Very very soon we will be without....

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
any witnesses to WWII.

Soon there will be no one on this side of the planet that remembers what war is really like.

Think there will be repercussion because of this?

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
I recently had the privilege of working on some photos taken by the mother of a woman with whom my Dad volunteers at the hospital; two photos recording scenes of bomb damage in the village of Reading, England, during the Second World War. I am also working on a set of photos my Dad has from his service with the Army Air Corps in the Pacific; taken at his base on Palawan Island, in the Philippines. I hear what you are saying, Twila. My Dad will be eighty-one in October.

Lisa

Electoral Member
May 22, 2004
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
I get what you mean. Especially for you, far away from where it all took place.
I still hear those stories a lot. They are quite fascinating and I feel that the elder are keen on giving the stories through to us.
The one thing that I am very proud of is, that my family helped a whole Jewish family in the war. They had them hidden in their house, which of course also was a large risk for themselves.
However, it became even riskier (how do you spell that?) when the family got bigger, one even got a child! They all survived the war and started a new life in America. I know this is quite a short version, but i will spare you the details. (living on a few square metres with a whole family!)

There are other older people who do not like to tell about their experiences in the war. My other grandfather never wanted to tell, but we suspect that he was part of the "verzet", i do not know what you call it in English, the people who secretly cooperated against the Germans.

If you are interested in more (questions/stories) just scream.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
I have the story of both my Grand Fathers hiding in the forest near Chicoutimi to avoid the draft. Many of their brothers did the same, as for most of their cousins as well.

Lisa

Electoral Member
May 22, 2004
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
I was just thinking about this subject. One book that reflects the war quite clearly is Soldaat van Oranje (translated as Soldier of Orange). There is also a movie made of it, which is very good.
If you are interested in WWII, watch it or even better read the book.

When my aunt moved into her new house we discovered something amazing. The former owner of the house had lived in it for many, many years and sadly past away.

When my sister and I walked through the house, we discovered that behind the wallpaper in one of the bedrooms two little rooms were conceiled. We were stll children, however we had to duck to get in. Both were about 6m2. We looked at each other and immediately knew what they were probably used for; hiding Jewish people in the war.

We still do not know for sure, but there are so many other hiding-stories that confirm our suspicions. I still find this fascinating. Who lived there? For how long? With how many were they? Did they survive the war?
We will probably never know.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
This a very interesting topic twila. 4 years ago I decided to do my family genealogy, and it was one of the best experiences I have ever had.
I was able to get copies of my grandfathers records from the national archives in ottawa, which are sent for the price of photo copying and postage. It was sheer wonder to read and go through all the documents. These documents are available to anyone who had a relative in world war one. Encluded were even his pay stubs which was 15 dollars a month which he had sent to his mother.

He was wounded twice and all hospital records were included. One surprising item was the fact that he lied about his age, and was only 15 at the time he joined.
My grandfather died when I was 4, so I never really knew him, but to see his handwriting and his own physical description connected me to him in a deep and meaningful way.

I also did find my grandfathers relatives who lived in maine, she forwarded me pictures of my grandfather when he was a boy and when he was in the army and also pictures of his mother. The real gem was the 20 letters that my grandfather wrote his mother during the war, which she so kindly gave to me.
My mother was only 20 years old when he died, and she did not have any pictures of her father when he was young. I had the picture of himself @ 15 in his miltrary uniform blown up and framed. For christmas that year I gave my mother the picture and the letters. I do not have to tell you how it effected my mother, there are no words to describe the emotions that day.
One day the letters will come back to me and I will probally donate them to the national archives in ottawa.
I have alot of genealogy software and if anyone had an ancestor that was in world war one e-mail me and I can do a lookup for you.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
American Voice said:
Something tells me I just gave away a copyrightable image to something called ImagePilot. They gave me free uploading, and a URL, but it was bogus. Have I gotten snookered? Will they now attempt to market my property in the stock image market? I'm a little pissed, Andem.

Are you sure it was bogus? Could it be an error, a glitch?

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
If you will, please proceed to frame 2 on this thread. There you will find a post in which I describe some photographs I have from the Second World War era. I have posted them into a folder at another website, one specifically dedicated to photography. I believe it would be improper to post the link in the clear, as it might be seen to constitute :spam1:

If you'd like to have the link, send me a PM, and I will provide it to you.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Okay, I'm pretty sure I missed something. Be careful of anything that you own the copyright to on the internet though. There are a lot of thieves out there.