US Isolationism Cure Against Terror

Realist Foreign Policy: US Isolationism Cure Against Terror

Chuck Pena, a realist in foreign policy argues, in his piece in the Washington Note, June 16, 2006, as a result of the "debacle" of the US invasion of Iraq, 'that US interventionism is a root cause of anti-American resentment in the Muslim world--which breeds hatred and becomes a stepping stone to violence, including terrorism.' He suggests, therefore, that the US 'stop meddling in the internal affairs of countries... the withdrawal of the US from the hotspots of the world...is the prudent course to take.'

This no less than a new version of the US isolationism of the past. But this is isolationism with a vengeance...

FULL ARTICLE: http://congeorgekotzabasis.blogspot.com[/b]

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
While I agree that the US ought to respect international law, I do not believe the US ought to just lock itself up in a casket; it has much to offer the world by way of culture.

I would simply suggest that the US continue to relate wiht the wider world but do so in a spirit of equality with, not superiority to, other nations. Certainly no one likes paternalistic or "better than thou" attitudes, granted. But then again, there are ways the US can communicate its will to the wider world and exert influence without comming across as paternalistic, condescending or morally superior.

Let's take the US at teh UN for example. Even I hoped the US would have given the US a mandate to invade Iraq due to Iraq's violation of human rights. On theother hand, I also recognised that there might be cultural issues there which the US could not grasp. So when the UN said no to the US, I immedieately supported the decision despite my not fully agreeing with it since it was the will of the international community.

When the US went ahead anyway, it was a slap in the face of teh entire world. So as far as the US trying to get permisison from the UN, no issue. It was only after that teh issue arose.

So certainly the US could engage the International community, and even if it doesn't always agree with the international community, but abides by its willl anyway, it will be respected. But the US should still not be afraid to speak out assertively but respectfully when it disagrees, as long as it abides by the law even when it does disagree.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
the UN did not mandate
any war against Serbia, then operating as Yugoslavia.

That's because NATO authorized action which it was legally entitled to do because it was within its borders.

As for USA isolationism, I'm all for it. If Washington was alive today he would endorse the idea with great fervency.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
The Bush administration’s strategy in Iraq, and more generally for the region, has a high probability of being successful.

A pipe dream and one that has already proven to be unsuccessful. That is, unless you are one to own stock in Halliburton and stand to further profit from Bush's criminal war.