Who is Responsible for bad products?

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
If a line of products turns out to cause harm somehow, people will just stop buying it, and thats the way it works in our culture. Sometimes there is a fine, and rarely there might be jail time if a regulation was clearly broken and someone died or was harmed. We expect those responsible to take some blame and pay some price.

There is a lot of situations that are not so clear though.

The OBESITY epidemic, said to be killing more of us than smoking is now and certainly causing a lot more personal grief and lower quality of life for people much more than smoking does. So its a big deal, no pun intended.

It is difficult to know 'precisely' what the cause of anyone's obesity is as it occurs over a number of years and there are so many factors and many foods eaten in that time. But, for the known factors that are affecting most people, like too much carbohydrates and especially the processed carbs with sugar, there could at least be regulations.

Who should pay the fines? Who is responsible? - the ones who make the high-carb foods of course! And if they are STILL DOING IT, consumers need to be notified or the blame really gets big. Their way around responsibility is to put out a new lineup of product and hope we forget.

for eg., GENERAL MILLS is putting on a big advertising blitz about WHOLE GRAINS in their cereals. They say its healthier.
so what about all those years, and countless victims, of advertising and profitting on the former lineup of cereal products they had?

They didn't put warnings on the packages, because they believed that stuff was good or not harmfull, and certainly not fattening. Or at least thats what they had US believing... and they were dead wrong - processed cereals in a box turned out to be one of the major factors in the obesity epidemic. Now we know the effect of CARBS is that they turn to sugar right away after eating them, and make us FAT FAT FAT.
Atkins was saying that in 1985, but mass media and so on made sure that message didn't reach many people. To be sure, General Mills had lobbyists in government offices demanding that the fattening effect of processed grains was not known to the public.

A simple note on the box would have taken away any blame on General Mills ' part, but there was no note.

So now, should General Mills IS, as in "SHOULD BE", RESPONSIBLE.

Compensation, clinics and programs to reduce obesity, real changes in their products, and their support for better regulations for food and food testing are all ways that General Mills would be showing their responsibility.

Instead, what we have is a FALSE CHANGE in their products, as they are being promoted as healthy DESPITE THE FACT THAT SUGAR IS STILL THE SECOND MOST COMMON INGREDIENT in their new line-up of boxed cereals. Even the part about "whole grains are healthy" is not quite right - in a limited amount the whole grains can help, but more than a few spoons might be fattening for most people. And the General Mills "whole grains" are still processed and might have lost most of the natural benefits to health that "actual whole grains" have.

Karlin [thin man, no carbs]

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
Re: RE: Who is Responsible for bad products?

missile said:
Ultimately,we are the ones responsible for any substance we take into our bodies.

I agree completely but with one caveat, we need to be properly informed about the contents of the food we eat (i am thinking specifically of GM ingredients like flour etc). I don't believe we, as consumers, should be required to research the food we eat to that extent. Knowing what's good and bad for you, absolutely that's our responsibility. Having to research anything containing flour to ensure it's not of the GM variety shouldn't be.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
AirIntake said:
What exactly is wrong with GM foods? Any proof that they're bad?

http://tinyurl.com/9ex2r

From the link:

The Monsanto research shows that rats fed GM corn had problems in their livers and kidneys, organs that remove toxins from the blood, said Seralini.

He said there are perhaps 10 studies around the world that have shown similar effects related to GM crops, but funding for research into the health effects of GMOs is hard to come by.

...so yes, there is some evidence and for people such as myself who like to know what they are eating, it's disturbing to say the least that a company is under no obligation to disclose that information even upon direct consumer request.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
Perhaps but it was just a summary of the Monsanto research itself. I'm sure if you contacted Gilles-Eric Seralini he'd be happy to supply with you additional information.

I think the fact that there are only a handful of studies into the effects of GMOs is reason enough to be dubious of their safety. We are talking about our food supply after all. Breeding two strains of a species to create a new one as has traditionally been done is considerably different than artificially breeding two dissimilar species to create something. Think of this way... a Swede and a Kenyan can mate (same species, different strains) but a human and a gorilla cannot (two different species). Personally I wouldn't want to see the outcome of the second scenario and that's essentially what GMOs amount to 8O 8O

Slurpie

Nominee Member
Jun 26, 2005
Re: RE: Who is Responsible for bad products?

missile said:
Ultimately,we are the ones responsible for any substance we take into our bodies.

has anyone seen 'supersize me'?
i love the part when they do surgery on that fat guy I laughed my head off!(even though my friends were puking their heads off jk!)

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
Do you drink diet drinks with Aspertame? Mmmm, methanol. But they won't tell you that, will they? :) Same goes for Splenda.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
Splenda, and indeed all diet food, was created by vengeful chemists who are bitter about having been born with too few tastebuds

Slurpie

Nominee Member
Jun 26, 2005
If people ate responsibly they wouldn't need diet food
though diet pop is alright since there's no caffine in it.