Whats your watermelon secret

snooker

Electoral Member
May 16, 2004
canada big apple
Hi ... On those hot days i find there nothing better to eat then a nice cold watermelon but when buying one i find its hard to tell which will turn out to be really good ... So now i am curious if anyone has a good idea what to look for when buying one ??? thanks

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Hey, I want to know the answer too. Some are so good, others are awful, but as far as I can see they all look about the same in the store.

Are seeded watermelons better than seedless for flavour?

LuShes

Electoral Member
Mar 25, 2002
Kamloops, B.C.
www.canadiancontent.net
I find that trying to get the sweeter tasting watermellon. Is to get one not to large, with a nice deep green. Make sure there are no soft spots.

Try knocking on it with your knuckles, and it should give u a hollow sound like a pumpkin. Generally when its fresh it will give you a louder hollow sound.

LuShes

Electoral Member
Mar 25, 2002
Kamloops, B.C.
www.canadiancontent.net
Diamond Sun: I believe so...I was examining an old honeydew melon in the fridge. Tried knocking on it, and it didn't give as crip hollow sound as fresh ones. More like a muffled quiet sound.

But you never know, I think it is almost hit and miss...But here some information I found...

http://www.purdue.edu/UNS/html4ever/000714.Egel.watermelon.html

Apparantly you want a hollow sounding one that is yellowish on the belly, but not brown.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
The foolproof method to be certain of getting a fresh, sweet watermelon is to go to a grocery where they sell them in halves.