Voter Caging

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I came across a site discussing the practice of voter caging. This is something I'd not heard of before. The site I was reading at was referring specifically to the U.S.

My understanding of this is that it's a means of suppressing votes through some pretty sneaky methods.

The Brennan Center for Justice defines it as:

Voter caging is the practice of sending mail to addresses on the voter rolls, compiling a list of the mail that is returned undelivered, and using that list to try to purge or challenge voters registrations on the grounds that the voters on the list do not legally reside at their registered addresses.
Further,
In 1981, the Republican National Committee sent mailings to New Jersey voters in predominantly African-American and Latino neighborhoods. The 45,000 letters that could not be delivered were used to compile a challenge list to remove those voters from the rolls. As a result of a lawsuit filed against the effort, the Republican National Committee and New Jersey Republican State Committee entered into a consent decree with their Democratic party counterparts, prohibiting most racially targeted voter caging. In the decree, they agreed, in relevant part, to:

refrain from undertaking any ballot security activities in polling places or election districts where the racial or ethnic composition of such districts is a factor in the decision to conduct, or the actual conduct of, such activities there and where a purpose or significant effect of such activities is to deter qualified voters from voting . . . .

In 1986.... A Louisiana state court judge enjoined the program, finding that the clear intent was to remove blacks from the voting rolls. The national party organizations also returned to federal court in New Jersey, in litigation filed under the 1981 consent decree described above. In the short term, the RNC stipulated that it would not compile voter challenge lists or challenge voters on the basis of direct mail returned as undelivered. Ultimately, the case again settled, with a modification of the 1981 decree prohibiting the RNC from undertaking any ballot security program without the courts consent.
8O

Apparently, there are several methods used to cage and/or suppress voters...Wikkipedia's most recently documented incident is in 2006:

United States Senate election in Virginia, 2006 During the United States Senate election in Virginia, 2006, Secretary of the Virginia State Board of Elections Jean Jensen concluded that the incidents of voter suppression appeared widespread and deliberate. Documented incidents of voter suppression include:[9]
  • Democratic voters receiving calls incorrectly informing them voting will lead to arrest.
  • Widespread calls fraudulently claiming to be "Webb Volunteers," falsely telling voters their voting location had changed.
  • Fliers paid for by the Republican Party , stating "SKIP THIS ELECTION" caused was allegedly an attempt to suppress African-American turnout.
The FBI has since launched an investigation into the suppression attempts.[10]
I've also read that recently it has come to light that the GOP is planning on using foreclosure lists to prevent people from voting. The logic is if they don't have that house anymore then their registration isn't valid and thus can't vote. I can't find verification of this rumour though.

Has this ever occurred in Canada? My google searches only yield sites pertaining to American voter caging.

I also read some references to gerrymandering, which is another practice of influencing voting results via manipulating electoral boundaries, if I understand it correctly.

Now, I realize that the politically savvy here will be familiar with these terms and practices, but as one who regularly attempts to grasp the finer details of political machinations, this is exactly the sort of thing that tempts me to throw my head as deeply into the sand as I can. My gawd - is it any wonder so many are disillusioned with the voting process?!

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I dunno, but I've received my voters card and it states on it....my name "OR to the Elector" so I don't see it happening here. (??)

JMO