Who will help Albertans fix their teeth?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
A provincial government report found last year that dental procedures cost up to 44 per cent more in Alberta than in neighbouring provinces. Does this inflated cost have an impact on dental health? You bet.

A staggering 62 per cent of Albertans reported limiting dental visits because of cost concerns. That is most Albertans skipping basic dental health care because of the price. That is a problem. If dental health is not maintained, complications can send patients to the emergency room at great public cost

So how did Alberta's prices get so out of line from those in the rest of the country?

Professional dental societies publish fee guides in most provinces to give dentists – who are primarily self-employed – a benchmark for what to charge their customers. The fee guides also encourage price competition, improve transparency and better inform patients. But the Alberta Dental Association and College (ADAC) stopped publishing its fee guide in 1997, deciding to leave pricing up to the free market. Critics believe this may have contributed to the current high cost of dental care in the province.

As a result of pressure from the government, the ADAC released a new fee guide this month in an attempt to improve the situation. It recommends a reduction in costs for dental procedures of 3 per cent across the board. Alberta's Health Minister summed it up when she said Albertans "deserve better."

The new fees are still too high for many Albertans. For example, the new guide recommends a price of $75.36 for a standard oral exam for a new patient, compared with the $43.10 suggested in British Columbia's fee guide.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/op...e36153690/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
My dentist's twin is a dentist too. His brother sold his share of the practice in Regina and headed to CGY and now has to rent a spot in a practice while his brother here just built a second location from the ground up and is raking it in.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Put Dental Care under Health Care and Pay the Dentists accordingly..........

Health Minister Sarah Hoffman and the Alberta Dental Association and College have reached an agreement on a revised dental fee guide that recommends an 8.5-per-cent reduction in prices for 60 common procedures.

The suggested reduction is nearly triple the three per-cent reduction the association called for when it initially released the fee guide in mid-August.

That figure wasn’t sufficient for Hoffman, who publicly blasted the association and demanded they “get back to the drawing board.” She felt the guide — Alberta’s first set of recommended fees in 20 years — didn’t do enough to help patients facing some of the highest dental prices in the country.

The minister struck a different tone Wednesday in announcing the revised guide. She said consumers can use the document as a tool to compare prices among various practices, or to pressure dentists to lower their rates.

more

New Alberta dental fee guide calls for 8.5-per-cent price reduction | Calgary Herald

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
A provincial government report found last year that dental procedures cost up to 44 per cent more in Alberta than in neighbouring provinces. Does this inflated cost have an impact on dental health? You bet.

A staggering 62 per cent of Albertans reported limiting dental visits because of cost concerns. That is most Albertans skipping basic dental health care because of the price. That is a problem. If dental health is not maintained, complications can send patients to the emergency room at great public cost

So how did Alberta's prices get so out of line from those in the rest of the country?

Professional dental societies publish fee guides in most provinces to give dentists – who are primarily self-employed – a benchmark for what to charge their customers. The fee guides also encourage price competition, improve transparency and better inform patients. But the Alberta Dental Association and College (ADAC) stopped publishing its fee guide in 1997, deciding to leave pricing up to the free market. Critics believe this may have contributed to the current high cost of dental care in the province.

As a result of pressure from the government, the ADAC released a new fee guide this month in an attempt to improve the situation. It recommends a reduction in costs for dental procedures of 3 per cent across the board. Alberta's Health Minister summed it up when she said Albertans "deserve better."

The new fees are still too high for many Albertans. For example, the new guide recommends a price of $75.36 for a standard oral exam for a new patient, compared with the $43.10 suggested in British Columbia's fee guide.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/op...e36153690/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

I’d hope Albertans would help themselves because im running out of money to help others.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Fortunately, a huge portion of the Alberta population is from Saskatistan so the need for dentistry is reduced.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
It is pricey in the Alberta, but I've found brushing and flossing reduces costs.

Fluoridation of your water supply makes a great, big difference.

Dental abcesses can kill you ... leads to heart failure for a peculiar reason as the infection from a tooth attacks heart valves (really!). I know done one that died that way.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Fluoridation of your water supply makes a great, big difference.

Dental abcesses can kill you ... leads to heart failure for a peculiar reason as the infection from a tooth attacks heart valves (really!). I know done one that died that way.

That's okay, I don't have a heart.
I'm a conservative. ;)

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
If I had a daughter I would try to persuade her to marry a dentist. They make more money than doctors and are one of the higher income professions.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
If I had a daughter I would try to persuade her to marry a dentist. They make more money than doctors and are one of the higher income professions.
Only if he lets you party in Jamaica by yourself. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. Any teeth that come loose can be fixed at home by wearing braces the whole time she isn't on vacation.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
It doesn't surprise me at all. Just getting my teeth cleaned costs over $200. I'm fortunate in that we have a dental plan. I know many people who have rotten teeth and desperately need dental care but simply cannot afford it.

Someone once told me that if you have a daughter, encourage her to date & marry a dentist. They are one of the wealthier ppl in the country. LOL

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
It doesn't surprise me at all. Just getting my teeth cleaned costs over $200. I'm fortunate in that we have a dental plan. I know many people who have rotten teeth and desperately need dental care but simply cannot afford it.

Someone once told me that if you have a daughter, encourage her to date & marry a dentist. They are one of the wealthier ppl in the country. LOL

Oops, already said that - my bad!