what is a Christian? should I google it?

kiwi_NZ

Electoral Member
May 23, 2009
New Zealand
Who defines what a Christian is?

How is being a Christian different to just being "religious"?

Do Christians believe in life after death and see and hear our loved ones passed over?

If I smoke, drink and swear but still believe in a GOD am I a Christian?

What makes me or not makes me a Christian?

Why are there so many different faiths?

Phewwwwwwww and A M E N ....

Reactions: Niflmir

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Do Christians believe in life after death and see and hear our loved ones passed over?

I would say a Christian is someone who follows the philosophy of Christ.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
What makes me or not makes me a Christian?[/QUO

Living your faith

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en-US
News Many Poles outraged Madonna to perform on holy day
(AP) – 2 days ago
WARSAW, Poland — Madonna's "Sticky & Sweet" tour brings her to Poland's capital on Aug. 15, the Catholic holiday celebrating the heavenly assumption of the Virgin Mary. That's sparking criticism and plans for protests in the Roman Catholic country.
Marian Brudzynski, the leader of the Catholic group Committee for the Protection of Faith and National Traditions, said Thursday he is outraged by the timing. He plans two weeks of protests starting July 31 in downtown Warsaw.
Poland's ombudsman, Janusz Kochanowski, has asked Warsaw city officials to explain why the singer would be allowed to perform on a date bound to provoke and offend.
Even former President Lech Walesa, a Catholic and father of eight, says he would like the concert rescheduled.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

That indeed is a very profound question, Kiwi, with no simple answer. And nobody has the right to decide if somebody is a Christian or not, in spite of the self righteous attitude adopted by some posters in this forum.

I take a simplistic approach to it. If somebody says he is a Christian, then he is a Christian as far as I am concerned. I think that is the only proper attitude to take. As I said, nobody has the right to determine if somebody is a Christian or not, there is no ultimate authority in Christendom.

So if follows that I don’t have that right either. So if somebody says he is a Christian, then he is a Christian as far as I am concerned. The same of course applies to you. If you consider yourself a follower of Christ, a Christian, then you are a Christian.

kiwi_NZ

Electoral Member
May 23, 2009
New Zealand
That indeed is a very profound question, Kiwi, with no simple answer. And nobody has the right to decide if somebody is a Christian or not, in spite of the self righteous attitude adopted by some posters in this forum.

I take a simplistic approach to it. If somebody says he is a Christian, then he is a Christian as far as I am concerned. I think that is the only proper attitude to take. As I said, nobody has the right to determine if somebody is a Christian or not, there is no ultimate authority in Christendom.

So if follows that I don’t have that right either. So if somebody says he is a Christian, then he is a Christian as far as I am concerned. The same of course applies to you. If you consider yourself a follower of Christ, a Christian, then you are a Christian.

That makes total sense to me too SJP ...

At my sisters funeral I ran into a cousin I haven't seen in 25+ years. She said she was a Christian and that she had found God and that God had done all these wonderful things for her and as I questioned her further I learned in fact that it was she whom had done all these wonderful things i.e. turned her life around but she was convinced it was because of God that she was able to become this amazing person, she owes it all to god and being a Christian. She did try her darndest to convert me but she was too freaky for me... I found her belief quite scary...

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
[FONT=&quot]It is my own belief, therefore my Faith, that I best honour my God, not in flatteries of praise, but in my own simple appreciation of all His gifts; not in paying Him dues, but in giving, of my own free will, to Him, His due respect; not in a raucous worship, but in my silent wonder at a sunset; in the still of a lake; in a swift-moving stream; in the simple beauty of a flower ... in the good in man, for it is in these gifts of Mother Earth, not in an environment created by man to please man in which my Spirit thrives.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
That in which man chooses to place his Faith is but a personal preference. It is one's own theological opinion. As an opinion, it can be neither right, nor wrong. God created man as His vision of a man ... in His image. We know not the appearance of God. Since this species called man exists in a variety of shades, shapes, tongues, beliefs, and comes in two genders, it seems logical that our own image of God is that which is created by man ... for the comfort of man.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
I believe there was a man named Christ. I accept Him to be my mentor. I cannot disprove His miracles. I choose not to do so. I understand the Message to be in the man ... in his own acceptance of others for whom they are. In His own time, this man named Christ was persecuted and condemned, by wisdom and ignorance of the day, for His non-conformity and insight ... as I have been in mine. He challenged convention in that He dared to be different. I will not re-crucify my Christ with labels of denomination.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Throughout the history of mankind, the arrogance of man has labelled others and persecuted those who do not conform to his own beliefs. We see it, even today in our alleged enlightened times ... in Catholicism versus Orthodoxist versus Protestantism; in Islam versus Christianity versus Judaism versus.... Theology means just that: Theory! No one knows.... He believes. It matters not whether your Higher Power is named as Good Order and Discipline, Jesus, Allah, Buddha, Hare Krishna, or Harley-Davidson ... so long as it gives comfort to you. That's Faith! It is arrogance for one to believe his own Faith to be another's Truth.[/FONT]

When viewed from the peace of space, our little blue planet ... another of our gifts from God ... is a mosaic of colours, shapes and shades ... white, blue, brown.... The white of the clouds, vapours of life-giving water, seldom varies in intensity. That is the uniform purity of unconditional love. The blues ... the life-givers ... remain another constant. Brown marks fertility ... health in a multitude of shades. Ironically, the browns mark dead spots, and those places densely inhabited by man.

