Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Harper's getting it from all sides. :lol:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
The leaders of the 4 liberal parties are pretty ignorant, not giving Harper a chance to reply, shouting over what he is saying. That certainly isn't impressive. The moderator has lost control a few times.

Last edited:

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Yes, it would be nice to see the 5 best candidates we can come up with to represent us as leaders behave so rudely...
that said, I'm glad they're all holding Harper accountable.

Elizabeth May is impressing the heck out of me. She's one informed lady. I really like her forward thinking and forthright manner.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I'm actually really impressed with Ms. May. I support many of the Green Party's policies (obvious not the moratorium on oil sands products), and I'll be happy if she can win her seat this time around.

I have to say that as an Albertan, I fully support a moratorium on oil sands developments. I'm one of the many average Albertans that has not benefited in any way from the boom - certainly not financially nor environmentally. Quite the opposite.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I have to say that as an Albertan, I fully support a moratorium on oil sands developments. I'm one of the many average Albertans that has not benefited in any way from the boom - certainly not financially nor environmentally. Quite the opposite.
Do that and when the oil supplies dwindle away you will be the first to complain...

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca

If you think that is true, you need to pay better attention. Where do you think the provincial infrastructure money came from? How do you think that the Alberta government has been able to get to a point where we have some of the lowest taxes in Canada.

Frankly, the faltering Canadian economy is being propped up by Prairie minerals. If it weren't for Alberta and Saskatchewan's oil, gas and mineral sectors, the federal government would never be able to balance their budgets.

Ms. May mentioned that people shouldn't have to go spend six months working in the oil sands. But the fact is, if it weren't for the oil sands, these people wouldn't have any jobs.

Now, I support a whole crapload of the Green Party's policies (such as net neutrality, competent copyright reform, etc.), there are some that are scary. But that's the same with any party I guess.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Do that and when the oil supplies dwindle away you will be the first to complain...

That's a pretty large leap in logic to make. What makes you think she wouldn't be completely aware and braced for a depletion? She's a pretty smart lady.

Reactions: Outta here

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Bunch of %@#$ jokers with one aim in mind.

The American `debate` is no more interesting nor relevent.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Electoral reform; I'd forgotten about that one. I'm voting Green - But just so everyone knows, its not because of their environmental policy.

:wink:

Not that it'll matter is Mr. Kenny's riding. :-?
There are more important issues at this time than electorial reform. Green wanting that as the first priority is pretty stupid.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Did Harper have a script on his left knee? That's the only reason - outside of one fib after another - for eyes to be shifting down and to the left. They wouldn't meet the camera or anyone else's. Condescending. Arrogant. At least he didn't come unglued ... but he blew it! He and Dion both earned the carpet burns on their butts from squirming in their chairs. I'm trying to be objective ... yet I still have to give it to Layton.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB

Well Risus, you don't know me so I fail to see how you could make such a sweeping assumption about me. I'm hardly the type to support something and then complain if there's fall out.

My priorities are a bit more far reaching than immediate gratification - even if any of that was actually trickling around to the rest of us who are not employed in the oil sector. My wages haven't gone up any where near proportionate to the cost of living... not even close. My house value has appreciated - alot- but so has the cost of anything else I would have to purchase if I sold the one I have now. My grocery bill has gone through the roof, I've downsized my vehicle to help with gas costs and I have less disposable income now than I did five years ago.

As for infrastructure LittleRunningGag, I'm not sure what you're referring to. The infrastructure *I* rely on isn't benefiting in any tangible way that I can see. With hospitals, schools, clinics, housing availability and roadways so unbelievably under equipped for the influx of workers the oil industry attracted here, it's become hell to drive, seek medical attention, shop, basically function in my own city....my neighbourhood is STILL without a high school, despite the fact that it's a well established 40+ year old area.... and this is not at all a unique experience in my neighborhood nor my city in Alberta. Whoever it is that's benefiting around here, it sure isn't your average Albertan nor the infrastructure they are using daily. I can't see how in the world it would be a bad thing to freeze further development and let the infrastructure actually have time to ramp up it's ability to cope with this surge in population.

Worse than that though, is that my province participates in a much bigger problem that has much wider reaching implications. I want to see my children living in a thriving environment AND a thriving economy. The Green party is bang on imo, in trying to dig us out of the mire of short sighted greed and self-serving policies that bring far more long term harm than long term good. We have a responsibility and an obligation to our children to look ahead to what they will be facing, and what they need us to do RIGHT NOW to ensure that they have a sustainable economy and environment.

Regardless of how much time we have left to dredge the oil resources out of the ground before the supply is exhausted, we don't have that much time to reclaim the health of our planet. If there's a way to turn that into a win win by investing in green energy and reaping the economic benefits of that, our moral responsibility lies there imo.