What immigration does to a city (and a nation)

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
783
0
16
here are the facts about the boat people

http://www.discovervancouver.com/GVB/vancouver-vietnamese.asp

Throughout the late 1970s, stories about the Boat People continued to dominate international media coverage of Southeast Asia. Refugees told of paying exorbitant amounts to flee, only to find they were paying unscrupulous smugglers with no intention of providing safe passage. And if they managed to escape, they faced attacks from pirates who raped, looted and murdered defenceless refugees. Thousands are believed to have perished because their rickety boats sank in tropical storms. And if they managed to survive all that, many Southeast Asian countries were unwilling or unable to give them succor.

............

Eventually the arrival of the Boat People amounted to the largest single group of refugees ever accepted by Canada. Between 1975 and 1985 about 111,000 came to Canada, 14,000 of those to British Columbia. The peak year was 1980, when the province received almost 5,000 of the 35,000 that arrived in Canada. What was remarkable was that 30,000 were sponsored by individual Canadians, religious organizations and other non-profit groups. In fact the arrival of Vietnamese refugees marked the beginning of the country's private refugee sponsorship program.

it is a nice gesture for Canada to accept refugees but we do need all types of people to sustain the country
 

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
5,643
128
63
Larnaka
Anonymous said:
here are the facts about the boat people

http://www.discovervancouver.com/GVB/vancouver-vietnamese.asp

Throughout the late 1970s, stories about the Boat People continued to dominate international media coverage of Southeast Asia. Refugees told of paying exorbitant amounts to flee, only to find they were paying unscrupulous smugglers with no intention of providing safe passage. And if they managed to escape, they faced attacks from pirates who raped, looted and murdered defenceless refugees. Thousands are believed to have perished because their rickety boats sank in tropical storms. And if they managed to survive all that, many Southeast Asian countries were unwilling or unable to give them succor.

............

Eventually the arrival of the Boat People amounted to the largest single group of refugees ever accepted by Canada. Between 1975 and 1985 about 111,000 came to Canada, 14,000 of those to British Columbia. The peak year was 1980, when the province received almost 5,000 of the 35,000 that arrived in Canada. What was remarkable was that 30,000 were sponsored by individual Canadians, religious organizations and other non-profit groups. In fact the arrival of Vietnamese refugees marked the beginning of the country's private refugee sponsorship program.

it is a nice gesture for Canada to accept refugees but we do need all types of people to sustain the country

Exactly my point! You got it down.
 

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
783
0
16
hey Andem & Twila, c'mon don't tell me you actually feel threatened by "boat people" *roll eyes* the net has way too much hype, can't believe everything you read folks !!
 

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
5,643
128
63
Larnaka
Anonymous said:
hey Andem & Twila, c'mon don't tell me you actually feel threatened by "boat people" *roll eyes* the net has way too much hype, can't believe everything you read folks !!

I don't just read it, I see it. I live in Toronto and when I'm driving down parliament (for an example), I see something called "Regent Park". This is a perfect example of a ghetto (I suggest you use the dictionary to find the real meaning of the word). I've seen a city degrade with a growing immigrant population.

So if you say I have to see it to believe, I have.
 

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
783
0
16
Andem said:
Anonymous said:
hey Andem & Twila, c'mon don't tell me you actually feel threatened by "boat people" *roll eyes* the net has way too much hype, can't believe everything you read folks !!

I don't just read it, I see it. I live in Toronto and when I'm driving down parliament (for an example), I see something called "Regent Park". This is a perfect example of a ghetto (I suggest you use the dictionary to find the real meaning of the word). I've seen a city degrade with a growing immigrant population.

So if you say I have to see it to believe, I have.
That's Toronto for you, I used to live there too. But it's just one city. Toronto is not the entire country.
 

czardogs

Electoral Member
Jul 25, 2002
234
0
16
101
BC
www.canadiandemocraticmovement.ca
Andem said:
Anonymous said:
hey Andem & Twila, c'mon don't tell me you actually feel threatened by "boat people" *roll eyes* the net has way too much hype, can't believe everything you read folks !!

I don't just read it, I see it. I live in Toronto and when I'm driving down parliament (for an example), I see something called "Regent Park". This is a perfect example of a ghetto (I suggest you use the dictionary to find the real meaning of the word). I've seen a city degrade with a growing immigrant population.

So if you say I have to see it to believe, I have.

Go to any major Canadian city and there will be a run down area. Look closely and see that they are not all inhabited by "immigrants". One of the worst in Canada - Vancouvers notorious east end or crack row is not because of immigrants even though its bordering Chinatown - its almost exclusively whites.

So, I and many others dont buy the chicken little story of immigrants ruining the country.

Immigrants have always made a conveniant scape goat to cover over the complacency of others for our social ills.

Remember now pre war Germany used jews as an excuse for the decade long depression.