Erasure

Heavenly Action (1985)

It Doesn't Have to Be (1987)

A Little Respect (1988 )

Star (1990)

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Sting upset by cultural appropriation accusations, making reggae music 'feels authentic to me'
WENN - World Entertainment News Network
More from WENN - World Entertainment News Network
Published:
April 18, 2018
Updated:
April 18, 2018 8:50 AM EDT
(FILES) In this file photo taken on March 26, 2018, British musician and singer Gordon Sumner aka Sting (R) and Jamaican musician and singer Orville Richard Burrell aka Shaggy (L) pose in Paris. Sting and Shaggy will release their album '44/876'.PATRICK KOVARIK / AFP/Getty Images
Sting is angry he has been accused of cultural appropriation as he feels he is an “authentic” reggae musician.
The British rocker rose to fame as the frontman of The Police, whose reggae-inspired tracks won them legions of fans in the 1970s and 1980s – and Sting, real name Gordon Sumner, has since returned to the genre by recording an album with Jamaican star Shaggy.
However, in recent years he has been criticised for finding success with a musical style created by black musicians, when for years they struggled to gain mainstream attention.
Rejecting the accusation of cultural appropriation, Sting tells the BBC: “It’s such an ugly term. For me, reggae is something I respect and value, and take seriously. It’s something I’ve learned from.
“I owe a great deal to the whole reggae bass community. My spiritual, musical mentor was Bob Marley – who I knew – and I really feel that I’m doing something that feels authentic to me.”
He adds that working with Shaggy, who he calls an “authentic reggae dancehall superstar”, on their new album 44/876 has given an “extra edge” to the genre.
The Jamaican superstar, real name Orville Richard Burrell, also rejects the idea that white pop musicians imitating his music is a bad thing.
“To see it now, where it is, where it’s a mainstream phenomenon it’s amazing,” he explains. “It makes you feel like we did something. We were part of moving our culture to the mainstream.”
[youtube]L0xKz5TsYb0[/youtube]
Sting and Shaggy: 'Cultural appropriation is an ugly term' - BBC News
Sting upset by cultural appropriation accusations, making reggae music ‘feels authentic to me’ | Toronto Sun

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Shania Twain says stepfather sexually abused her as a youngster
WENN - World Entertainment News Network
More from WENN - World Entertainment News Network
Published:
April 25, 2018
Updated:
April 25, 2018 6:53 PM EDT
Canadian singer-songwriter Shania Twain performed at the halftime show at the 2017 Grey Cup at TD Place between the Calgary Stampeders and Toronto Argonauts. Ashley Fraser / Postmedia
Shania Twain has opened up about the sexual abuse she experienced at the hands of her late stepfather.
The country star revealed all about the physical abuse her stepfather, Jerry, dished out when she was a pre-teen in her memoir, but in a recent interview with The Guardian, she confirmed the sex abuse.
“I’m not going to go into details about it,” she told the newspaper. “I don’t mind saying it, because I do think it’s important that people understand you can survive these things.
related linksShania Twain apologizes for saying she would have voted for Trump
“I feel the sexual abuse goes hand in hand with the physical and psychological abuse when it’s somebody you know. I learned to block it out. Abusers need to manipulate you, whether it’s before or after, and what I said to myself is, ‘OK, there’s something wrong with this person and that person is not well’.”
And Twain reveals she felt there was no way out, adding, “I did feel sorry for myself a lot as a kid. It was either go to Children’s Aid and get saved now or… I weighed it up and thought, ‘If I go to Children’s Aid, we’ll all get separated’, and I just couldn’t bear that, so we all stayed together for better or for worse.”
Shania’s stepfather and mother died in a car crash in 1987.
http://theguardian.com/music/2018/a...xpected-return-freak-illness-country-pop-star
Shania Twain says stepfather sexually abused her as a youngster | Toronto Sun

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'Oh! Susanna': Statue of songwriter Stephen Foster removed from Pittsburgh park over racism concerns
Associated Press
More from Associated Press
Published:
April 26, 2018
Updated:
April 26, 2018 11:04 PM EDT
PITTSBURGH — A 118-year-old statue of the “Oh! Susanna” songwriter was removed from a Pittsburgh park Thursday after criticism that the work is demeaning because it includes a slave sitting at his feet, plucking a banjo.
In October, the Pittsburgh Art Commission voted to take the Stephen Foster sculpture out of Schenley Plaza and find it a new home. For now, it will remain in a storage lot, out of the public view.
On Thursday, workers used straps and construction equipment to lift the 10-foot-bronze statue off its base. It was strapped to a flatbed truck and taken away.
The Giuseppe Moretti statue was completed in 1900 and thousands attended its dedication.
The shoeless banjo player is based on “Uncle Ned,” a fictional slave and subject of a song by the same name. Critics have long decried the statue as racist.
“It’s the single most offensive display of public art in Pittsburgh, hands down,” Paradise Gray, a hip-hop activist, musician and writer, told the Post-Gazette in August . “It permanently depicts the black man at the white man’s feet.”
Others say it highlights that Foster was inspired by black spirituals. Some historians contend the 1848 song is actually an early, subtle anti-slavery song.
A statue honouring an African-American woman will be put up in its place. Residents can submit nominations.
Foster, a Pittsburgh native, is often called the father of American music and was known for enduring tunes from the 1800s.
His songs include “Camptown Races,” ”My Old Kentucky Home,“ ”Beautiful Dreamer“ and ”Old Folks at Home“ (Swanee Song).
He died penniless in New York City in 1864 at age 37.
[youtube]PD9DnGFsH9A[/youtube]
‘Oh! Susanna’: Statue of songwriter Stephen Foster removed from Pittsburgh park over racism concerns | Toronto Sun

Yo0

Time Out
May 14, 2018
South City
Soft Cell - Tainted Love

HTML:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQWWmcbrBiw&index=23&list=RDGMEMQ1dJ7wXfLlqCjwV0xfSNbAVMENZ03gwce_8

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You are supposed to include a link and say nothing, especially you. Somehow I think this would be your version of who God is.