When will Justin Trudeau address the Economy.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
When he starts awarding contracts for Infrastructure? :) I suppose it could be a little tricky finding the most pressing projects where the most people are unemployed.

Look, his move toward addressing the Truth and Reconciliation Commission is a good thing, even though he isn't the one who commissioned it, he gets points for addressing the findings. He has Syrian refugees getting into Canada at an accelerated rate and he is going to do an inquiry into the missing indigenous woman.

Beyond that, everything this new PM has done has been nothing short of a photo-op.
I see you spending like a drunken sailor, but where's the plan Prime Minister Trudeau?

Yeah, I think he's trying to do too much on too many projects too soon. I'd say he's already imported enough refugees for one year, unless he can grab a few professional people to start contributing to the tax base. Maybe now is the time to start picking away at some small infrastructure projects, so there can be a fairly even distribution across the country......otherwise he's going to run out of money.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
But then, this newly minted Prime Minister has yet to discuss the issue that will be most important to all Canadians when the other shoe really begins to drop. How are we going to fix the economy with a shrinking dollar, falling energy revenues and jobs drying up at an accelerated rate?

Questions for Canadians to ponder:

• Where is the much needed revenue going to come from now that oil is in the dumper and the amount income tax dollars continue to shrink?
  • What is plan is in place to get Canadians back to work?
  • How will we replace the lost tax dollars from the energy sector?

I see you spending like a drunken sailor, but where's the plan Prime Minister Trudeau?

Provincial and territorial finance ministers are scheduled to gather Sunday night in Ottawa with federal counterpart Bill Morneau to begin confronting the hard economic truths facing Canada and the new Liberal government.

Several regional ministers have indicated they hope to leave the meetings, which wrap up Monday, with a better understanding of the government’s election promises, which touch on a broad range of issues likely to impact the provinces.

The federal Finance Department has laid out some of the subjects expected to be on the agenda, including Liberal promises of public-pension reform, infrastructure spending and a revamped child-benefit plan.

Finance ministers to meet in Ottawa to confront Canada’s new economic reality | Globalnews.ca

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Provincial and territorial finance ministers are scheduled to gather Sunday night in Ottawa with federal counterpart Bill Morneau to begin confronting the hard economic truths facing Canada and the new Liberal government.

Several regional ministers have indicated they hope to leave the meetings, which wrap up Monday, with a better understanding of the government’s election promises, which touch on a broad range of issues likely to impact the provinces.

The federal Finance Department has laid out some of the subjects expected to be on the agenda, including Liberal promises of public-pension reform, infrastructure spending and a revamped child-benefit plan.

Finance ministers to meet in Ottawa to confront Canada’s new economic reality | Globalnews.ca

I'm no financial wizard but as far as the C.P.P. goes what would be wrong with doubling the premiums and doubling the pension pay out? I like simple! :)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
JLM said:
When he starts awarding contracts for Infrastructure? I suppose it could be a little tricky finding the most pressing projects where the most people are unemployed
What makes you think it is going for repairs?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm no financial wizard but as far as the C.P.P. goes what would be wrong with doubling the premiums and doubling the pension pay out? I like simple! :)

CPP is finally properly managed by a third party and is unraidable by Liberal finance ministers. Don't touch a damn thing.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
If Canada want to withdraw from the world stage and concentrate on improving our own economy there might be some hope. But that's not going to happen.

It can't and won't happen because we are a major trading nation. Most of our wealth has been derived and still does from selling resources and finished goods to foreigners. Most years, we are net exporters. This is very different from our neighbours to the south who are major importers.

You're right, it won't happen. Could it happen? Maybe, but it would take a lot of backtracking.
Canada always did trade with other countries but we exported our surpluses and used our own products first before exporting them. We imported mostly the products we didn't grow or manufacture here.
Trading has gone much too far, to the point where we import so many manufactured products that our manufacturing industries have almost become obsolete and a lot of people have been put out of work.
We no longer feed ourselves. We export food products that are sold cheaper in other countries than they are here. And we import foods that we also export. Where's the sense in that?
And don't even get me started on hydro! We pay high prices for our hydro when it is given away to the U.S.
If we could get our industries that have gone off-shore back, put people back to work and buy our own products it just might help the economy. I think it's called 'diversity'.
It would be nice too if we could buy fresh foods instead of stuff that is picked green and spends weeks in transit and arrives here tasteless.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
One of the main purposes of the meeting tonight! You haven't been following the news! :) :)

To fix potholes or connect Eastern Canada to shiny new ports over highways that aren't two lane paved over former mule trail death traps that can reach Asia?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Look, his move toward addressing the Truth and Reconciliation Commission is a good thing, even though he isn't the one who commissioned it, he gets points for addressing the findings. He has Syrian refugees getting into Canada at an accelerated rate and he is going to do an inquiry into the missing indigenous woman.