[FONT=&quot]Peace in mind, soul or spirit is an ideal achievable only in acceptance that we cannot control what lives in the hearts of others. In an old Sunday School song, man is labelled as red, yellow, black or white. In my reality, man is those many shades of brown. Our time on this Earth is our Heavens ... or our Hells, dependent on our own levels of Peace.[/FONT]

kiwi_NZ

Electoral Member
May 23, 2009
New Zealand

kiwi_NZ

Electoral Member
May 23, 2009
New Zealand
[FONT=&quot]It is my own belief, therefore my Faith, that I best honour my God, not in flatteries of praise, but in my own simple appreciation of all His gifts; not in paying Him dues, but in giving, of my own free will, to Him, His due respect; not in a raucous worship, but in my silent wonder at a sunset; in the still of a lake; in a swift-moving stream; in the simple beauty of a flower ... in the good in man, for it is in these gifts of Mother Earth, not in an environment created by man to please man in which my Spirit thrives.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]That in which man chooses to place his Faith is but a personal preference. It is one's own theological opinion. As an opinion, it can be neither right, nor wrong. God created man as His vision of a man ... in His image. We know not the appearance of God. Since this species called man exists in a variety of shades, shapes, tongues, beliefs, and comes in two genders, it seems logical that our own image of God is that which is created by man ... for the comfort of man.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I believe there was a man named Christ. I accept Him to be my mentor. I cannot disprove His miracles. I choose not to do so. I understand the Message to be in the man ... in his own acceptance of others for whom they are. In His own time, this man named Christ was persecuted and condemned, by wisdom and ignorance of the day, for His non-conformity and insight ... as I have been in mine. He challenged convention in that He dared to be different. I will not re-crucify my Christ with labels of denomination.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Throughout the history of mankind, the arrogance of man has labelled others and persecuted those who do not conform to his own beliefs. We see it, even today in our alleged enlightened times ... in Catholicism versus Orthodoxist versus Protestantism; in Islam versus Christianity versus Judaism versus.... Theology means just that: Theory! No one knows.... He believes. It matters not whether your Higher Power is named as Good Order and Discipline, Jesus, Allah, Buddha, Hare Krishna, or Harley-Davidson ... so long as it gives comfort to you. That's Faith! It is arrogance for one to believe his own Faith to be another's Truth.[/FONT]

When viewed from the peace of space, our little blue planet ... another of our gifts from God ... is a mosaic of colours, shapes and shades ... white, blue, brown.... The white of the clouds, vapours of life-giving water, seldom varies in intensity. That is the uniform purity of unconditional love. The blues ... the life-givers ... remain another constant. Brown marks fertility ... health in a multitude of shades. Ironically, the browns mark dead spots, and those places densely inhabited by man.

[FONT=&quot]Peace in mind, soul or spirit is an ideal achievable only in acceptance that we cannot control what lives in the hearts of others. In an old Sunday School song, man is labelled as red, yellow, black or white. In my reality, man is those many shades of brown. Our time on this Earth is our Heavens ... or our Hells, dependent on our own levels of Peace.[/FONT]

I may not be religious nor Christian but the above writings are beautifully said and for the most part I agree totally. Thanks for that ...

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
There are over 26 000 "Xian" denominations. I suppose each one is convinced the other 25 999 are heathen fools destined for the beach at Lake Fire. One has to think the rabbi Jesus would turn over in his tomb if he only knew.

istherehelp

Jul 18, 2009

if i say i am a millionaire and do not have 2 dimes to rub together does that make me a millionaire? or does it have to be backed up by some criteria,some proof that i am one? just because i say i am one does not make me one. there is a standard a blueprint if you like or instruction manuel that i can follow to teach me how to be a christian. if i am not following that instruction manuel then i am in danger going off track. like any profession and christanity is a profession there are certain guidelines and principles we must study, learn, adhere,and apply in order to be efficient and hopefully as you gain experience proficient. this is high a calling and not something that s/b taken lightly. the bible says we should count the cost before we make the decision to take on the name of Jesus Christ.:smile:

istherehelp

Jul 18, 2009
The Bible is not clear on what a Christian is. Its text is ambiguous. If it were clear, then there would be a single, universally accepted definition in use among all Christian denominations. We have collected over 40 conflicting definitions. There are probably many more out there that we have missed.

People who disagree with our definition of Christian and Christianity

i agree there are so many divergent factions out there. it is enough to make your head swim. but i can not agree on what you say about the bible. it is not the bibles fault. the bible makes it very clear and simple. it us that make complicated and muddy. during the days of the apostles it was clear cut and precise just what it took to be a christian. the were first called christians by people that lived in antioch. that was because all that they lived for was Jesus. they were sold out. even paul said that he was a prisoner for Christ. they talked slept ate worked breathed for Christ. they were in Christ and Christ was in them. that is why signs and wonders followed them. but alas after they finished their work and the good Lord laid them to rest those followed after them start to compromise the truth and the world started to convert the church. thus the sad state of affairs we find ourselves in now. the point of all this is that the people will recognize who are real and who is not. because like the disciples of old who lived by every word that proceeded from the mouth of God(just as Jesus did)so will we. by his grace may it be you and i. they will know we are christians by our love!