US Government tells Americans how to behave abroad.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
'Speak softly, don't argue and slow down'
By Philip Sherwell
(Filed: 16/04/2006)

Loud and brash, in gawdy garb and baseball caps, more than three million of them flock to our shores every year. Shuffling between tourist sites or preparing to negotiate a business deal, they bemoan the failings of the world outside the United States.

The reputation of the "Ugly American" abroad is not, however, just some cruel stereotype, but - according to the American government itself - worryingly accurate. Now, the State Department in Washington has joined forces with American industry to plan an image make-over by issuing guides for Americans travelling overseas on how to behave.

'Ugly American' abroad: Worryingly accurate

Under a programme starting next month, several leading US companies will give employees heading abroad a "World Citizens Guide" featuring 16 etiquette tips on how they can help improve America's battered international image.

Business for Diplomatic Action (BDA), a non-profit group funded by big American companies, has also met Karen Hughes, the head of public diplomacy at the State Department, to discuss issuing the guide with every new US passport. The goal is to create an army of civilian ambassadors.

The guide offers a series of "simple suggestions" under the slogan, "Help your country while you travel for your company". The advice targets a series of common American traits and includes:

• Think as big as you like but talk and act smaller. (In many countries, any form of boasting is considered very rude. Talking about wealth, power or status - corporate or personal - can create resentment.)

• Listen at least as much as you talk. (By all means, talk about America and your life in our country. But also ask people you're visiting about themselves and their way of life.)

• Save the lectures for your kids. (Whatever your subject of discussion, let it be a discussion not a lecture. Justified or not, the US is seen as imposing its will on the world.)

• Think a little locally. (Try to find a few topics that are important in the local popular culture. Remember, most people in the world have little or no interest in the World Series or the Super Bowl. What we call "soccer" is football everywhere else. And it's the most popular sport on the planet.)

• Slow down. (We talk fast, eat fast, move fast, live fast. Many cultures do not.)

• Speak lower and slower. (A loud voice is often perceived as bragging. A fast talker can be seen as aggressive and threatening.)

• Your religion is your religion and not necessarily theirs. (Religion is usually considered deeply personal, not a subject for public discussions.)

• If you talk politics, talk - don't argue. (Steer clear of arguments about American politics, even if someone is attacking US politicians or policies. Agree to disagree.)

Keith Reinhard, one of New York's top advertising executives, who heads BDA, said: "Surveys consistently show that Americans are viewed as arrogant, insensitive, over-materialistic and ignorant about local values. That, in short, is the image of the Ugly American abroad and we want to change it."

The guide also offers tips on the dangers of dressing too casually, the pluses of learning a few words of the local language, use of hand gestures and even map-reading.

Of course, US foreign policy - and perceptions of it - currently has the biggest impact on the image of Americans abroad. President George W Bush recognised this when he appointed Ms Hughes, a close confidante, to head the country's public diplomacy push. But Mr Reinhard and his colleagues are convinced that individual Americans can also make a difference.

They also want to highlight the positives in foreigners' impression of the US as a land of opportunity, freedom, diversity and "can-do spirit" by boosting business and domestic travel to America.

"In many parts of the world, America is not getting the benefit of the doubt right now. People prefer to dump on us instead. But for many people, corporate America is their main point of contact, and that's where we come in."

Business for Diplomatic Action, which was formed in 2004, has already distributed 200,000 -passport-sized guides tailored to college students going abroad.

The group's next target is to raise funding for a colourful pictorial World Citizen's Guide For Kids for children on school or youth group trips. However, a spokesman for the National Tourism Agency for Britain said last night: "Americans have a certain reputation which, for the majority, is undeserved. These guidelines sound like good common sense but they're not something the majority of our American visitors need. As tourists, they're out to enjoy themselves and have a good time. We continue to welcome them."

telegraph.co.uk

margrace

Mar 27, 2005
Ontario
Travelling in Scotland and Ireland last spring, we had to assure people more than once that we were Canadians.

But on the other hand if the Scottish people want tourists maybe some of them should clean up their act as well.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I've never noticed people being mean to Americans and nice to Canadians abroad. I really think that's something Canadians like to believe to stroke our egos. Individual behavior seemed to be much more important.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
As a Canadian who has lived in the US for the last seven years I wish the government would publish something like this to change behaviour of Americans in the US as well as outside it.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
During the on-slaught of Snow Birds heading to warmer climates in the US haven't some of the beaches posted no "Speedos allowed" signs? Grape smugglers, well that is what we call Speedos in NS.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
hahahaha Tam.... that's hilarious.... England's already on alert fer yer arrival and Alberta's herdin up all the c'boys in the area to keep yer pagan keister outta trouble while yer here! Ya better share tho!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Mirror.

Brian Reade

MORE YANKS ALOUD

THE US State Department has issued guidelines to Americans travelling abroad in a bid to bury the loud and arrogant stereotype of the Yankee tourist.

