What are the liberals doing with our tax dollars?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Article from Canadian Democratic Movement

By Roy Whyte
March 26, 2004

The Federal Budget time has come and gone o­nce again. In its wake are a host of questions and a country feeling left out in the proverbial cold. Paul Martin's first budget as Prime Minister is a real loser and to quote Stephen Harper - "I wouldn't run o­n that". Something is amiss when I agree with Harper o­n just about anything.

So, just what is it about this latest Liberal budget that leaves us feeling the chill from Ottawa? Nothing. Not nothing as in nothing at all, but in that there is nary nothing for the average Joe and Jane Canuck. Joe Sixpack, Johnny Canuck or whatever else you want to call your fellow Canadians matters not, what matters most is that WE don't seem to matter. Sweatshop Paul is laying the foundation of a legacy to live up to his name.

The name Sweatshop Paul is duly apt and appropriate in this case. The Federal Liberals are laying the foundations of a society where the wealthy and corporate elite get what they want, when they want it, while his fellow Canadians sit o­n the outside saying - "what gives Paul, surely there is more of my tax money left over for me?"

From the 2004 Budget:
"At the core of this budget is the recognition that to achieve our goal of better lives for all Canadians, our social and economic policies must be mutually reinforcing. Quite simply, there can be no strong economy without a secure society, and no secure society without a strong economy to support it. And underlying this must be the prudence of balanced budgets that comes with living within our means."

Translation:
"At the core of this and all of our budgets is the recognition of those that donate to our party. Our goal of better lives for them and their families is the hallmark of our social and economic policies. Quite simply, if you are not a CEO, CFO, wealthy or a large Liberal donator we are not here to support you. And underlying this is our goal to enrich our close friends while you gain prudence in your struggle to make ends meet."

So just what is in this budget that the Liberals dare to declare, "This budget lays the foundation for that greater Canada, a nation where individual opportunity translates into economic achievement and social justice"?

Could it be the humorous $2 billion for health care? The feds o­nce gave to the provinces about 50% of the total cost for health care. Our aging population and the real world reality that the feds now give around 16% ensures that the health care system itself will continue to remain o­n life support.

If its not health care how about education? Sorry no luck here either. There is the triumphant announcement of 'up to' $2000 for children in low-income families born AFTER 2003 for post-secondary education in the form of a new Canada Learning Bond. "Up to" $2000 with inflation in 18 years is laughingly pathetic.

In BC for example, average o­ne-year university tuition increases for this year ALONE total more than that pittance of $2000. Lets make o­ne thing very clear fellow Canadians, school is now for those willing to risk massive debt o­n the premise they get employed, and the children of the few wealthy Canadians.

There is money for the military but that is hardly a surprise considering the years of cutbacks and constant deployments. Still the amount given will not stem the bleed. As terrorism continues unabated, contingencies and deployments will be ramped up, as will the associated costs. This budget does not meet the needed requirements for our men and women in uniform.

How did social programs like low-income housing fair with this latest budget? Simply put - they didn't fair well at all. Social programs, especially those around child poverty have been thrown off the table in favour of corporate tax cuts. You know, tax cuts for the multinational companies and their wealthy backers.

You see, corporations are barely holding o­n in Canada. They are having a real tough time earning profits and staying afloat. Corporations in Canada o­nly earned $168.3 billion in profits last year. It's o­nly a new record and a full 15% over 2002 levels. Doesn't that make you feel good that you shoulder a heavier and heavier burden as taxes are offloaded o­nto the provinces and collected via new taxes, user fees and all the other ingenious ways to squeeze us for whatever we have left? Corporate tax breaks Uber Alles.

There is no need to worry though about not being able to heat your home and cook your meager meals. Oops, yes there is. To ensure that the Liberals have enough to give away in other grand plans of misspending they are planning to sell off their remaining stock in Petro Canada. The sale is expected to raise over $2 billion dollars.

It sounds good o­n the surface but considering the energy business in Canada is all but overtaken by foreign companies, this move to give away the last vestiges of OUR resources is troubling. Written into NAFTA are clauses that ensure we give guaranteed amounts of our precious resources to the United States no matter how bad our reserves or prices get. Mexico balked at the thought of signing that clause but they suckered us Canadians. So when reserves start running out you can shiver in the cold knowing Martin and team are giving away stability so they can cover promises and mismanagement today.

So far Jack Layton, leader of the NDP has come closest to pegging down the ramifications of this budget. "It's a privatization budget", as in purposely lean to allow for the further sell off of public assets to those besieged corporate entities.

In that regard - Jack is right. Paul Martin - CEO for Canada is showing us o­nce again that to become Prime Minister does not mean that you have to represent the people of Canada, just those that pay your way to the top.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Jack is right again. I kind of wish he'd be wrong once in a while...I campaigned against him pretty hard during the leadership race. It's also pretty frightening when the two right-leaning parties are fighting over who gets to sell Canada out first. I didn't realise that corporate board seats were that hard to retire to.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Reverend Blair said:
Jack is right again. I kind of wish he'd be wrong once in a while...I campaigned against him pretty hard during the leadership race. It's also pretty frightening when the two right-leaning parties are fighting over who gets to sell Canada out first. I didn't realise that corporate board seats were that hard to retire to.

Hi Reverend Blair, welcome to the forums! :)

It's unfortunate, as you said, that the two right leaning parties are racing to sell out Canada. :(

So what is your history in the political scene?

Cheers!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Well, before I was quite a year old my grandmother took me to an NDP meeting and I snotted all over Tommy Douglas. I've joined and dropped out of the NDP a few times, federally and provincially. Mostly I just kind of pay attention and promote what I think is best for Canada and the world. Usually that matches the NDP platform pretty well.