What region/city/location is the TRUE Canada.

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton
I am curious...when you think of Canada in the boarder sense..what image pops in your head (related to geograpical area)...ie/ A city or a region, or some location that if someone where to ask you to see what Canada most represents, you would send them there.

I came across this thought because the other day, i woke up really early and CBC had that test pattern on..than they start the day with the National athem as images of Canada flash by. And its one of those things where i watched and immediately felt drawn by the image..to me it was clearly Canada.

So my own thing is when i think of Canada, i think of two areas.

One is Ottawa. The image of the Parliament Buildings in the background, with the fire fountain thing in the forefront and the tulips off to the side. I see that pic (or a variation of said pic) over and over again, and I am still fascinated by it. I think of how beautiful the architecture and think of all the progress we as Canadians have made vis a vis that building and the laws it passed.

The other image is the Rocky Mountain House area in Alberta, facing the mountains..with the prairie hills and forest blended in the forfront..maybe a grain elevator...cows and stuff..and i think of the pioneer spirit mixed in with the majestic rocky mountains.

Also honerable mention to images of a cottage country in Ontario..that image you see all the time of the wood cottage, with the canoe tied to the doc..a bit of fog rolling in as the sun rises in.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
RE: What region/city/loca

How about the vast wilderness in the north? It does make up the vast majority of our country.

stamps

May 27, 2006
Calgary
I would say the Parliment buildings, the CN tower, the Calgary skyline, the Calgary Stampede, the Rocky Mountains and Niagra falls.... with the Calgary and Rocky Mountain images being the most powerful... the Calgary and area region is the most identifiable and inspiring IMO......

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
Anywhere but Ottawa. The place represents the antithesis of what I like about most of Canada.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: The True Canada

Two cities which I would suggest represent Canada would have to be Ottawa, and the Vancouver area. I see these areas as best representing my own favourite parts of this great union of Canada, due to the history and heritage of Ottawa, and the culture of Vancouver.

In Ottawa, one need not search to any large extent to discover the institutions that assist in making Canada the wonderful nation that it is today. Rideau Hall, for example, the seat of the executive power of Canada, rests here, and welcomes leaders of our foreign friends into our nation; the buildings that house the Supreme Court of Canada stand as a reminder of the supremacy of law, and the Parliament Buildings, of course, are the democratic centre of this nation.

However, in Vancouver, the true culture of Canada can, in my opinion, be found growing and developing. The multiculturalism of the Province of British Columbia is a breathtaking things to experience, and truly brings one to understand that the things that set many apart from one another are truly only ever skin-deep. The nature in the Province is beautiful beyond comparison in Canada.

Grit86

May 8, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
The CN Tower, unfortunately, is what pops into my head first.

Montreal and the Canadian's logo are also quick to come to mind. Montreal was Canada's first real metropolis and represents culture, wordly-ness, and a strong liberal backbone.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Re: The True Canada

FiveParadox said:
Two cities which I would suggest represent Canada would have to be Ottawa, and the Vancouver area. I see these areas as best representing my own favourite parts of this great union of Canada, due to the history and heritage of Ottawa, and the culture of Vancouver.

In Ottawa, one need not search to any large extent to discover the institutions that assist in making Canada the wonderful nation that it is today. Rideau Hall, for example, the seat of the executive power of Canada, rests here, and welcomes leaders of our foreign friends into our nation; the buildings that house the Supreme Court of Canada stand as a reminder of the supremacy of law, and the Parliament Buildings, of course, are the democratic centre of this nation.

However, in Vancouver, the true culture of Canada can, in my opinion, be found growing and developing. The multiculturalism of the Province of British Columbia is a breathtaking things to experience, and truly brings one to understand that the things that set many apart from one another are truly only ever skin-deep. The nature in the Province is beautiful beyond comparison in Canada.

As the Governor General said during her visit to Vancouver, Vancouver is what every city in the world aspires to be.

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
CsL, Mtl, Qc, Ca, NA, Er, SS,MW, Un
Re: RE: What region/city/location is the TRUE Canada.

Grit86 said:
The CN Tower, unfortunately, is what pops into my head first.

Montreal and the Canadian's logo are also quick to come to mind. Montreal was Canada's first real metropolis and represents culture, wordly-ness, and a strong liberal backbone.
yeah, not any more?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
How about the vast wilderness in the north? It does make up the vast majority of our country.
You bet gc.

when ever I get asked about what I see as the true Canada, I start waxing poetic about the cool lakes and trickling streams of the True North strong and still relatively free.