‘We Are at War, and We’re at Cyber War’: Rex Lee on Tech Hybrid Warfare

Ellanjay

Council Member
Apr 11, 2020

‘We Are at War, and We’re at Cyber War’: Rex Lee on Tech Hybrid Warfare​

China In Focus

In this special episode, we sat down with Rex Lee, cybersecurity adviser at My Smart Privacy. He sheds light on tech-based hybrid warfare, what hybrid warfare is, and how technology is integrated. Lee says: “People don’t realize that any app, whether it’s developed by Google, ByteDance from China, Baidu from China—which is an Android app developer and a Google partner—or Prisma Labs from Russia—which is the most popular photo editing app in the world, which is Prisma Photo Editor—any of these apps are basically legal malware. All apps today enable the developers to surveil and data mine the end user.” “It’s not just attacks on networks. These bad actors can also gain financial information, gain access to banks, gain access to banking accounts, and drain this money digitally, as well as launch ransomware attacks and hold cities, governments, and corporations, hold them hostage until they get paid the ransom. So it’s a broad spectrum of attacks. This is actual warfare. We are at war, and we’re at cyber war. But it’s unofficial because it hasn’t been declared war yet,” he added.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
All this cyber stuff is beyond my computer knowledge. But, I do know that we must stop relying on software developed in third world/ communist countries. Enacting and enforcing strict rules on apps must become a government priority.

Reactions: petros