Beyond that, everything this new PM has done has been nothing short of a photo-op. The Paris talks are a lot of Countries making promises they likely won't keep and of course, he is taking a bunch of kids from the Sick Kids Hospital to the Star Wars Premiere on whose dime I'm not sure. What a guy!

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau shared this photo on Twitter Tuesday night after hosting a private
screening of Star Wars: The Force Awakens with 20 patients of the Children's Hospital of
Eastern Ontario (CHEO). (@JustinTrudeau/Twitter)

But then, this newly minted Prime Minister has yet to discuss the issue that will be most important to all Canadians when the other shoe really begins to drop. How are we going to fix the economy with a shrinking dollar, falling energy revenues and jobs drying up at an accelerated rate?

I heard a lot of promises regarding economic stimulation, but I've yet to see anything but one silly photo op after another. Maybe its time he started acting like a leader instead of the front man for a boy band. Is this guy our Prime Minister or The Justin Bieber of politics?

Questions for Canadians to ponder:

• Where is the much needed revenue going to come from now that oil is in the dumper and the amount income tax dollars continue to shrink?
  • What is plan is in place to get Canadians back to work?
  • How will we replace the lost tax dollars from the energy sector?
I know that there are some folks, who are not at the nucleus of this economic meltdown, that think there is nothing to worry about, but this is just the beginning of a perfect storm. This is going to ripple out from Alberta and Saskatchewan across every province and those of you who didn't realize it, are now going to feel its effects, because the "horrible tar sand money" the "nimby's" were all whining about will not be there to prop up the economy.

As for economic stimulus, bringing in the refugees and implementing the recommendations of the TRC are going to stimulate the economy, creating jobs in the food, clothing, housing, and education sectors among others.

I'd say he's doing a lot on the economic stimulus front, and stimulating the economy by helping the more disadvantaged and marginalized makes far more sense than doing so by subsidizing wealthy corporations producing luxury products like personal vehicles.

My concern is less with economic stimulus (where he seems to be doing a good job) and more with debt management and potential inflation that he appears to be ignoring.

If anything, he might want to cut down on stimulus. Refugees and TRC suffice for providing more than the needed amount of stimulus.

Yeah. He was elected ... what, a month and a half ago? High time. He should have fixed the economy by now and got the oil industry back in action. Can't this guy get anything right?

Gas prices are decided by the market, not government.

We should try to bribe people to by gas with their tax dollars by subsidizing the petroleum industry.

I'm sitting in ground zero right now. Been out of work for two weeks, at the moment I'm holding my own, but by the new year things will get iffy. I'm lucky in that I have only two debts, so my plan is to scale back, but there are a lot of folks in some very serious trouble and they don't expect a bounce until somewhere into 2017.

So, as much as I'd love to jump on the touchy-feely wagon and say how great he is by appearing on vogue, meeting refugees at airports and attending Star Wars screenings, I'd appreciate if he gets out in front of the biggest issue which will be facing Canada as whole.

Nobody is expecting a miracle, but if he could put away our credit card and get down to work, I know that a lot of Canadians who are in a bit of a pickle would appreciate it.

Can you make any recommendations?

1. Borrow and spend. Trudeau's first choice, but I think it's too short term. Though Harper followed the same policy just with lower taxes.

2. Tax and spend. Better than borrow and spend. I think that was Mylcair's plan.

3. Deregulation. For example: free trade, common labour agreements, eliminating the minimum wage (maybe with a gyaranteed minimum income),vouchers as an alternative to government dictating how money is spent, linguistic deregulation (e.g. no need for bilingual services), etc.

My first option would be 3 above. Harper seemed to like that too at least on the free trade front, but economics aside, he was a bloody xenophobe too concerned about how women dressed.

When the economy takes a turn for the worst and 3 doesn't suffice, then my favourite option is a combination of 2 and 3 above with spending focused on education to help the unemployed, underemployed and underpaid to work at decent wages.

I also support democratization of the workplace, such as co-determination laws as they have in Germany.

My US dollar bank account looks great. Canadian Accts have been drained.

Thanks Justin.

I, like Harper and maybe Trudeau, support a free-floating currency that is free to react to the market. I oppose pinning it to anything and, if it must be pinned to anything, then to gold.

Some can say our woes started with Free Trade. I think getting into bed with China and India was the real killer.

For those who couldn't adapt. The rest thrived. Don't forget reciprocity. If we want them to allow our products into their countries, we must reciprocate. To go back to economic statism would destroy countless businesses that could not have even existed before.

The same for interprovincial free trade. Opponents of free trade and common labour agreements always seem to forget that such agreements require reciprocity. They won't allow our products into their countries unless we allow theirs it ours.