"Think big but talk and act smaller," they are being told, because "surveys show we are viewed as arrogant, over-materialistic and ignorant of local values."

Hey, buddies, come on. You're not all like that. Kevin Spacey's OK.

Besides, it would be a tragedy if you followed these guidelines and we were denied the sight of chequered lard monkeys waddling down our streets weighed down with camcorders, asking directions to the nearest vomitorium (or whichever burger joint Chad from Palookaville recommended).

Banning the stereotypical American tourist would be a disaster because seeing them is one of the few occasions we Brits get to feel good about ourselves. It makes us realise we do have a more cultured lineage.

Spend 10 minutes in their company and you end up feeling like a Keats or a Shelley. Thin, brilliant, suave, and desperate for industrial-scale quantities of opium.

Stay loud, guys. And we'll all have a nice day.

mirror.co.uk

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
For this instance,those surveys were right on :) It's time that every tourist realizes that they are guests and a bit of politeness does go a long way.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
As you say, Missile, other tourist than Americans need to learn that when you visit another country, the purpose is to learn from that country, and enjoy the differences in the country-- otherwise stay home. How many times do you hear tourists say "this isnt like at home- we could get this or do this or that at home!!!" Well, then STAY at home.

I still laugh at a time I was in Spain, enjoying a fabulous meal at an outdoor restaurant in Seville- there was a flamenco guitarist and the evening was balmy. The restaurant was famed for its superb local fish, and indeed I was enjoying a freshly caught delicious prepared Spanish dish. A British couple sat at the table next to me and perused the menu..." Oh God, the woman said, they haven't got anything worth eating" Her doting husband replied, "Don't worry love, I'll tell the cook how to prepare It!" He called over the waiter and said in LOUD, SLOW english "MY good man--do you have FISH and CHIPS--you know Fish cooked in Batter---"
I hate to say it, but somehow that cook produced a stodgy looking plate of fish and chips for them, and now there is one couple back in England saying how wonderful the food is in Spain.. silly bunts.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Wait a minute, let me get this straight. A british couple travelled all the way to Spain for Fish and Chips when they could have gotten the same thing in much less time and without travel and hotel costs just down the street from where they lived? Oh boy!

Doesn't surprise me though. Here in China we've got plenty of Canadians living just as they were in Canada. Spend years in China and still can't order a mean without an interpreter, just living in their own end of Shanghai's Bund, surrounded by European Architecture. Why not just go back to Canada then? That's why I got out of Shanghai; many foreigners there have just developped their own ghetto.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
Yeah- I lived in Hong Kong for a while and the same thing- the expats hung around together and just went to the local British pub to chat about how they missed England. They missed so much of the place and the food- some people had never even gone from Kowloon to the Island on the Star Ferry! I loved going through all parts of the place and seeing so much different stuff.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Funny, my best friend, who spent seven years in Asia and traveled extensively, says by far the worst travelers are the Germans, followed by the British.

He knocked a young German man out in a motorcycle rent shop in Thailand after the moron kicked the small, elderly Asian lady minding the store. (He smacked him with the helmet he was carrying by the chin strap :))

That is hilarious, as I believe it is the only time in his life he has struck another person. A lover, not a fighter.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
I love it when the crass tourist assumes the people in the country are dumb and they shout out their questions in English slowly (because of course they havent bothered to learn the language of the country)....

DO....... YOU....... KNOW....WHERE...... I....CAN.....FIND...
THE.....PICASSO......... MUSEUM.....ART....PICASSO.....

And they get a wonderful response in English, " Yes, sir, you go down five blocks and then turn right and in about twenty feet there is a brick building with a gazebo out front and ......"

and then the stupid tourist still doesnt recognize that he has been spoken to in English so he yells again

THANK............YOU............

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
That's hilarious!

But I've also seen the opposite. The Chinese, seeing my Uighur friend (Uighurs are Chinese but of Turkik nationality, so many do look like foreigners from Europe of the Middle East, not to mention alot of Russian blood in the North West of China) shout out Laowai (foreigner), Hello! and then procede to practice their English with him. He loves it since it gives him more of a chance to practice his English and, besides that, he's a seperatist himself so he appreciates the confirmation on the part of locals that he is indeed a foreigner! The best part is when they ask him what country he's from and he answers "Eastrn Terkestan" (misspelling intentional here). That what many Uighurs like to call Xinjiang although it is an illegal term in China due to its political connotations. Those who know the meaning suddently wipe the smile off their faces as fast as lightning! That's funny! And if they don't know, they ask were's that, and he explains it's Xinjiang. And then they wipe the smile off their face!

I love it.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
That's interesting! I didn't know about this separatist area in China. Maybe one day China will break up into bits as the Soviet Union did.

Are you from China originally or just working there for a few years?