointees and insiders would be a poor investment of my life and taxpayers' money."

Forsyth, a former cabinet minister, has represented her riding since 1993 and has been a member of the Progressive Conservative party for 25 years. Anderson was first elected in 2008.

After the defectors' press conference, an Alberta cabinet minister defended Stelmach.

CBC News - Politics - 2 Alberta MLAs join upstart Wildrose party

weaselwords

Electoral Member
Nov 10, 2009
salisbury's tavern
Wild Rose isn't a fad, they'll form the next provincial government as the majority party. Albertans have always been quick to adopt a new party & their policies just look at history the United Farmers of Alberta, Social Ceadit (Ernest Manning's long seving govt) & at the federal level Reform & Canadian Alliance. Albertans don't change horses in midstream often but when they do it lasts a long time.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Well, whatever Albertans choose, I wish them better luck than we've had so far. People are too mired in the sewage of party loyalty in BC to do something of benefit for BC.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Wild Rose Party comes across as an extreme right wing party, similar to Reform or Alliance.

Maybe they will form the next government in Alberta, I don’t know. I suppose anything is possible in Alberta. However, if they run candidates federally and take substantial number of seats away from Conservatives in Alberta, that may relegate Conservatives to opposition for another 13 years.

An extremist party cannot form the federal government, as Reform and Alliance learned the hard way. After Harper worked unceasingly to portray a moderate image, after he unequivocally promised not to use Notwithstanding Clause to stop gay marriage. Ontario grudgingly gave him the minority government.

So if Wild Rose Party takes MPs away from Conservative party, that will lead both Wild Rose and Conservative parties to sit in the opposition for the next several elections. Until the two merge, form a centre right party, dispel the fears in Ontario and Quebec, convince them that they are not really extremists, then they will be elected to power federally.

Until another party challenges the new centre right party from the right and the whole madness starts over again. But the fact is, no matter how you cut it; a party of the true right has very little appeal in Ontario and Québec, and as such, has no hope of forming the government.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
The Socred moved to the PCs
The PCs are moving to the Wildrose.
It's not a change in ideology, it is simply a pretense of change.
Democracy is a rare concept in AB

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
It isn't much different in BC except our right wing moved left (at least in appearance) to gain acceptability. The ruse worked and people still think they are voting Liberal. Too much brain numbing TV I guess.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
It isn't much different in BC except our right wing moved left (at least in appearance) to gain acceptability. The ruse worked and people still think they are voting Liberal. Too much brain numbing TV I guess.

I think the numbing is from ill-prepared sushi.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
And Danielle Smith is Hot!!!!!!

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Wild Rose Party comes across as an extreme right wing party, similar to Reform or Alliance.

Maybe they will form the next government in Alberta, I don’t know. I suppose anything is possible in Alberta. However, if they run candidates federally and take substantial number of seats away from Conservatives in Alberta, that may relegate Conservatives to opposition for another 13 years.

An extremist party cannot form the federal government, as Reform and Alliance learned the hard way. After Harper worked unceasingly to portray a moderate image, after he unequivocally promised not to use Notwithstanding Clause to stop gay marriage. Ontario grudgingly gave him the minority government.

So if Wild Rose Party takes MPs away from Conservative party, that will lead both Wild Rose and Conservative parties to sit in the opposition for the next several elections. Until the two merge, form a centre right party, dispel the fears in Ontario and Quebec, convince them that they are not really extremists, then they will be elected to power federally.

Until another party challenges the new centre right party from the right and the whole madness starts over again. But the fact is, no matter how you cut it; a party of the true right has very little appeal in Ontario and Québec, and as such, has no hope of forming the government.

Have you forgotten the Conman's Spent Revolution? The fossils are still out here looking for ways to own all the money

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC

I have to agree Spade.. Little changes but the name and the "perception" and as you say not ideology that the party should follow new guidelines..

In the Reform party it was No Pensions, No Free Haircuts and no Official Opposition House until they got elected..

I have no issue with the right redefining itself but let it be done at face value and not just for cheap votes.. And I would have issues with the left if they did the same..

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
If they resigned their seats and ran under the Wildrose banner, that's one thing. But to move to save your seat is another.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC

I understand the first 3, but I don't get the 4th one. More info.?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I understand the first 3, but I don't get the 4th one. More info.?

That one is easy to understand, countryboy. Alberta is practically a one party state. Alberta is the only province in the country where people simply shut their eyes and vote for the same party again and again, no matter how well or how terribly they govern.

Most provinces have had governments of two different parties in recent memory (Ontario has had Lib, Con and NDP governments), the only exception is Alberta.

Technically speaking Alberta is a democracy, of course. But people there don’t behave like it is a democracy. They seem to prefer to live in a one party state.

Hence Spade’s comment, that democracy is a rare concept in Alberta. Indeed, that is why I said, anything is possible in Alberta. Albertans may well decide to switch en masse to Wild Rose Party and keep them in power for the next 50 years.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
That one is easy to understand, countryboy. Alberta is practically a one party state. Alberta is the only province in the country where people simply shut their eyes and vote for the same party again and again, no matter how well or how terribly they govern.

Most provinces have had governments of two different parties in recent memory (Ontario has had Lib, Con and NDP governments), the only exception is Alberta.

Technically speaking Alberta is a democracy, of course. But people there don’t behave like it is a democracy. They seem to prefer to live in a one party state.

Hence Spade’s comment, that democracy is a rare concept in Alberta. Indeed, that is why I said, anything is possible in Alberta. Albertans may well decide to switch en masse to Wild Rose Party and keep them in power for the next 50 years.

Yep, and they have the Charter to allow them to vote any way they please.
(I know you don't agree with them, but that's democracy for you...can't always have your own way)

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C

What a bunch of crap!
People tend to vote for the governing party when things are going well here and history proves me right.
The reform party started in Alberta so you can allmost say we are responsible for a lot of people in the federal government right now.
Hows that for shutting our eyes?
You might want to check out the western seperatist's and where the roots of the reform party started,it started in Red Deer under a different name and everyone involved put their differences aside to focus on one party,the radicals stayed behind with the seperatist/Alberta first people and some of the more sane ones joined reform.

Alberta is in a major economic downturn right now,thats why people are taking action again.
It's a pretty simple concept,when everyones working no one wants to rock the boat,how do you think Ralph got re elected?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
The reform party started in Alberta so you can allmost say we are responsible for a lot of people in the federal government right now.
Hows that for shutting our eyes?

Reform Party was composed mostly of right wingers, kakato. That is why it did not get anywhere near to forming the government federally. It is only when Harper moved the conservative party towards the center that they became competitive in Ontario and Quebec.

The right wingers from Reform Party, who are in the cabinet today (like disgraced Stockwell Day) are kept strictly under wraps by Harper. While the Conservative party today has many elements of Reform Party, Harper has kept the extremist tendencies of Reform strictly under wraps.

Remember the Alliance plank of holding referendums on just about everything? Why, they would have held a referendum as to whether Canadians should be permitted to eat hotdogs with or without relish (provided somebody collected 200,000 signatures). Also remember the starry eyed Senate reform proposed by the Alliance Party (elected, effective, equal)? Remember opposition to gay marriage? Opposition to abortion? Randy White's promise to use the Notwithstanding Clause every time Supreme Court overruled the Conservative government?

All gone, Harper has moved the party to the center. It is no credit to Reform party that conservatives are in power today. If it had not been for Reform Party and Alliance, Conservatives probably would have been in power before this. Whoever heard of the same party (i.e. Liberals) governing for 13 years (except of course in Alberta)?

Last edited: